French Decks

nicky

My close friend is traveling to France for a month and asked if a tarot deck would make for a nice souvenir. She is asking for suggestions and I would love a deck that would be hard to find or relatively unknown in the US. Any suggestions?

MareSaturni

Hum...you could always ask for a nice, tradition Marseilles with French titles and all...i'm looking fr one myself ;)

And, though it's not tarot, you can look for Lenormand decks (Pett Jeu), and specially for the Astro-Mythological (also called Grand Jeu Lenormand), quite easy to find in France and difficult (expensive) in other countries. You can find here a link to see pictures of this deck: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=90653

I'll think of more then let you kow :)

~ Marina

HearthCricket

Jeannette or Dan of Tarot Garden could probably give you a nice little list of decks that are hard to find anywhere else but easy to get in France. I would definitely look them up for some excellent suggestions. :)

karen0205

One of my favorite French decks is Tarot Parfum de Vie. It's got really beautiful
artwork. The pictures look really flat but the deck is much nicer in person. Rich colors, I really like it. It's more of an oracle deck though even thought it's sold as Tarot.

You could go to a site like playingcardsales.com and look up decks published in France. You can search by country there.

Here's a link:http://www.playingcardsales.co.uk/cards/moreimages/13906_6_loracle_parfum_de_vie.jpg

Cerulean

There's the French card maker here...

http://www.tarot-history.com/boutique/index.php

I actually have had the fun Perfume La Vie for a few years and liked them because they were manga-oriented to me...for some reason, I think of the grand old Marseilles as very very classic French, so a handmade classic seems to me to be 'tres chic!'

I like the suggestion of looking at R.Somerville to see what would look interesting...I browse them quite a bit for alternatives.

Happy hunting and gathering!

Cerulean

Skimo

Hi,

There are actually a few decks that I have not seen outside of France.

Like :
- l'oracle de la Triade (a friend of mine has it and it's pretty accurate)
- le tarot de l'ange liberté

A TdM could also be a good choice.

You could have a look on this website www.alchimiste.fr

Where exactly does she come in France?

easyboy82

I'd go for one of the classical decks used for cartomancy in french speaking countries:

Ancien Tarot de Marseille (Grimaud)
Oracle Belline (Grimaud) - this is the most expensive one
Petit Lenormand (Carta Mundi)

There are other two decks that even if they are more recent creations have got a nearly classical status in France as well as in Québec:

Oracle Gé
Oracle de la Triade

nicky

Oh Mon Dieu

LOL... well I went off to the net and googled the Oracles and then Tarot Gardened (is that a verb?) the 78 French made tarots and have quite the list... Thanks so much for the input. My friend will be in Paris and Lyon ... She said it will give her husband a mission so I assumed having a few options will mean some success at least instead of just one choice. The list (so far) :

Billard Tarot
Le Tarot du Chat
Tarocco Egiziano
Tarot Egyptien (Grand Jeu de l'Oracle des Dames)
Le Tarot Francais
Grand Etteilla (Egyptian Gypsies Tarot)
Tarot de Kersaint
Le Tarot Kibaro
Louttre B Tarot
Tarot de Marseille (Camoin)
Tarot Moretti - Carte a l'usage des joueur de Tarot
Le Nouveau Tarot de Marseille
Tarot Pastor
Princesse Tarot
Jeu de la Princesse
Esoteric Ancient Tarots
Tarot du Roy Nissanka
Samsara Tarot
Tarot Stephan
Le Tarot Traditionnel
Tarots Oreste Zevola

oak_woman

French decks

If you are attracted to the beautiful I Tarocchi Celtici by Laura Tuan but are more likely to make sense of the (very worthwhile) accompanying book in French rather than its native Italian, I recommend Les Tarots Celtiques which is simply the same thing in French translation.

gregory

Laura Tuan's decks are lovely - there are several (and if your friend is in Paris, Librairie L'Inconnu on Rue Cherche-Midi usually has them all - as well as other unusual French decks.)

Two more - Patrick Jeau or the Manouche. OK, Tarotgarden has them - but it's much NICER to get them from France.... and I have to say - cheaper.....

It is just possible they might find you the Tarot Ambre (Magnin - VERY hard to find - and I just saw it in a shop window !) or the Médiéval (Degome and Montangero) which Tarotgarden DON'T have and which I got in the store I mentioned ! I love it !

PS and I would second Le Tarot de l'Ange Liberté.