Do you use shadow cards, base cards or number reductions in readings?

Grizabella

I was requested by HeavensVault to make a poll asking how many people use shadow cards in readings. In addition, to ask how many use number reductions, and then I thought I'd throw in base cards, too.

Editing to add:

I've never made a poll here before so I totally screwed this up.

SunChariot

None of the above

Bar

Pagan X

Nope. I don't know what those things are. They didn't exist thirty years ago, must be new stuff. Flibberty floo.

Most of my readings are still the Celtic Cross. I think my experimentation needs are met by using new decks. I don't use any other forms of divination (astrology, runes, etc.) when doing a tarot reading either, just tarot.

Michelle

A big 'No' for me.

Michelle

tabi

Again I use the reduction of card numbers as an overall theme to the reading, mostly due to the fact that people seem to be drawn to one specific card and if my reading isn't going to make much of an impact maybe the QC will be what they carry with them.

Tim's mom is horrible about understanding the point of my readings and is materistic. So she only looks for things that is going to make her fortune, literally. While I do like her there doesn't seem to be a point in reading for her, since I can't promise her riches and fortune beyond her dreams. Hence me especially doing the QC for her and probably why she hasn't been back for a reading in almost two months now. :p

AngelC

Usually no.

Just sometimes I feel I should look at that Shadow card and then I do.
Those times it usually makes sense.

AngelC

Gavriela

I add up the numbers and reduce when I'm using a Tirage en Croix spread - but that's majors-only, and it's part of the spread, it makes the fifth card.

I'm not sure what shadow and base cards are, but sometimes I take a quick peek at what's at the very bottom of the deck after a reading - don't know why, but I don't remember ever not doing it. Sometimes it's eerie how much it points out the underlying reason of the question. My experience only, and I don't make a big deal out of it.

Michael

No. Don't need to. :)

Umbrae

no.

If you learn how to read Tarot, you don't need to add hogwash.

Elven

Umbrae said:
If you learn how to read Tarot, you don't need to add hogwash.

Hogwash!!! :rolleyes: Humbug!!!! :p

I use the Base card in readings - and always have. I start my readings with this card - I do a reading from this card alone - then I lay out the CC or whatever spread I am doing. I was taught this method from a woman I highly respect, who taught me to read - it is not new, she learnt it from her grandmother in Polland, and was taught to her ... it was the way in which her family read the cards.

As for the other methods, it depends on the question, deck and the spread - some decks being un-numbered - I use numerology in a reading, but not to define the Tarot, but as an additional reading.

Blessings Elven x