Do we put too much responsibility on our deck?

Grizabella

All Is One said:
(It's sad and shocking how badly my Spanish and Greek have decayed over the years of not using them, and for all of you who speak more than one language, you probably practice it in order to keep it. I was never that fluent and now I know much less. :()

I know what you mean. All I really remember of French is how to say, "I'm going with Philip." :rolleyes: I'm sure that won't get me far in France if I ever get there---unless Philip happens to stroll by.

I found a great book by the Amberstones on Tarot symbolism. That one would be a great one for you to check out when you go back to the books.

All Is One

Well, G, I'm pretty much hitting them now...got the title and/or a link? I'm buying a new reading lamp this week :D

rwcarter

I don't think that I put too much responsibility on the deck as opposed to myself, but I do know that I've bought many decks only to thumb through them once and then put them on the tarot bookshelf (which has become a tarot bookcase with two overflow areas!).

I don't know if I even admitted to this in the first IDS thread, but when I first saw the Ancient Egyptian Tarot, it really did nothing for me. And I looked at it at the local Metaphysical Store every time I went there. (This is when the Element Press version was still in print and I could've gotten it for the regular price....) Even when I finally did get it, I thumbed through it and put it on the bookshelf where all the other Egyptian-themed decks reside.

So when it came time to choose a deck for the IDS, I went through this long complicated process to figure out which of 32 decks I would end up using. It came down to the Bohemian Gothic Silver and the AET. I just knew the BGS was going to win the final showdown and was actually somewhat appalled when the AET won. But in retrospect, the right deck won. I had to work hard (and am still working hard) to understand the symbolism and meanings in this deck. I've put more study into this deck than I did with my first deck (The Mythic) some 16 years ago.

And yes, I'm finally making headway with this deck. Do I think it is "The One"? Not really. But it is an important milestone in my tarot journey. I have changed the way in which I approach, study and use tarot decks. I've changed the way that I take notes when I study a deck. I've even changed the way I read.

So I'm definitely a proponent for taking the time to bond with a deck even if you don't do an official IDS.

Rodney

Nightgarden

By reading this thread, a songline from Madonna comes to mind:
"When you know the notes to sing
You can sing most anything!".

A Ballade, Jazz, Punk Rock, Aria....

Means-when you have a general overview about the structure of tarot and symbols, than you be able to read many different decks.
But you maybe prefer a "Punk Rock"-Tarot or an "Jazz"-Tarot.

Grizabella

All Is One said:
Well, G, I'm pretty much hitting them now...got the title and/or a link? I'm buying a new reading lamp this week :D

The title is: The Secret Language of Tarot by Ruth and Wald Amberstone. It will help you a lot if you have a Rider Waite or Universal Waite handy. Not absolutely necessary but it did give me a whole new respect for that style of deck.

Umbrae

I've said it before, marketers have taught us that to solve - is to buy. Solutions come from the 'next big thing...' That next 'Deck' that the reviewers promise is oh-so-dicky-do-dandy...

The secret comes from taking that thing out and reading for strangers. The only way to learn to stand upright is to fall down once in a while...

One aspect of Tarot is the intellectual superiority that comes from owning all the right decks, and having read and understood all the right books.

The other is experiential.

I’ll take the wisdom that comes from the latter.

Thank you very much...

Hooked on TdM

I can't decide which side of the fence I am on, with this thread!

On one hand, there are decks I just don't get. Thoth, RW, and themed decks. I just look at them and go UGH. I will not buy any of them. On the other hand, I got my first TdM about six or seven years ago. It wasn't until I found AT, that I discovered a way to learn how to read them. I've been studying hard core for a few months now.

So I'm definitely not shying away from intensive study nor practice, but I really don't like other style of decks. I own 8 decks, and shy of two that are hard to find, I really don't want any more in my collection. I plan on doing a home IDS with every deck I have.

I also agree with Umbrae, I jumped in and started doing readings right off the bat, before I even understood my cards. I've learned more from my readings and my card by card study then I ever would from a book. Although I haven't yet got the nerve up to sit in a coffee shop and read for strangers. (I've had strangers sent to my door for readings though! LOL) I also have about six books I want to read, but they take second place to actually using my cards.

So.. I guess I'm still on that fence. LMAO

Hooked

Nevada

I got to thinking along these same lines in regard to Ravenswing's thread -- http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=102541.

I tend to keep my last purchased deck out and treat it as one of my "favorites" for quite some time. The last purchase was Motherpeace, and it's been ready to hand ever since. I have a couple new decks on the way and I'm sure they'll be the same way. I actually had forgotten that I purchased Motherpeace as recently as I did. I even said on another thread in the past day or two that I hadn't purchased a new deck in over a year, but I bought it this past October, for my birthday. (I give myself gifts. :D) I've gotten to know it so well in that time that it feels like a longer time to me.

In the 20+ years I've been using tarot, I've only accumulated about as many decks, and I think that slow accumulation is a good way to ensure one gets to know each deck well. I can't say I know all mine equally well, but those I go back to are decks that I spent that kind of time with from the start.

I also find that this slower accumulation forces me to be extra fussy about each purchase, because I want to ensure it's a deck that has imagery I'll be happy to live with, hopefully forever.

But it's also possible, I think, to rely on the deck, even one I know well, too much for the answers. I think as a reader I should be able to pick up any decent deck and read with it right off the bat. I was fascinated a few years ago with the thread about reading numbered sweetener packets, and I think if one works more at developing intuition than at either accumulating decks or studying one deck, one is going to gain greater reading ability regardless of deck. I've found that comparing a few different styles of decks, and the concepts behind them, is helpful.

This is all not to say that accumulation is a bad thing in and of itself, and serious collecting is another matter. But if one wants to read, but flits around and doesn't focus on learning, only on variety and instant gratification or eye candy, one is going to take longer to develop depth in reading. I think that the spareness of time that I used to sometimes devote to tarot when it was less of a focus for me has been a hindrance for me as a reader. So has my reluctance to do more reading for others, especially for strangers. But that's also a choice I made -- to use it mainly for self understanding.

I suppose it boils down to whether one considers tarot a hobby or more like a way of life or a spiritual practice. Is one a hobbyist, a collector, a student, or a reader? Or all of these?

I find that the more time I spend selecting and working with a deck, the more and longer I tend to love it, and the same holds true for tarot in general. Time spent at it, or any aspect of it, makes it increasingly valuable to me in my life.

Nevada

Gavriela

Umbrae said:
I've said it before, marketers have taught us that to solve - is to buy. Solutions come from the 'next big thing...' That next 'Deck' that the reviewers promise is oh-so-dicky-do-dandy...

The secret comes from taking that thing out and reading for strangers. The only way to learn to stand upright is to fall down once in a while...

One aspect of Tarot is the intellectual superiority that comes from owning all the right decks, and having read and understood all the right books.

The other is experiential.

I’ll take the wisdom that comes from the latter.

Thank you very much...

This is from Oolatek, right? Because somehow I don't see you as one who eschews study OR doing readings.

It's not an either/or deal, or at least there's no reason it has to be.

Bloudwedd

This was a really interesting post! Thank you for starting it!

It forced me to take a deep good look at myself and my tarot-habits. When I am unbalanced or the world around me in general is out of balance I tend to go very materialistic. IF I only find the right pair of shoes to buy, the right book about a subject, the right journal that will cause me to journal forever, then everything will work out just fine, like magick. It is my way of running from the problems I guess. The same I realised when I read this post goes for my increasing collection of tarotdecks. I am still in search for THE tarot deck that will magically solve all of my problems and almost do the readings by itself. Good luck on that one, huh? But I have made some progress on that area at least. During my IDS with Pagan Tarot I realised that it was a bit too unique for my taste. I dont like translating symbolism more than once when reading. So in a way I felt that I did not connect with it. But I also realised that no matter my feelings for the deck, I still could do good readings with the deck. It really is nothing wrong with the deck, except the fact that I do not like it as much that I thought. It is me that needs to get to work with my intuition!!! Or to quote the boss in KnightRider: "It is nothing wrong with the car, just the idiot behind the wheel!". So will this mean that I stop buying tarotdecks? No! There are way too many interesting oneds that I wants to get my hands on! But it will mean that I will change my focus slightly. The decks will mainly be bought as collectors items and once I have decided I need a new fresh deck to help me work my intution I can bring one out, or not.

BB
/Anna