Does anyone Have Victorian Romantic GOLD???

Aziah

I have the regular one and *love love love* it. The images are SO powerful!!! But the cards are kind of on the flimsy side.

I was wondering if the Gold is any thicker and if the colors are any more vibrant. Also...is the border distracting?

...so is it worth investing in the gold or is the regular one just as good if not better?

Emily

I have both and love them both equally. The standard is a nice, good looking deck but the golden has that extra feeling of luxury and the gold does look really, really nice. The card stock might seem flimsy and thin but it isn't, its different to other decks but the card stock is a lot more durable than it first appears, both decks have the same quality card stock.

If you decided you wanted the golden, I wouldn't leave it too long - they don't have too many copies left. :)

lunakasha

I remember seeing a discussion about this somewhere....maybe in the De-enabling thread, or another VR thread. Different people offered their opinions on the gold versus regular edition of this deck.

Personally, it made sense to get the regular edition set, because I REALLY wanted the companion book rather than the journal. Also, I was able to compare the two editions side by side, and found that the gold highlights were very subtle, so that I was not missing out by sticking with the regular, non-gold version.

Both editions are lovely, but not all that different, IMO.
If you are interested in the book, and if cost is a factor, I would recommend the regular edition set...you won't be disappointed.

:) Luna

Grizabella

I have the Gold (thanks forever Valeria :heart: ) and the regular both. The card stock on both is the same but it's definitely not flimsy. It has a carbon layer that makes it extremely durable while still allowing for the wonderful flexibility it has. The Gold has the journal but also has two Lovers cards, one showing the young couple in the regular deck and the other a much more mature couple. The gold ink in the Gold version is subtle but beautiful. I love both versions. I use the Gold as my main reading deck and am keeping the regular now as my backup deck.

The book with the regular deck is excellent. I think you may be able to buy the book separately, but I'm not sure. As Emily said, the Golden version is getting limited, but I think they have a few left. You can PM baba-prague to find out.

faunabay

Solitaire* said:
I love both versions. I use the Gold as my main reading deck and am keeping the regular now as my backup deck.

I agree with you Solitaire, I love both versions, but I'm just the opposite. I use my regular as my main reading deck and keep the gold as my backup! :)

I'm glad I got my gold version, but the regular was the first one I got and I think I bonded very strongly with that one. So the gold is extremely pretty, but for me is not my beloved regular deck!!

Alta

I use the Gold version all the time. I find it just more appealing than the regular (which is fine too of course).

The cardstock is very tough. It is just the size of the cards that makes it feel thinner. Rigid cardstock on cards that size would surely lead to creases.

Astraea Aurora

Solitaire* said:
I use the Gold as my main reading deck.

Same with me. I only have the Gold version and it is so beautiful that I don't want it to just sit on the shelf.

Solitaire* said:
The book with the regular deck is excellent. I think you may be able to buy the book separately, but I'm not sure.

That's right. When you purchase the Gold edition you get the journal - and for an additional of 8 or 9 $ (or was it €?) you can get the book too, so you don't have to buy a regular set just to get the book. Btw, the journal is very beautiful and very good quality, heavy blank paper, sturdy cover. For those who like to journal it is a jewel.

Astraea Aurora :grin:

Lysh

I have the gold edition and I love it. I use it often and find the durability is great...I haven't had any problems with that. I went with the gold edition because I felt very drawn to that, I like the added touches the gold gives the deck. I don't have the standard edition yet, even though I am sure I will add that to my collection one day.
I also like the two lovers cards, I believe they pick up on different aspects of the original lovers cards.
The journal is beautiful and a nice edition to have. I use it to journal my thoughts on the cards
Thats just my input! :)
-Lysh

Skydancer

I have both. First the gold - then later the regular so that I could get the book (here in US) and then after THAT I found another regular deck at a really low price so snatched it up too. Both editions hold up very well; one is not a pared down replica of the other.

This deck and I have had some emotional moments. I've learned a lot. It so brought home to me how I do prejudge things even though I'm consciously trying not to. Which is probably why I do. Prejudge, that is. Expect. If you don't really expect any particular outcome, then you're bound to be surprised and not disappointed. If you're in a state of surprise and interest it's easier to adjust and deal with. If you're in a state of disappointment then it's much more intricate to find your way through.

I think it's "worth it" to have both. If you like the basic idea of the VR. I had no intention last year of ever getting it. Wasn't interested in the least. This year --- another story!

Things change.

*S*

And the gold really does make it all magickal in candle light. :)

Aulruna

I only have the Gold edition, so I can't compare, but I definitely love it - the gold just goes wonderfully with the "period" feel of the deck.

As an avid journaler I was eager to get the journal, and I also knew that MR's companion books sell at a reasonable price, so I purchased it extra (well worth it imho).