Emotions and Tarot

Amanda

So, I'm taking an Organizational Behavior class, and this just happens to be my reading for the week: http://www.kucourses.com/ec/media/s..._0901A/MT302_5/MT302_Unit5Reading_Robbins.pdf

Robbins, S. P., & Judge, T. A. (2007). Organizational Behavior (12th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.
ISBN: 0-13-243156-4

I found it interesting that I could apply a lot of this to tarot, being a reader, interacting with other readers, interacting with clients... well, you get the idea... so I'm curious about others' thoughts on how these concepts can be applied to tarot in whatever way pops out at you. Like, do you tend to agree or disagree with anything here? It's a lot to read, but it's totally worth it (the whole text book is), in my opinion.

olivia1

Amanda_04 said:
So, I'm taking an Organizational Behavior class, and this just happens to be my reading for the week: http://www.kucourses.com/ec/media/s..._0901A/MT302_5/MT302_Unit5Reading_Robbins.pdf

Robbins, S. P., & Judge, T. A. (2007). Organizational Behavior (12th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.
ISBN: 0-13-243156-4

I found it interesting that I could apply a lot of this to tarot, being a reader, interacting with other readers, interacting with clients... well, you get the idea... so I'm curious about others' thoughts on how these concepts can be applied to tarot in whatever way pops out at you. Like, do you tend to agree or disagree with anything here? It's a lot to read, but it's totally worth it (the whole text book is), in my opinion.

Haven't read the above book but I've read the book Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman. To be honest, I dont really feel reading the book influenced me one way or the other. Sure, I understand the biological drivers behind emotions and how important emotions are. But that knowledge doesn't really play a major part, to me as a reader.

Don't get me wrong, I care about people as whole. I love Philly but I cant stand going downtown and seeing the homeless...or seeing an upscale restaurant right next to a soup kitchen with people in tattered clothes lined up outside. It really pisses me off how unfair the world is.

However, when I am reading, I don't allow myself to feel too much for the sitter. I don't want to be biased. I feel my role is to help them prepare for what lies ahead next and I can only do that if I remain unbiased. I'm not the type of reader who will try to spin a reading to downplay bad news.

I'm also not the type to allow a sitter to ask me obsessive questions. For example, I knew someone that would literally ask 4 times a day "what is X thinking about me?" or "what is X thinking about?" Or another person who would ask the same question to 5 different readers. I understand, wanting a second opinion...but 5 because you don't like the answer?

I have enough emotional intelligence to understand that Person A really likes X and I understood that Person B just wanted to find happiness..but empathy or not, I'm not going to allow someone to waste my time. Besides, how helpful could I be if they are refusing to accept the message I told them the first time around, anyway? If a sitter finds that too cold then they can go to someone else. I have enough emotional intelligence to understand and not take it personally if they decide to go that route.

Bernice

Amanda_04: I found it interesting that I could apply a lot of this to tarot, being a reader, interacting with other readers, interacting with clients... well, you get the idea... so I'm curious about others' thoughts on how these concepts can be applied to tarot in whatever way pops out at you. Like, do you tend to agree or disagree with anything here?
First off I haven't read the book. But I'm strongly inclined to be very wary of programming myself with a 'psycho-babble' approach to querents/consultants when doing readings.

The tarot (or any other divinatory tool like runes etc.) are 'speaking directly' to you, not to the person you are reading for. And in general, 'readers' have a developed personal bond/link between themselves and their tools. I can't see that you would be able to give a valid & objective *reading* if you are mentally engrossed in observing, assessing & catagorising the persons' emotional condition or behavourial idiosyncrasies. This would block any connection you may have with the cards (or whatever you're using).

Olivia1: .......To me obsessive is when I get the same person asking me "how does X feel about me" or "what is X thinking about?" 4 times a day. Trust me, it happens. Or when the same person asks the same question to 5 different readers. I understand, wanting a second opinion...but 5 because you don't like the answer?........
Unfortunately this is a common occurance. There are always people who appear to become tunnel-visioned about their query - no answer satifies them, and they've dug themselves in so deep that they are unable to think rationally for themselves any more.

Bee :)

ETA: We even have our share of them here on the forum. I've just had a browse around, they are easily spotted because they post 4/5 or more times about the same query. Best to avoid them and allow them time to sort themselves out.

gregory

Bernice said:
Unfortunately this is a common occurrence. There are always people who appear to become tunnel-visioned about their query - no answer satisfies them, and they've dug themselves in so deep that they are unable to think rationally for themselves any more.
Amen to that. And to the next bit.

ETA: We even have our share of them here on the forum. I've just had a browse around, they are easily spotted because they post 4/5 or more times about the same query. Best to avoid them and allow them time to sort themselves out.

ETA I forgot what I came here to say. I did actually read your attachment. And no - I wouldn't use it. I think bringing what I would class as "deliberately clinical" stuff into tarot actually limits it, for me. I like to let the cards speak for themselves without overlaying them with - yes - psychobabble. They seem to do pretty well.

Sulis

I agree with what others have said here. When I read, I read the cards and that's it. I don't want to know about the querant, in fact I don't want to know much at all.
I think once you start getting all psychological about reading tarot it's very easy to start judging people.
Read the cards and leave the psychology to the psychologists. I really do think it's important to know your limits as a tarot reader and just stick to what the cards are saying. That way you can be assured that it's not you advising your clients, it's the cards and whatever it is that brings the message from them.

Amanda

Okay, points taken.

Now, how about applying this to ourselves as readers? Do you think it's better to dig deep about how we operate- our own moods, emotions, etc. to find out how we relate? Do you think we should try to understand ourselves in this way, or would you say that it's better to just go along reading the cards as we've taught ourselves to read them and just deal with any clashes later?

It kind of goes a long with the question of, how much thought do you put into your readings? I guess, not necessarily in regards to the client- but like, do you get an insight, and then work it out logically before you speak- or do you just spit it out trusting that it's the right thing to say? And if you just spit it out, does the mood you are in affect it being right or wrong?

gregory

Crumbs.

I just get out the cards and read what I see in them. My emotions have nothing to do with my sitter except in so far as if I am hacked off, I may not do a really good reading. I don't relate to my cards, as such, I think. (I have a reading in progress right now actually, and have taken time out as I have a crick in my neck. I shuffled, drew the cards and just dived in.... I think if I went this complicated I would have had to sit there till it was all done.)

I think - if you want to get into extra stuff, we are starting to get to horses for courses. There are many many threads here about having to do what is right for you. I know that this approach would not be right for me - and quite honestly I think that is all anyone can say.

Amanda

What about their emotions? How do you think that affects a reading, or does it?

gregory

I read the cards. I don't ask how they are feeling. The question may suggest it, but otherwise I let that lie.

Amanda

Have you ever read for someone where you felt they needed to be directed to someone else? A professional, whatever: doctor, lawyer, psychologist, etc. Or, do you just give them the advice that the cards say anyway?