Do you still do the reading if the money isn't in the Paypal acct?

Toxicmage

I decided a little while ago, that if I was going to subscribe to AT, that I was going to ask some questions that bug me all the time that I really don't have all the answers to. Here is one of those questions lol.

You have booked a phone or in-person consultation with either a regular or a new client. You have also told your client ahead of time that BEFORE the session starts, they need to send your fee to your PayPal acct.

They agree to do this.

But when the day and time of the session starts, the money isn't there. Do you do the reading anyway? I have stories I will share with you, but I want to hear your replies first. Do you tell them you didn't receive your fee?

Thanks in advance!

Grizabella

Yes, if you made it clear that you needed to receive your fee before the reading, you need to stick to that. You don't need to sound to them as if you think they've omitted it on purpose (even though you suspect they may have) you just politely say that they seem to have forgotten to pay the Paypal fee or that perhaps it just didn't go through and ask them to attend to that, and that after the fee arrives, you'll be happy to do their reading.

Amanda

Well, there's one client I would be willing to let things slide with. But she's always giving me like $30 - $50 "bonuses" so I think I can afford it (for her) if for some reason she never paid. But she always does. I keep telling her that the bonuses really aren't necessary, but she has my PayPal address, and sends them anyway. So, I learned this new thing (to me) about graciously receiving gifts and thank her immensely.

Secretly, I thank God every time she does that too, because usually it comes at just the right time.

I've been on the other end of that though, and gave people the benefit of the doubt and kept getting ripped off. Then I realized I needed to state my self-respect and value right up front.

People value what they pay for.

So it's pointless to try to 'help' someone who just wants it for free, because then they probably won't really value it anyway. So, instead of an equal energy exchange, you just get a wasted energy exchange, and that's no good either.

Hard lesson I had to learn myself from major burnout.

Grizabella

Besides that, there are actually addicts to readings who over-extend their budgets to the extent that they're always trying to figure out how to get readings for free. Unfortunate, but it happens, especially on the internet. There's no reason to let yourself be exploited that way. If you have a steady client who gets into a pinch and you know them very well, then you might want to give a little bit on this but I'd say it's better to stick with your policy and get the money right up front.

Sinduction

Yes, a very important lesson I learned during my years as an exotic dancer. :D

Always get your money up front. I don't read until the money is on the table or in my account.

No money, no reading. I feel it is especially important within our community of readers to do so. If we don't value what we're doing and give it away for free, what kind of message are we giving out?

Unless it's a returning client like Amanda's. I'd let that slide, but I think we all have a client or two that we feel has earned that trust.

Alta

My brother is a real estate appraiser, meaning before a house goes on sale, he is the one that determines probable value. The banks insist on this for certain, not all, transactions. Now he has to do a big deal report, with measurements and pictures, and comparable sales etc. But the bottom line is the dollar value.

Clients always want that dollar value, the report itself doesn't mean that much. But, it is intellectual work, like tarot reading. Once they have the reading, or the dollar value, the 'need to pay' pretty much evaporates. My brother has learned the hard way to never release the report until paid.

Again, the comparison is the work. Neither is something tangible, it is 'professional opinion', and once received... well....

Alta

gregory

No - wait for the cash. They may be cheats; they may not - but - for instance - no dry cleaner will give you your clothes back till you shell out.

The same applies to your readings. Pay for what you are about to get or do without.

Alta

Regarding not getting paid. My brother once commented dryly "Better to be broke than broke and tired", meaning have done the work for no pay.

214red

nope, because likely they havent sent it in the first place.....

If you feel that you want to take the chance though, go with your gut, there will always be times that you have to ignore the normal rules

Baroli

Nope. "No tickie,...no washie."

ETA: Unless you didn't make that specific request,...then you be screwie'd!! :laugh: