Do you have a 'make or break' card for decks???

Silverlyn

I am a watcher of:

The Hermit
The Devil
Wheel of Fortune
The Moon

Grizabella

I'm turned off by the man hanging by his neck in the Legend Arthurian, too. Just can't abide that card and it ruined the whole deck for me.

DarkElectric

I really like an interesting 3 of Swords. Unfortunately, most RWS based decks use that same old "3 swords through the heart" motif, which I realise is significant, but to me? Ho hum. I really like the 3/Swords in the Spiral deck.

Disa

Aww I love the DruidCraft's High Priestess- she's so cool and seems full of wisdom and power to me.

I also can't stand the Hanged Man hanging by his neck. When I first started learning Tarot, the Hanged Man was the one I thought was the creepiest, even if he was hanging by his feet. I didn't know the meaning then so my first impression from it was "suicide". So, I'm really disappointed when I get a new deck and then find out once it's home that he's hanging by his neck.

Mostly I look at the Hermit Card and the Magician. Ciro's Hermit and Magician are two of my favorites of all time and I seem to compare all of the others to Ciro's and usually, there is no comparison.

Disa

thorhammer

I'm big on the 8 of Wands, strangely enough. This fixation came about because of the magnificent 8 of Wands in the Victorian Romantic (not enough to make me keep the deck, but I'll never forget the epiphany that card gave me) and if a deck has a cool 8-Wands (not the usual abstractish wands-in-the-air thing) I'll prick up my ears.

I also look for the Queen of Swords (again, VR) and Death. That was the "make" card for me regarding the Universal Fantasy. I love that Death card.

There are three cards that I just don't get - The Wheel of Fortune, Justice and Judgement. If a deck treats any one of those cards in a way that brings it home to me, then it's a winner right there.

\m/ Kat

Shade

I really like my decks to have a good 2 of Wands, by far my favorite is the Mage: The Ascension - very powerful image. Although some of my favorite decks have 2 of Wands cards that I am not in love with (The Fey, The Universal Fantasy) I do open new decks with the fervent hope that I will love that card.

The Magician is another card that I really need to love in a deck - maybe it's because I identify strongly with it (a reason I suspect the High Priestess is so important to many female readers). If the Magician card is especially sexy it's a bonus (whether male or female - I enjoyed the Manga, Celtic Dragon, and Romani sorceresses very much)

firefrost

I look to the Swords. The Knight has to be in action and I like the 10 to look like the guy can survive.

Elnor

I also dislike when the Hanged Man is shown as hanging by his neck- it alters the entire meaning of the card for me.

In the Mythic Tarot, the way the Strength card was illustrated with (Samson? not sure who the character represents) actually throttling the lion- it completely put me off that deck. Brute strength and domination just didn't tally with my feelings about the meaning of that card.

elnor

autumnsdaughter

My two favorite cards just for their drama are the 2 and 8 of Swords. If these are oversweet or just done totally different, and don't make their point, I am unimpressed.

HPS can be a make or break thing. Love the one from DruidCraft- dislike most that seem really stodgy or Papess like. Magician is another favorite- I love the one from Robin Wood. Can we say beefcake? :D

GypsyHeart

Important cards for me are The Sun. If they have a creepy kid...ugh (can anyone say World Spirit...a perfectly lovely deck ruined!)

Favorite cards are the 9 of Pents, Temperance, and 6 of Cups. Oh, and the 9 of Swords.

Maybe I have more than I thought....