Do I need to charge/ cleanse my Tarot cards before 1st reading?

Savvy

I didn't cleanse or charge my feck when I got it, but now I clear after each reading. I use my left hand to sort of swirl the deck three times counterclockwise, and that's that. Three being a cool number, left hand being the banishing hand, and counterclockwise undoing. It just sort of came to me.

tarotgirlfl

Hi alegna, I'm new to tarot myself so I'm no expert, but in the class I'm taking, it was suggested that we "dedicate" our new decks. Cleansing wasn't necessarily prescribed for a brand new deck, but at least a dedication where you ask that the deck be used for only the highest and best intentions, etc. :)

alegna

Do i have to arrange them in the correct order if I dun wan a reversed reading?

Reversed reading usually means the opposite of the card's meaning rite?

The cards are too big for me to shuffle properly so at times they'll fall out.. Do I need to take note of those cards too?

gregory

I wouldn't even think about reversals yet. Just shuffle any which way and when you lay the cards out, put them the right way up anyway. It's nowhere near as simple as opposite meanings....

And chill a bit. Worrying will make it harder. It will come when you're good and ready (believe me, I should know.... 30 years delay in my case... that is NOT the standard, don't worry about that either :D but a bad experience trying too hard to work from books can kill it. Try one card readings for a while.)

blackbird78

Cleansing the deck

I find waving the cards one by one over a white candle really helps to dispel the energies when they get too cluttered from readings.

Tara2007

Yes, blackbird, I've done that as well. I use holy oil or holy water on my hands sometimes and then run my fingers over the cards, and that works well. I never wait until a full moon, but I have dedicated my cards to various causes at that time.

Basically, I use whatever issue is most important at that time, and use things that pertain to that kind of problem, type of oil, herbs, candles, sometimes objects like pictures as well, and I make a short ritual of it by asking for guidance and understanding. At the end of the reading, I would then close by issuing a thanks for the help I received.

alegna

Thank you all...

I did NOTHING to my cards!!!! :p hehe...

Anyway I did my 1st celtic cross reading ( kinda ambitious of me) and the results were pretty good ( in my interpretion).

Please give me some pointers?? :p

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=62505

Thank you in advance.. :)

Umbrae

I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again. I have never ever cleansed my decks, or cleared them.

I had this 29-year old RWS that I never cleaned. It was dog-eared and frayed, scratched and stained to bejesus…worked just fine.

In my holistic view of the universe, a deck contains all its readings. The good ones the bad ones, it goes beyond the sum of its parts.

So my decks never get ‘put back in order’, cleansed in moonlight or sea salt or candles or anything.

…and they love me for it.

And my face to face readings are well…good. :smoker:

silverstep

I charged my crystals in the full moon last night and definitely noticed and amplification of the energy from the full moon more than on other nights when the moon shines on my window.