Did you start with RWS?

uwe

My first deck was the1JJ Swiss. I found this deck incomplete in my mother in law's attic. That was 1977...such a long time ago. I soon discovered the Rider Waite and never looked back. It's still a firm favourite of mine, especially the trimmed version which looks rather vintage now.

Teheuti

My first was the University Books edition of RWS. I fell in love with it when, 40 years ago, I saw a copy of Eden Gray's Tarot Revealed and I went looking for a deck. Although I got a couple of other decks, too, over the next few years (Aquarian, Marseilles, Brotherhood of Light, Thoth) - it was RWS that has always spoken to me most strongly and to which I keep returning.

Mary

mac22

Teheuti said:
My first was the University Books edition of RWS. I fell in love with it when, 40 years ago, I saw a copy of Eden Gray's Tarot Revealed and I went looking for a deck. Although I got a couple of other decks, too, over the next few years (Aquarian, Marseilles, Brotherhood of Light, Thoth) - it was RWS that has always spoken to me most strongly and to which I keep returning.

Mary

You sure you're not looking over my shoulder at my first decks [sans the TdM] in my first 30yrs... hehe....:)

Mac22

Starling

Teheuti said:

Mary

Was that the book with the black cover, or the one with the grey cover? I had them both and although they were pretty much alike, they actually were slightly different. I had them both at one time.

Teheuti

Starling said:
Was that the book with the black cover, or the one with the grey cover? I had them both and although they were pretty much alike, they actually were slightly different. I had them both at one time.
Eden Gray's _Tarot Revealed_, that I first saw, was the hardcover with a predominantly red cover (same as the black paperback).

The grey cover paperback is _Mastering the Tarot_ - my favorite of her three books if you want simple, straight-forward RWS card meanings - I still give it to teenagers who just want to do readings for their friends. No muss, no fuss.

_The Complete Book of the Tarot_ was her third - with info on meditation, the Tree of Life and a rather quirky version of GD astrology (she made some changes). In 1971, in England, I could only find it in a library - so I copied almost the whole thing out by hand. Still have the notebook.

Mary

Baroli

I bought a RW deck back in,..............1968-69 I don't remember, and putzed around with it. It wasn't until a few years later I stumbled upon paperback version of Eden Gray's and then bought this book called "Tarot for Yourself" by the author,......ahum.........what's her name???

Just joking, Mary Greer. Been a huge resource for me.

Baroli

Teheuti

Baroli said:
then bought this book called "Tarot for Yourself" by the author,......ahum.........what's her name???
Just joking, Mary Greer. Been a huge resource for me.
Thank you, Baroli. For years I agonized over what I could possibly have to add to Tarot literature. Then I realized that so many of us had been learning Tarot on our own - using it for ourselves, both for a lack of anyone else during our study moments, and for the personal connection we were making to the cards. I was also teaching classes in personal diary techniques for adults in a college degree-completion program who needed to document their life learning. It was one of those breakthrough moments when I put the two concepts together in my head. Glad it worked for you.

Mary

dadsnook2000

RWS Deck was my first

I became infatuated with astrology in 1972. Buying many books on the subject, one of those early books was by A.E. Thierens, "Astrology & the Tarot." This is what led me into a parallel study of the Tarot. My first deck was the Waite Smith deck with the cross-hatched backs.

The interesting part of the story relates to several of my Theosophical friends going into the wilds of Canada for a "retreat" that came to them in dreams and meditations. While there, I decided to wood-carve a plaque while on vacation. It came to me that I should carve a tarot-card for a close friend. I didn't like the Waite-Smith card image for what I had in mind, so I changed the carving. When I presented it upon their return, they were astounded because it depicted exactly the key experience of their shared retreat trip. The tarot has been part of my life since the early 1970's, more so the last 7 or 8 years. Dave

nicejade

My first was also RW. I thought it was the go to deck. I really spent time connecting with it even though I think it looks awful. I then found the whimsical deck which I thought would be so perfect for me because I love the nursery rhymes and fairy tales but I was so used to RW (not like I was great but I did bond with it). That the Whimsical Deck doesn't make any sense to me. lol. I kept trying to use it and getting frustrated and falling on RW. It was like trying to learn a whole other language.

I am going to begin trying again.

flicker

no i started with a deck my bf bought for me.a astrological deck.