Eight of Cups as outcome for alcohol issues

Farzon

It was a Celtic Cross spread, RWS deck.

I'm a bit undecided about this card. Judging from the image I could easily see it as getting away from the addiction. On the other hand, this card usually depicts a difficult passage, the Golden Dawn called it "abandoned success". So I'm not sure what is left behind here: the pleasures of indulgence in alcohol or the possible success of getting away from it...

Any thoughts?

kx5

Interesting thread. Maybe which one of the two is true depends on what the question was exactly. But if you put it as 'Will this person get away from alcohol addiction?', I see the outcome as meaning that he/she will indeed walk away.

I believe that the eight of cups here means that, although said person enjoyed alcohol very much and it did good for them (eg soothed them when in pain), they will now walk away because they've realised how bad it truly is.
By the way, did this person by any chance own a winery, or something similar? Then it could literally mean that by choosing to distance themselves from alcohol they are literally leaving possible financial success behind.

laurence

Hi!
what was the card in "surrounding environment" and the card in "what can help" or "positive or unknown influence"?

To me 8 of cups RW as outcome indicates going away from drinking not going away with It.
It's clear that the guy is turning back to all those cups. It's probably difficult for him as he walks slowly with the help of a stick but there is obviously a change of direction before getting stuck in a crisis where a drastic decision must be made.

Samweiss

Crowley described this card as "the morning after". In my experience this card doesn't necessarily tell the person is going away from situation, he/she just doesn't find the situation pleasurable anymore. It could be the classic case of drinking to drown sorrows. In any case, the success or failure to get out of the situation probably lies in other cards of the spread.

Edit*

D'oh! Just noticed the card in question was the outcome card.

summeryjoy

It was a Celtic Cross spread, RWS deck.

I'm a bit undecided about this card. Judging from the image I could easily see it as getting away from the addiction. On the other hand, this card usually depicts a difficult passage, the Golden Dawn called it "abandoned success". So I'm not sure what is left behind here: the pleasures of indulgence in alcohol or the possible success of getting away from it...

Any thoughts?
I need to see the whole Cross to decide, but was there a Devil Rx or Temperance by any chance? They'd support walking away from alcohol (which would be a difficult passage btw), especially in the positions of present, near future, or external influences.

Farzon

Interesting thread. Maybe which one of the two is true depends on what the question was exactly. But if you put it as 'Will this person get away from alcohol addiction?', I see the outcome as meaning that he/she will indeed walk away.

I believe that the eight of cups here means that, although said person enjoyed alcohol very much and it did good for them (eg soothed them when in pain), they will now walk away because they've realised how bad it truly is.
By the way, did this person by any chance own a winery, or something similar? Then it could literally mean that by choosing to distance themselves from alcohol they are literally leaving possible financial success behind.

The question was like "what is the most probable course of events regarding etc."
There is no winery or success attached to alcohol in this case... Uplifting, that you see the positive meaning here! I always see the eights as a recovery from the disastrous sevens but in this case I'm simply not objective.

Hi!
what was the card in "surrounding environment" and the card in "what can help" or "positive or unknown influence"?

To me 8 of cups RW as outcome indicates going away from drinking not going away with It.
It's clear that the guy is turning back to all those cups. It's probably difficult for him as he walks slowly with the help of a stick but there is obviously a change of direction before getting stuck in a crisis where a drastic decision must be made.

I think I can give away a third of the reading here. Surrounding environment is seven of Pentacles. I see this position always as the surroundings view on the situation. In this case like: it's obvious they're unhappy with the situation and yet they stay around.

Unknown influence was the Tower. I see it as their wish to break through, building up. There's also a lot of changes going on in their live but in my experience, alcoholism is pretty independent from the actual situation, may life be good or bad.

I can see where you're coming from with the timing and I agree. It's gonna take some time.
Crowley described this card as "the morning after". In my experience this card doesn't necessarily tell the person is going away from situation, he/she just doesn't find the situation pleasurable anymore. It could be the classic case of drinking to drown sorrows. In any case, the success or failure to get out of the situation probably lies in other cards of the spread.

Edit*

D'oh! Just noticed the card in question was the outcome card.
How fitting. No, the person in question is not pleased with the situation themselves. They have lived through it once already.

Farzon

I need to see the whole Cross to decide, but was there a Devil Rx or Temperance by any chance? They'd support walking away from alcohol (which would be a difficult passage btw), especially in the positions of present, near future, or external influences.
I don't use reversals and here in Using Tarot Cards, I can only give away a third of the whole reading. It was a CC and I turned over the shadow card (which did fit perfectly) so it was eleven cards... a third would be something in between three and four cards. Well, let's see, if the mods let me get away with this fourth card: the devil was in the person's own view on the situation.

danieljuk

this really depends on the other cards in the spread but for me it has two possible meanings.

The first is that people with addiction issues or abusing it too much at some point want to deal with the problem. This could be walking away from their alcohol issues, finding treatment or help. Perhaps going cold turkey. The second is they walk away from everything in their life, their loved ones, their job, this is a much more dangerous outcome. They have such alcohol issues they are dumping their real life and moving into a darker place where they are isolated. That is my take on it

Thirteen's interpretation of this card here is fascinating in relation to your reading, shall quote it....

A man leaves behind eight cups to follow the moon. There are two views on this card. Some view it as a kind of "morning after." In this interpretation, the querent has been indulging, possibly for a while, in luxuries, drink, etc. Or, at least, indulging in what seemed important to him. Now he has "sobered up" and realized that he wasted his feelings on something or someone who, like cheap wine, wasn't worth it. Like the Lion, he leaves the wild where he roamed free, and seeks the Maiden (the Moon) where there he may not feel so freely, but will gain more from those feelings.

This can be taken literally as a card about the querent sobering up from binge drinking or a wild relationship and realizing that it brought him down, made him seem uncivilized and brutal. Now he wants to do better.

There is more on the page in her interpretation but that is the part which fits alcohol issues.

laurence

I think you are allowed to discuss up to half of the cards of the reading but I'm not sure.

The Devil as the person's own view of the situation makes me think he really believes he's now chained to this addictive pattern. At least he is aware of his limitation and he knows there is too much temptation. I would say that at least he's not in denial.

7 of pentacles as surrounding environment can indicate that his family, friends, colleagues are evaluating the situation and are probably ready to help as much as they can without puting themselves into the crap (7 of pents is encouraging in this position but It's like the environment is waiting for the person concerned to prepare a strategy, a decision or a next move before being able to help).

Unknown influence ( So can be positive or negative): Tower.
To me, He might have a revelation. Something might happen that can really remind him the need for a change. For exemple, he can be involved in a accident due to too much drinking and then realises that he has no other option than quitting alcohol. An unexpected event can make him free. This is how I see the Tower as unknown influence.

I see the 8 of cups as outcome as favourable. I never met a recovered addict saying giving up alcohol or drugs was easy. Having read the other interesting posts, I see the 8 of cups as giving up alcohol and all that come with It: places where alcohol is served, friends who have the same behavioural pattern and so on. So yes It's a lot to reconsider. It's not only giving up drinking, It's also facing reality.

Samweiss

There's some connection with 8 of Cups, 7 of Pentacles and The Devil, astrologically they all relate to Saturn (Devil is Capricorn, ruled by Saturn). Because OP brought up Golden Dawn, I thought this would be okay to mention. ;)

Perhaps the Querent feels powerless and unable to act. There isn't much support from the environment either, or it's sort of tough love, like lecturing about responsibility and such. I think these are heavy and melancholic cards.

But maybe that Tower comes along and shakes things up.