Emotions and Tarot

Debra

I'd find this more useful than astrology in reading cards.

Here, people often say they read the cards for "insight." Insight into emotions is part of it. Sometimes people don't recognize their own emotional states, and let's face it, some simply don't have a very sophisticated emotional vocabulary. So this seems like a good basic outline of concepts and processes central to emotional life.

gregory

Amanda_04 said:
Have you ever read for someone where you felt they needed to be directed to someone else? A professional, whatever: doctor, lawyer, psychologist, etc. Or, do you just give them the advice that the cards say anyway?
Yes, and I have told them to go - but I wouldn't presume to give a diagnosis or a detailed reason as I'm not qualified. I'd not even say "because I think you have x y z condition" - just that I feel they need to go.

Amanda

Debra said:
I'd find this more useful than astrology in reading cards.

Here, people often say they read the cards for "insight." Insight into emotions is part of it. Sometimes people don't recognize their own emotional states, and let's face it, some simply don't have a very sophisticated emotional vocabulary. So this seems like a good basic outline of concepts and processes central to emotional life.

Yes, a good basic outline at least to understand human nature... Because, if we didn't understand human nature, then it would be kind of difficult to read tarot cards.

olivia1

Amanda_04 said:
Okay, points taken.

Now, how about applying this to ourselves as readers? Do you think it's better to dig deep about how we operate- our own moods, emotions, etc. to find out how we relate?

this is just my personal reading style but I don't try to relate to the sitter. Because if I do, I might start to identify with them and then try to give them advice on how I would handle the situation... rather than pass on the unbiased message from the cards.

Do you think we should try to understand ourselves in this way, or would you say that it's better to just go along reading the cards as we've taught ourselves to read them and just deal with any clashes later?

For me, it works best if I just read the cards the best way I know how. I don't try to filter anything because what I filter out might be useful to the sitter. And I'm not sure what you mean by clashes. Do you mean the sitter fighting with you because they don't like what they are told? Or do you mean clashes because the sitter won't take the message from the cards seriously? I've only had 3 clashes with a sitter. 2 of which were with the same person. And it was more her yelling at me because she didn't like how I interpreted the cards. So I calmly told her to go seek someone else. She did, then came back, then did the same thing again. Now I refuse to read for her.

As for the second, I'm not the sitter's friend. I'm not trying to solve the sitter's problems..I'm just trying to help them find answers (like they've asked me to do). It would be great if they took the advise that the cards gave. however, ultimately, it's their life to live and its their decision how they choose to use the message the cards gave.

And if you just spit it out, does the mood you are in affect it being right or wrong?

no. at least, in my experience not significantly enough to affect the reading.

Bernice

Olivia1: ....this is just my personal reading style but I don't try to relate to the sitter. Because if I do, I might start to identify with them and then try to give them advice on how I would handle the situation... rather than pass on the unbiased message from the cards.
I completely agree with Olivia1. Reading the cards is one thing, whereas a psychological appraisal of oneself or the sitter is quite another.

If you're really bent on somehow blending a psychological assessment and reading cards, you might prefer to use the Jung deck - but even then you'd be better to just Read The Cards, because that would be why the sitter has come to you - to have the cards read.

Bee :)

gregory

Good point ! That's also part of the reading for friends thing - I always ACHE to tell them to murder their cheating husbands and so on....

Amanda

Debra basically got the gist of what I was trying to discuss. If we don't have at least some logical and emotional experiences ourselves, then how in the world could we ever hope to learn tarot to then use for others.

gregory

Logical ?

Emotional experiences - sure, but I don't think we have to analyse them - in ourselves or in our sitters - to be able to read. And I do think it is in many ways more effective reading with less knowledge of the sitter's emotions rather than more. (which was what I meant about friends, too - I tend to know how they feel and that will make me hesitate if the cards come up with something I know will hurt or upset them - or, I admit, something which I feel is wrong for their situation - based on what I already know of them.)

I do think too much analysis - of whatever sort - tends to impede reading. "Overthinking" has been discussed here a lot.

Lillie

Hey,Amanda!

It sounds like you're doing a survey!

Why not just put a list of questions you want answering and ask for volunteers!

Amanda

Maybe you all are too far ahead or something... when you were learning tarot did you just read a book and apply it to the card, or did you read a book and think, 'I've felt that way before!'? Where did your card meanings get their start with you, before you could just go in and read the cards? I know for myself, that my emotions and personal experiences helped shape the way that I learned the cards... and when a certain card came up, it could make me feel a certain way to know what to say to a sitter.