Do I need to charge/ cleanse my Tarot cards before 1st reading?

alegna

Thank you Major Tom for moving my thread to somewhere where there will be more informative results.

Thank you to everybody else for your kind replies.

Will take note of what has been said and see if I can get a good reading out of my cards... :)

Thank you...

P.S.: How do I know that it is an accurate reading? i.e; the answer to my qn and not just any cards that I had pulled out of the deck?

gregory

You will only know that by trying it out. That's the only way you can find out. It can help to read for someone else who can perhaps clarify more whether what you see fits them; it is sometimes harder to see this if you are reading for yourself. There are plenty of reading exchange groups here; join a couple and see what happens ! (Signed: one who would not read for over 30 years....)

Kanntara

I think it depends on what feels right. Not just from person to person but from deck to deck. I do not do anything to my main deck. I tried once and it was most uncomfortable and I could not finish. I felt like the deck was telling me, "I'm happy the way I am". Some decks I've received I have cleansed. I remember one deck from eBay I couldn't even bring in the house until I cleansed the box it came in.

Just go with what feels most right for you and your deck.

Catmoon

Judith D said:
Cleansing under a full moon does sound very wiccan - and there's nothing wrong with that. I like to say hello before I start with a deck, and thank you when I finish, and I do love to have a candle lit and incense burning just because it sort of gets me 'into the right space' but don't ever feel I have to do anything.
I'm not wiccan (just for the record, but of no importance...)In spite of my cultural back ground that is very similar.
So I don't feel the need of cleasing it, but after the reading I usually pass the deck by the incense smoke and then the light (Simbolically, rituals keep us focused;) at least repetitive actions work for me:))
:love: and :lightbulb to you

Hemera

Well, obviously the only person who can answer your question about the necessity of cleansing/purificating your cards is you;)

I often cleanse my new cards but sometimes I don´t. I usually ask myself whether I feel it is necessary or not. I guess it depends a lot on the deck. If it is a special one that I really feel I´m going to use a lot, I may make a more special ritual to connect with them better.
I often go through all the 4 elements with them in some way. I may breathe /blow into them for Air, take them outdoors on the lawn for Earth, taker them through a candle flame (not too slowly;) for Fire etc. I often sleep with the deck,too.

starrystarrynight

Hi Alegna,

Well, as everyone else has said...do whatever feels right to YOU.

I sometimes place a few crystals into some of my wooden tarot deck boxes but for no other real reason than so that I don't misplace them! (I have a few very tiny, expensive crystals.)

I do only a grounding ritual before starting to read--but, again, that is merely a personal way for me to clear my mind before even shuffling. And I have had some very intuitive readings straight out of the carton without any thought to cleansing a deck in any way. I just shuffle very well before a first read with a new deck (after I look through it first, of course.)

Again, whatever you find works for you is exactly the right way for you to proceed!

alegna

I've shuffled the cards, slept with the cards..... But they still dun feel rite...
The readings that i've done were kinda disappointing so far... :(

Sophie

alegna said:
I've shuffled the cards, slept with the cards..... But they still dun feel rite...
The readings that i've done were kinda disappointing so far... :(
How long have you had them? It takes time - quite a lot of time - to get to know one's cards. Take them around with you and look at them during the day when you have a moment. Try and see the details. Learn to look at them. You can also start journalling individual cards and readings - and keep your spreads to 1-3 cards at first - no need to make it long and complicated before you know them well. Charging cards won't help you to know them. It will only affect them energetically.

alegna

Helvetica said:
How long have you had them? It takes time - quite a lot of time - to get to know one's cards. Take them around with you and look at them during the day when you have a moment. Try and see the details. Learn to look at them. You can also start journalling individual cards and readings - and keep your spreads to 1-3 cards at first - no need to make it long and complicated before you know them well. Charging cards won't help you to know them. It will only affect them energetically.

Had them for awhile.. Dun bring them ard cos the box they came in is quite big and bulky... Been doing 1 and 3 cards reading...

Journalling.. been doing that...

the booklet that came with them weren't very insightful... haiz....

Nevada

I've never charged/cleansed a new deck, though I always go through to make sure all the cards are there, which usually means putting them in numerical order if they're not already. To me reordering is a way of straightening out the energy, too.

Nevada