For ALL who have the LS Native American Tarot!

Mi-Shell

This deck was on my wish list for quite some time and when I saw it in a store in Ottawa my left hand stretched out and grabbed it and has held on since.
OK : I know about ALL the controversies around Native inspired decks!!!
This one sure has its share of controversies!
However, this is not what this thread is intended for.
I love the artwork and since this LWB of this LoScarabeo deck is -in my humble opinion unusable at best,
I will -just for myself and other deck owners -maybe - shed some light into just WHAT is ON the cards: = the artwork and the meaning of whatever we find on individual cards. Now, of course I do not know what the artist’s thoughts were, when creating the paintings,- I wish I could ask or we would get some input from there!!!!!!
But many of the paintings show beautiful and evocative scenes right out of the middle of the lore and legends = the tribal wisdom of the Lakota, Mandan , Hidatsa , Ojibwa and other tribes !!!!
I - and others, who have this background of the Sacred mythology- can therefore interpret these cards / artwork in a much deeper sense than will ever be possible uising the LWB --from now on being referred to by me as the BWB = Bad White Book --- pun intended!

What do I mean by all this smart talk??
OK: examples:
Queen of Chalices: ----- why is she not the MOTHER of Water???? = a title much more in keeping with First Nation’s traditions....
Ok: She is the Woman who married a Bear from the legend of the same name....
Ace of Swords: there we have Anishenabe culture hero Nanabush/ Nanaboozho - the rabbit man(= rabbit Guardian in the sky,)fighting the powerful underwater monster that ate one of his Wolf-brothers, sons of Maheengun the Wolf.(Wolf-Manitou)
In the Knight of Chalices we see Nanabush in the early spring = back in human form ( transformed back from rabbit to human) on the back of Maheengun returning to his People. The mix of dwellings in the painting show teepees and round-huts = we looook at a Mandan village
This miracle happens when the moon is full in spring and Nanabush can drink fresh = not frozen spring water = a variant of the story the Mandan people cherish. Further north this magical event happens later in the year,when th first frogs sing.....
There is much more to the legend than that...
Next: Strength shows Nanabush and One Tooth , one of Maheengun’s sons..... and guess what: he lost a tooth!!! that is why the card looooks like “Wolf at Dentist”
Next:
in the 5 of Chalices we see Longotter, Guardian of the first degree of the Midewewin Medicine Lodge of the Ojibwa = as evidenced by the Otter Bundle and its red and blue prayer flags.......
To read more of just WHO Longotter is, I invite you into the Teaching Tent in the Spirituality Forum...
Next:
The LOVERS shows a scene from a Micmac tribe of Eastern Canada
----I could go on and on here!!!
Is anybody interested in my ramblings here?????

Ok: There are also BIIIIIG inconsistencies:
3 of Chalices: The BWB talks about Crow the card shows a crow BUT the meaning given in theBWB is for Tupulogaukuk the Raven and Creator trickster of West coast mythology!!
Crow is the sentinel over the camp and the Keeper of the Sacred Law known it us here as karma and understood as karma of cause and effect in nature and ecology....

4 of Chalices : the card shows a moose the BWB says elk and the few words written mach some aspects of ELK Medicine as in Wapiti, but not Hottah the Moose, symbol for the balance of male and female attributes in a being -as in balance of gentleness and brute strength.

Ok, enough writing done here!
I am not sure if anyone is interested in this and has the deck -gathering dust somewhere....
To what I have written here I will try to ad the scans of the cards ---- =if I get onto the other computer with the scanner attached!
Let me know, if I am just muttering to myself here or if anyone is “into this” and willing to ad or ask or whatever...
In Beauty and in Balance
Mi-Shell

Scans to follow later today....

Mi-Shell

.... 3 hours later...
nobody here!!????
Oh well.....
I said I would post the cards and so I will...

Attachments

• Woman who maried a bear.jpg
    Woman who maried a bear.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 535
  • Strength Wolf at the dentist's.jpg
    Strength Wolf at the dentist's.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 431
  • Lovers and Nanabush returns home.jpg
    Lovers and Nanabush returns home.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 419
  • Nanabush and Longotter.jpg
    Nanabush and Longotter.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 391
  • Hotah the moose.jpg
    Hotah the moose.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 392

Grizabella

Thanks for the scans. The art work really is beautiful. I hadn't seen that much of the deck before and I don't have it myself.

I don't think the artist and the person who writes the LWB are the same people so that's probably where the problems come in. The artist does research before doing the paintings, but the writer of the LWB may not have much chance to interact with the artist beforehand and may not have done as much research. I've heard that this is often a problem with LS decks.

I may eventually get the deck now that I've seen more of it, just because the art work is so pretty.

I'm not sure if I've answered your question because I was a little bit unclear just what the question was, to be honest. :)

Mi-Shell

Hi Lyric!
Great to hear from you!
I did not realy have a question - I was just wondering if anyone out there would benefit - or be interested in somehow getting a bit more information on what I -and hopefully others - see on the cards, with my knowing a lot of Native legends and myth and "Medicine meanings" of the animals and so on...
I do not want to fluff myself up, just thought I share......
I also suspected the things you mentioned about the artist not comunicating to the writer of the BWB!
It is very evident in the 8 of Swords which is a scene out of the legend of the Butterfly man:
The Butterfly man tries again and again to lure a human wife over to his beautiful realm of "no death and no pain". But every girl he finds and that agrees to come with him fals prey to the allure of the beautiful butterflies that are fluttering everywhere and eventualy grabs one of them and therefore fails the test and drops of into death....
So the message of the story is Futillity = just like the 8 of swords sometimes is. But the BWB talks about the symbol of soul and air and the breath......

Attachments

• Butterfly man 8 of Swords.jpg
    Butterfly man 8 of Swords.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 366

Grizabella

Maybe you should contact the LS people and offer to rewrite their book. :)

Tansey Ella

edited

Disa

Breezes said:
those cards are beautiful. I too am determined to find a native American deck I can use for everyday readings. i have (thanks to lyric) the medicine cards and the sacred path cards,and they are good, but not useful for everyday readings(although the medicine cards are pretty good)

Did you like the Vision Quest Tarot?

Mi-Shell

Breezes said:
those cards are beautiful. I too am determined to find a native American deck I can use for everyday readings. i have (thanks to lyric) the medicine cards and the sacred path cards,and they are good, but not useful for everyday readings(although the medicine cards are pretty good)

I personaly think the VisionQuest tarot is better suited for reading with than this one! It does not have any "problematic" or contradictory cards or any that are "insensitive" to Native culture.

Little Hare

Lyric said:
Maybe you should contact the LS people and offer to rewrite their book. :)

I think that's a fab idea!!! :D