Earth Magic Oracle Cards

autumn star

I just recieved this deck - and I love it is way better than I expected - there are some really gorgeous cards in there. I particularly like the Full and New Moon cards, the dragonfly, wolf, meadow and lotus cards. I like them all but these are the ones that have stuck in my mind after the first look through.

silverwings94

I just picked this up today and haven't had a chance to sit down and really look at them. Hopefully I'll get a chance this weekend

GryffinSong

Aerin said:
I'm considering these, but then I looked at the same author's "Power Animal Oracle Cards" http://www.janetboyer.com/Power_Animal_Oracle_Cards.html and also "Messages from your Animal Spirit Guides Oracle Cards" http://www.janetboyer.com/Animal_Spirit_Guides_Oracle_Cards.html and I felt less certain. The deck is on offer at amazon uk at the m oment.

I'm probably in the minority, but this deck doesn't hold my interest at all. I have it, have looked through it twice, but although much of the art is pretty, it doesn't make me want to read with it. I hesitate to use this word, but the closest I can come is "boring."

Sorry to all you fans out there ...

rachelcat

I don't want to pile on or anything, but . . .

I picked this up at Borders with about a dozen coupons. The art is quite nice even though by different artists. But it falls into that place of most oracles, which I have a problem with--it's a bit too random. Ok, there are the solstices and equinoxes. But other than that, there are people, animals, fairies, goddesses, all jumbled together. And not enough of any to make them into a "suit" or anything.

But the biggest problem I have is that the "New Moon" card actually shows a waning moon (curve on the left, not the right). This makes me think there wasn't much thought put into the deck, or the creators don't have as much connection to nature as they think/say they do. To be fair, I haven't read the book yet. But the moon thing--that's pretty basic I think . . .

(I also got Voices of Saints at the same time, which is also really random, so I think I'm extra irritated about the randomness thing right now :))

GryffinSong

rachelcat said:
...I think I'm extra irritated about the randomness thing right now :))

Maybe that's why most oracles seem "boring" to me, because they don't hang together and just seem a jumble of pretty pictures.

I'm gifting my Earth Magic deck, in a nice bag I've made, to a friend who's going through a cancer scare right now. Maybe she'll get more out of it than I do.

autumn star

rachelcat said:
But the biggest problem I have is that the "New Moon" card actually shows a waning moon (curve on the left, not the right). This makes me think there wasn't much thought put into the deck, or the creators don't have as much connection to nature as they think/say they do. To be fair, I haven't read the book yet. But the moon thing--that's pretty basic I think . . .

I noticed that about the New Moon card when I first looked through the deck but then I just thought I was seeing things wrong and never went back to double check.

GryffinSong

autumn star said:
I noticed that about the New Moon card when I first looked through the deck but then I just thought I was seeing things wrong and never went back to double check.

Is there someplace on the earth where a new moon would look like that? Just curious, because phases of the moon are something I don't pay a lot of attention to. Whenever I draw a crescent moon I seem to arc it from top, counterclockwise. That is not how it looks in the US, so I can only assume its got something to do with being right-handed and naturally wanting to arc my hand that way. But then I'm a vague concepts person rather than a detail person. I refuse to play trivial pursuit because I'm hopeless at it!!! LOL

autumn star

GryffinSong said:
Is there someplace on the earth where a new moon would look like that? Just curious, because phases of the moon are something I don't pay a lot of attention to. Whenever I draw a crescent moon I seem to arc it from top, counterclockwise. That is not how it looks in the US, so I can only assume its got something to do with being right-handed and naturally wanting to arc my hand that way. But then I'm a vague concepts person rather than a detail person. I refuse to play trivial pursuit because I'm hopeless at it!!! LOL

I just looked up how the moon looks different in the northern/southern hemispheres. And we get an 'upside down' image of the northern hempisphere moon, if that makes sense. We would see the moon from a completely different vantage point. I have never been to the northern hemipshere so I can't speak from experiene!

Here is a link to lunar phases on wikipedia, it might be able to answer your question a bit better than I can:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_phase

GryffinSong

Thanks autumn_star, I thought it was something like that.

...The Southern Hemisphere will see each phase rotated through 180°...

So, doesn't this mean that the Earth Magic cards are correct for some places on earth?

Just sayin' ... I don't really care if they got it right or not. Its still not a deck for me, despite how pretty most of the deck is.