Dipping my toe in Marseille pond

RussianSoul

Another classmate is peeking in on your thread, mac22! Hello!

I am here to invite you to TdM reading exchange I host on this forum. This is TdM Round 15 we are just finishing up: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=86016

The new round will start on November 1st. Join us and play!

mac22

le pendu said:
I think that's a great question

I suspect it might get very interesting, and possible a bit controversial.

Do you think it might deserve a thread of it's own? Are you interested specifically in the Noblet? Just the Marseille?

Well since Noblet is Marseille -- why not expand the question to to all Marseille. Did the church see the early Marseille decks as hersey and a threat to its power? Did the Church actively attempt to suppress it?

Mac

mac22

RussianSoul said:
Another classmate is peeking in on your thread, mac22! Hello!

I am here to invite you to TdM reading exchange I host on this forum. This is TdM Round 15 we are just finishing up: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=86016

The new round will start on November 1st. Join us and play!

Thanks for the offer..... but I'm not ready to read with TdM yet....we've barely said hello yet....:)

Perhaps in a few weeks

mac22

philebus

So far as I know, most of the packs that replaced the pope and popess did not do so by the Church's request but rather from caution. The Marseille pack never dropped them and when the pattern found its way back into Italy, nothing was said.

The only instance I know of where the church demanded changes is the Tarocco Bolognese, or the Tarocchino. Interestingly, the reasons for the demand seem to be political. OK, I'm reading from Micahel Dummett now and paraphrasing.... The situation arose in 1725 when a pack of cards was produced featuring geographical information on them. In one of the cards was the claim that Bologna was a 'mixed' government. Actuala, Bologna was a Papal state that enjoyed a great deal of autonomy. The nationalism is what caused the upset and the card maker was arrested. This proved to be a political mistake, arosing the people and so to calm the situation he was released and a face saving demand for changes was made.

venicebard

mac22 said:
Ok I finally did it. I got serious about the Marseille decks. I was lucky enough to get in JMDs 30 week course [woohoo]. We're using the full Noblet deck.
That's a pity (I mean the choice of deck).
First, What was the Church's view on this new thing playing cards with trumps that had depictions of the Le Papesse , Le Pape, Le Diable, Ll batelevr with a penis in his hand? Is a human or [sacred] bull penis?
If you were using the standard TdM, instead of Noblet's (IMO) somewhat bitter satirical version, you would note that what LeBateleur holds is a rod or tube and that there is a quite striking but carefully obscured (to evade the authorities, no doubt) circumcised penis extending from the left curtain to the right curtain in LaPapesse in the form of the clasp holding together her cloak. The reason for its presence here is that II LaPapesse represents the repose of the cloister, and it is the sounds and stresses of lovemaking that the woman seeking the cloister is largely seeking shelter from . . . not to mention the fact that it ultimately represents (by bardic numbering) the letter heh (bardic E-eadhe-aspen), and heh was the letter added to Abram to make Abraham in honor of his circumcision. This is the trump of the heh that in Hebrew was numbered 5 and signified the hand given in agreement (i.e. a covenant).
There is a definite intentional color scheme to the RWS what is the meaning of the Noblet color scheme or the entire Marseille for that matter?
In the Marseilles proper (by which I mean the Grimaud), there is a definite meaning to the dichotomy between large figures dressed in red and blue and smaller figures in flesh . . . but that's another story.
The RWS minors retell the Grail tale....Is there theme yo the Noblet minors?
The court cards convey the idea, methinks, especially in the suit cups, where we have the Grail Knight, Grail King, Grail Maid (in the form of the Queen?), and the thief (Knave) who finds that it only nourishes the worthy (hence the look of disgust when he lifts the lid of the stolen chalice and finds it empty).

Okay, I'll crawl back under my rock now.

venicebard

mac22 said:
I'm surprised that no one has commented with thoughts on why Noblet put a penis in Le Basteleur's hand?
Perhaps he was satirizing the Marseilles Bateleur: since it is trump number 1, it was his way of calling him who preferred the standard Marseilles a prick, I guess. But sometimes a rod is just a rod, and I suspect his bitterness towards his model (the Marseilles) clouded his judgment.

(I should explain that I am one who considers that a standard Marseilles was already in existence even though none survive from quite as early as the non-standard Vieville and Noblet)

le pendu

Ha ha ha ha!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

:)

right then. We know the Noblet is the oldest existing. It has clear ties to older historical decks. I think it's the PERFECT choice for the study, and there is little doubt in *my* mind that the Conver is the corruption of the pattern, not the other way around.

But really, that's another thread isn't it?

edit:
I'm sorry I laughed. I'm overly protective when the Noblet is maligned, I too have spent years studying these decks and, to me, the historical basis for the Noblet is very strong. Of course, anyone could and should be able to express their opinions without ridicule, so I apologize.

mac22

venicebard said:
(I should explain that I am one who considers that a standard Marseilles was already in existence even though none survive from quite as early as the non-standard Vieville and Noblet)

Uhhhh....ok:) What evidence have you to back your opinion?

mac22

mac22

le pendu said:
Ha ha ha ha!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

:)

right then. We know the Noblet is the oldest existing. It has clear ties to older historical decks. I think it's the PERFECT choice for the study, and there is little doubt in *my* mind that the Conver is the corruption of the pattern, not the other way around.

But really, that's another thread isn't it?

edit:
I'm sorry I laughed. I'm overly protective when the Noblet is maligned, I too have spent years studying these decks and, to me, the historical basis for the Noblet is very strong. Of course, anyone could and should be able to express their opinions without ridicule, so I apologize.

From what I've learned in class and my own nascent research into the Marseile decks I would have to agree with you:D

mac22