Discussion Thread for: The Making of a New AT Collab Deck

gregory

Phew. A decision. :D

Just to clarify option 2: What I think most people will do is to send the images straight to Printer's Studio to get their personal copy. Having made 20-something copies at once is significantly cheaper though. And if I remember their conditions correctly they ship to a list of people directly. So would it be covered by option 2 if one member ordered at Printer's studio, shipped the decks to those members who contributed to the deck and want a copy (or let Printer's studio do it) and was paid for the expenses?

This option would be swell!
Not sure Solandia would be happy with it, actually. One member printing up for another member is a whole different thing - and as long as you aren't trying to line up backs, it's easy enough to print, as anyone who printed off their Myce decks can tell you. It's just like printing anything else. Drop the images into a word document and away you go.

Do you really think MOST people would send them away, trzes ?

Alta

Hi trzes,

I think Solandia was pretty clear that it stays in the hands of the individual artists. Even saving money, there is still the 'this has slipped out of my control issue'. Please, let's stick with the plan or this starts again.

Alta

gregory

Actually - if you want to print your own, and line up the backs (which I shall NOT attempt) WendyWu has a system that works which she offered up for Frankie...

Or there's always copy shops - take your own personal files there and bingo.

trzes

Do you really think MOST people would send them away, trzes ?
Maybe not, but why wouldn’t they? Is there any difference between printing a single copy myself on my ink jet printer, having a single copy made in a copy shop or having a single copy made by Printer’s studio? Is there anything that would make the single printout by Printer’s Studio less legitimate? Or more dangerous? Of course the quality is much better…

And if several people would coordinate their individual printouts, what difference does that make? It would be a private agreement between those people. And it wouldn’t increase the number of existing physical decks by one single copy.

Hi trzes,

I think Solandia was pretty clear that it stays in the hands of the individual artists. Even saving money, there is still the 'this has slipped out of my control issue'. Please, let's stick with the plan or this starts again.

Alta

The “this has slipped out of my control issue” starts as soon as thirty-something contributers have access to the whole lot of hi res images. If this risk is meant to be minimized then the best thing is to have only one trusted member deal with it and provide the cards to precisely those who are entitled to get a copy. Over at TCF this method has worked smoothly ever since I have been around there. The deck isn’t being published, there are no editions, no going public or whatever. Those who made a card get a printed copy if they want to, full stop. And again, the existence of some physical copies is the least of a risk concerning piracy/commercialization/personal exposure, no matter whether they are printed in one go or individually by the members. I already posted in length about that and nobody even tried refuting anything I said there.

I also don’t see what I am starting “again” here. This is an entirely new issue. So far we have only discussed whether to have the cards provided for contributers only or for a wider audience, since the result of the poll was pretty clear. IF of course Solandia’s answer to my question will be no, then I’ll respect that and the whole issue will be settled at once.

gregory

There is in fact a major difference. At TCF, only ONE person has access to the print-quality files, and so ONLY the correct number of decks are ever printed - and not by one of the major POD printers, but a small private press. I believe she then destroys the files, but I'd have to ask. If we all have the printable, files that does take it way past that level of control. It could easily result in someone printing loads for resale - as has happened before, in digital form at least - see Aulruna's post I referenced.

trzes

There is in fact a major difference. At TCF, only ONE person has access to the print-quality files, and so ONLY the correct number of decks are ever printed - and not by one of the major POD printers, but a small private press. I believe she then destroys the files, but I'd have to ask. If we all have the printable, files that does take it way past that level of control. It could easily result in someone printing loads for resale - as has happened before, in digital form at least - see Aulruna's post I referenced.

That is exactly my point: The problem isn't the coordination of some printed copies as such, but the number of people having access to the files, no matter whether a print is intended or not. And the more copies are made, the less attractive a POD service is compared to other printers.

gregory

Which is exactly why I would NOT be happy with one person - or indeed many - who have the files going to Printers studio or worse, TGC, and saying they will print for x number of members. The point at TCF is only one person having the printable files. Which is not the case here. And as Solandia has said no to "a printed deck" I think we are indeed back to print it yourself or do without. A local copy shop is IMHO close enough to a self print not to be an issue, but uploading the images to a POD site is something else.

reall

well, im sure in one thing I wont*print on your own*its just to much hassle!^^
and feeling is not the same as to hold legit deck!^^ XD ;)))))))))))))

but I will provide hi res img for my card so if anyone wish to go that road good luck with that!^^ ;))))))

gregory

Lord - you just put the files in a document and click print. Where's the hassle ? Seriously ?

I'm sure the (other) organisers can send them 4 to a page in a pdf to make it even easier, if you need it.