Encyclopedia of Tarot

Cocobird55

I finally gave in and bought Volume IV. It is huge, and kind of overwhelming. I like opening it to a random page just to see what is on it, and when someone refers to a deck from it, then I can look it up.

I was wondering what other people did with theirs. Any comments or suggestions?

Sue

maszat

Hi Sue,

I haven't got it yet, but thinking about buying it for weeks.
I love looking at the pictures but other than what would you use it for? Would you say it is worth buying?

Thanks

jmd

Like the other volumes, it is a reference that basically lists and shows some cards of many decks.

Volume IV also has a small 'summary' of Marseille decks near the back, and a useful (though very incomplete) chapter on Egyptian-style decks.

Other than as a reference guide, I am not sure why one would purchase it - on the other hand, as a general reference guide, I likewise do not see how one can afford to not have it!

Fulgour

Kaplan's Inventory Manual

I bought a copy (from Overstock.com) because I have
the first three volumes. I never would have bought a
single edition if I knew I'd end up talking myself into
getting all four to have a complete collection...
more like a complete waste of money. :(

catlin

Volume IV is still high on my wish list.

I have the other 3 volumes and I like to browse them to get an idea what else is there out on tarot decks (and to get the "Must....have....this...deck-feeling out of these books).

I have a knack for encyclopedia (darn what is the correct English plural for this word???) and like to browse them.

Fulgour

catlin said:
I have a knack for encyclopedia (darn what is the correct English plural for this word???) and like to browse them.
"Encyclopedias" is the plural of encyclopedia. :) And now
you've made me feel like a grouch for keeping my book in
the plastic wrap ~ it just sits on the shelf sealed up still.

I love exploring too, and with Kaplan there's so many goofs
that finding anything is a reward in itself. What bad indexes.

Uh oh... what's the plural for index? (hehehehe)

Chronata

I had the opportunity to peruse the entire volume IV...and I have to say what makes me the most sad...

is that there are lots of really wonderful beautiful UNPUBLISHED decks that I fear will never be available! And of course they often only show a few cards...and I want to see the entire deck!
well...lets be honest...I want to OWN the entire deck, in most cases!

Those encyclopedias are frustrating. :(

weaver

Fulgour said:
I love exploring too, and with Kaplan there's so many goofs
that finding anything is a reward in itself. What bad indexes.

I may not know the plural of index either, Fulgour, but I certainly agree with you that they are an incredibly weak aspect of the Kaplan encyclopedias! It's discouraging to know that you have the information somewhere in one of these four Tarot tomes but still not be able to access the information readily.

Still, I am happy all four encyclopedias are on my bookshelf. When they are useful, they are quite useful, indeed.

weaver

whipsilk

Fulgour said:

That would be indices, although I suspect indexes is acceptable.

I've looked at the Tarot Encyclopedia on a number of occasions, thinking it might be nice to have, but always come back to one thing -- why spring for these expensive books when a similar, much cheaper and more dynamic resource already exists? I'm talking, of course, about Aeclectic Tarot. What could the encylopedias offer that AE doesn't? And do the encylopedias have high quality color images of all the cards? And do they have reviews by a variety of experts that not only give their opinion but describe a number of aspects of the deck as well?

Aeclectic Tarot has completely satisfied my need for an excellent reference. And now AE is participating in creation of the Tarotpedia, a real, and currently free, encylopedia with all the cross-referencing you could possibly want.

rota

Cocobird55 said:
...t is huge, and kind of overwhelming. I like opening it to a random page just to see what is on it, and when someone refers to a deck from it, then I can look it up.
I was wondering what other people did with theirs. Any comments or suggestions?
Sue

+++++++

I think the best use I've found for it so far is simply to leave it out for people to page through. They'll either find something they like, or they'll complain that all the images are in black and white...

It looks like it was a huge amount of work to collate and present all those decks in a single book.

+++++++