Gay-Friendly Tarot Decks

Zhritza

Not necessarily... I mean, for example the Art Nouveau I mentioned seems lesbian-friendly to me not because the women are scantily clad (although some of them are), but because they are portrayed in a way that implies positive intimacy/sexuality/commitment between them. Of course, the fact that they're attractive doesn't hurt. :)

madameleribbit

The Daughters of the Moon tarot deck has an alternative card of the Lovers for non heterosexual orientated people. It also alludes to different cultures. I just love this deck, you can find a summary in this page, as well of some pictures of it.

Tarotbear 2

Androgeny is not the same as gay-friendly. Gays want to see themselves reflectd in the art, not an androgenous mix that is niether str8 or gay.

Kayne's 21st Century tarot is described as 'gay-friendly'.

Most decks i find are 'homoerotic' - that is not necessrily gay either. (Just because the men are naked with ample endowments does NOT mean it's a gay deck! It means the artist liked big dicks!)

all78degrees

Lucifer_Sponge said:
Other than the Tarot of the Cosmic Tribe, I personally haven't seen or heard about any tarot decks that provide alternative Lovers cards for non-heterosexual people or otherwise prestent some sort of non-traditional symbolism that can suit the needs of people of all sexual orientations.

Does anyone else know of any decks like that?

~Sponge

The real short answer to that is almost all of them.

It really depends on what you think the images portray. I can't really think of a card that means hetrosexual. The lovers card is not really about love its about choices. It just happens to use a well known portrayal of choice.

Phantasmagoric has a neutral scene, halloween uses dracuals entrance in a miadens bedroom, renaissance is a homo friendly deck as is pomo(both by brian williams.

all78degrees

kayne

Re: Re: Gay-Friendly Tarot Decks

Hey All78degrees! Welcome to Aeclectic. :D
all78degrees said:
The lovers card is not really about love its about choices. It just happens to use a well known portrayal of choice.
I don't think you can say that the Lovers card is only interpreted as choices... after all, we each have our own interpretation of various cards and one of the strengths of tarot is it's flexability when it comes to these interpretaions.

all78degrees

Re: Re: Re: Gay-Friendly Tarot Decks

kayne said:
Hey All78degrees! Welcome to Aeclectic. :DI don't think you can say that the Lovers card is only interpreted as choices... after all, we each have our own interpretation of various cards and one of the strengths of tarot is it's flexability when it comes to these interpretaions.

To be far to me I said it was not really about love, The lovers card is about lots of things but it is NOT predominately about an idea of hetrosexual love/relationships. In that case I would not immediately call a deck non gay frieindly for not having a two male/female lovers.

Some decks are however not male friendly MotherPeace and Daughters of the Moon.

hugs

all78degrees

The 78th Fool

Don't forget the Brotherhood Tarot by Patric Stillman. This is an explicitly gay deck and it was published not long after Lee's Gay Tarot. It is photo collaged and draws on gay mythology for many of it's themes. It's a wonderful, somehow happy deck and I use it a lot.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/brotherhood/

Chris. xx

Zephyros

I really, really, really, really, really, really love the Gay Tarot! I connect with it perfectly, and for some questions it is the only deck I use! I find it somewhat less useful for day to day questions, but relationship-wise, it is the best deck that I have for that!

Saleheim

I think Gay oriented decks are very cool, just belong to life just as Gay people do. Unfortunately I don't think they are easy to get in the Netherlands.

souljourney

Personally I think the World Spirit Tarot also is gay-friendly and not just the Lovers Card (which I think could easily be interpreted as 2 women).
I would love to see a "Lesbian Tarot" in the style of Lee's Gay Tarot deck.