Do you use your real surname?

MareSaturni

I know, I know, we had many threads about choosing your 'tarot reader name', or whether you use your real name or not when reading. I have searche dthrough them but I didn't find what I was looking for, which is a very specific case: the last name.

I noticed that many readers use a 'full name' (real or fake) when advertising. I think it's interesting, because "Tarot by John" makes it a bit... impersonal? Vague? Now, "Tarot by John Valentine" seems much better, in my opinion.

And I have a problem... not only my real surname is UGLY... but it's almost unpronounceable in certain languages - like English. It also happens to be very common in my country, and we also have a lot of Marinas with the same last name as I. So someone looking for me would stumble on a bunch of Marinas ZXY who are not me. *le sigh* I am looking for a more 'unique' and euphonious complement to my name, but not cheesy like Marina MoonLight or Marina McOwl...

So, I'm interest in other people's experience with that. Do you use you real surname when advertising your tarot readings? Or do you have a fantasy one? If that's the case, how did you choose it?

Thank you so much! :)

Sulis

I use my real name.

MareSaturni

I use my real name.

Do you use just your first name or your first and last name together?

I think it's nice when people have a name cool enough that it sounds professional & easy to remember. :) Sadly mine doesn't...

Sulis

It's a very ordinary name, nothing special and quite common sounding but I use my full name; first and last :).

AJ

Do you have a middle name you could work with? Last name you like from your genealogy/family
If you could change your name what would you choose? Like Nisaba perhaps you need a new moniker with a fresh start?

I use my real name everywhere.
First, Maiden, Married
unless it is a legal document then First, Middle (don't like it), Married

If I had it to do over I wouldn't have a married last name, I'd keep the one I was born with. That was pretty unheard of when I married though.

Aulruna

I use my full real name (the one you know from FB and RS). I happen to love my last name, it's relatively rare, but everyone in my country always spells it right!

JBerry

Re-creating ourselves

One of the wonderful experiences of being human is the chance to recreate ourselves. Taking on a new name often reflects a major life change or evolution. I have had a number of name changes in my life. Each change has been a source of empowerment and/or healing. So I encourage you to consider this a wonderful opportunity to take on a new name for professional and possibly personal reasons.

I think that using a first name only can seem a bit insubstantial or flaky. In a profession such as ours where we strive for legitimacy and respectability, it can help to have a normal, 'solid' name. A professional 'name' also can be appropriate. It is always helpful to have a name that is memorable and pronounceable.

I use both my full, first/middle/last name and a professional name 'Natural Mystic' in my promotions.

214red

I use my own name as its a business and i think using your own name gives you more credibility, if not it can look like your hiding from something. Also my insurance certificate is in my own name.Also i dont like mystic names, thats a personal preference, some of my friends use it and i find the branding a bit crass, i am happy to be me

Ashtaroot

I use my full name also:)

nisaba

Do you use you real surname when advertising your tarot readings? Or do you have a fantasy one? If that's the case, how did you choose it?
I use my real surname when reading - but there's a catch. It's my real name because I deliberately chose it, and went to the trouble and expense of going through a legal change-of-name process according to the laws of my country.

Merrieweather.

"Merrie" is an archaic spelling of "Merry", a synonym of both happy and gay. And yes, I've been a lot more optimistic since I took the name. Weather, because I have a deep and abiding interest in meteorology.