Did you start with RWS?

FlyingWitch

yes, this was my first. I still have it and use it sometimes. it's the best for beginners

lightdragon

yes. and i made a copy myself from a book 22 years ago.

adelaidechoc

My first deck was Universal Waite, and it turns out to be a good starter deck for a beginner like me :)

My second deck is Hanson-Robert's I just bought it, and I too love it.

Now I'm looking for a Robin Wood deck, I'm a fan of Waite's clone :D

sweet_intuition

My first deck was the RWS (Original Rider Waite Deck to be precise), and was exclusive for 7 years. I don't read with it, but I love it and it has the prettiest box!

easternsunrise

I studied the Universal Waite first and still use it from time to time.

afrosaxon

I first learned on the Motherpeace, then picked up the RWS when I joined a tarot circle. Haven't picked it up since because I don't particularly care for it, but I understood why the deck is so recommended for beginners.

T.

Michael

I started out with a 1JJ Swiss back in the mid 1970s and moved to a RWS in the mid 1980s. I seldom use a RWS deck these days though.

Queen of Disks

The Universal Waite was the first Tarot deck I actually understood. I tried a couple of odd things before, but I just didn't get it at the time.

berrieh

I learned the Tarot on the RWS. Could never read well with it, but it was the deck I pulled out and attempted with. Fell down quite a lot. :) It wasn't for me, as far as fortune telling goes, but it told me the story of Tarot, I think. Or, rather, one story of Tarot that links to many others.

Used to read with the Universal, which is pretty much the same thing in better (IMO) colors, but my current deck sits on the shelf. It doesn't really flow. The one that got destroyed used to be amongst my favorites. Interesting how things change.

Promise

My first was the Universal Waite. In the beginning, I wasn't very sure if this deck was going to "work" for me; the people looked flat and stiff, and nothing really spoke to me. After trying to work through the LWB, I became even more frustrated with it. It was over my head, and nothing made sense, and I was in a panic.

But one day, I just pulled out the cards one by one, and I asked myself "What does this image say to me?" From then on, it clicked. I took a more intuitive approach to it, and it all seemed to snowball, in a good way.

I've moved on since then, but I still have the deck, and I still work with it sometimes when I'm stuck and just feeling like nothing's clicking.