Finding news ways to make money from Tarot

gregory

Watkins and Mysteries survive like mad. And many people read in cafes and coffee shops. There is also Camden Market. (The guy there who reads from a pirated Thoth deck on laminated A4 paper has been there for AGES !) But I think looking for a generic solution isn't the answer. I can think of several places near me where I could read for money if I wanted to - and I've seen several places with signs outside - TINY businesses. And that's in the staid North !

Aunty Anthea

I suppose that another alternative would be to expand on that group structure. For example there are new agey-type healing centres around where I am. It's a cluster of offices with crystal healers, reiki healers, homeopaths, etc. I suppose that you could rent a room with them or share a room with one in particular as long as you were capable of making sure that your schedules didn't clash.

I am NOT a new age anything. I am an old aged seerer and hedge witch descended from a long line of witches/wise women. I use dowsing rods and pendulums, and energies in healing

I used to write spells and chants, dabble with candle magik sand magik })

In UK we do have a few healing centres but they are normally yoga centres. I have never come across any that have tarot readers :(

prudence

I am NOT a new age anything. I am an old aged seerer and hedge witch descended from a long line of witches/wise women. I use dowsing rods and pendulums, and energies in healing

You wouldn't have to be new age in order to work in such a place. The point being that most people who are "new agey" tend to be open and accepting of others from wide ranging traditions, I'm sure someone of your background would be more than welcome in that kind of setting.

Aunty Anthea

I just set up a Wordpress blog that I'm crappy at maintaining and a page on Facebook. It's all about advertising for online readings.

I do in person readings too. They're cheaper than my online readings because I don't have to type up anything. I can say the equivalent of a three page report in about 15 minutes. I make sure I keep a small supply of business cards on my person as well. That way, if I bump into someone in the grocery line or at the club or something, they have a way to get hold of me if they want their cards read.

I'm not awake during the day when most people are up, so working in a shop is pretty much out of the question. My in person readings are usually done at the clubs, sitting outside on their patio, or in local restaurants and/or coffee shops. Most places don't have a problem with it at all. I've had the wait staff come by at some places and remark that reading cards is awesome, and then they're really careful putting the drinks on the table. I've never bumped into religious nuts or anything like that when I read in public. *shrug*

I do readings in restaurants/pubs etc but only for fun. I had thought about doing readings in in my friends restaurants but then word would quickly get around and I would never have any peace :(

Aunty Anthea

I've been thinking about this as well.
I had some success tying in with theme party planners - at least you're indoors.

Thank you for that. I rather like your idea :thumbsup:

Aunty Anthea

Sad .... IMO ... looking for new ways (or old) to make money out of it. But then I suppose in today's world everything is seen as having a financial denominator :(

I only started charging when I was running a charity and did not have the heart to except money from the charity itself :)

Aunty Anthea

I don't think it's sad at all. A lot of people have worked a long time to develop their reading skills, doing free readings for years and finding out what works for them. After all that work, wouldn't you want to get a little something back for your trouble? Especially if you're making money on something you enjoy.

I agree that there are a lot of people out there who only use tarot as a way to rip people off, and those people really make me upset. They give people who read tarot a bad name. But that's different than developing your skills and feeling ready to start charging for readings for the general public. It's just like someone going to a college or technical school to perfect their craft, then opening a business so they can start making a living off of it. Some are going to cut corners and are just in it for the money, but others love what they do and want to live from it.

Money has always been a big deal. People have been making money off tarot and all sorts of fortune telling and mystical things for dozens, probably hundreds, of years, so that's nothing new. We do, however, have to adapt to the times. Thirty years ago there were no online services, and ten years ago there were no apps. Everything evolves; society, tarot readers, and jobs as a whole, so I see no reason why people shouldn't find new ways to make a living or just make a few extra bucks doing what they love.

But that's just my opinion! I respect that everyone has different ones.

For me it was a real struggle to except money from doing readings, but at the time I had the choice of either leaving a charity and teaching, or remaining with a hard up charity and finding other ways of gaining money on a part-time basis. As long as I continue to spend time helping other people free of charge, then I have no calms in receiving money for using my other abilities :)

Aunty Anthea

Watkins and Mysteries survive like mad. And many people read in cafes and coffee shops. There is also Camden Market. (The guy there who reads from a pirated Thoth deck on laminated A4 paper has been there for AGES !) But I think looking for a generic solution isn't the answer. I can think of several places near me where I could read for money if I wanted to - and I've seen several places with signs outside - TINY businesses. And that's in the staid North !

Agreed there are a handful of places that survive. I used to run a training centre in Camden years ago and it was a new age/hippie/vegetarian centre even then. The food was absolutely delicious :)

However the rest of the country does not do so well and apart from Brighton, it is probably difficult to find acceptance in most other regions of the UK :(

Aunty Anthea

You wouldn't have to be new age in order to work in such a place. The point being that most people who are "new agey" tend to be open and accepting of others from wide ranging traditions, I'm sure someone of your background would be more than welcome in that kind of setting.

True I probably would fit in, but there really are not many such places in the UK :(

Brilliance

Sad .... IMO ... looking for new ways (or old) to make money out of it. But then I suppose in today's world everything is seen as having a financial denominator :(

So true. Very sad...