GIANT! crystal cave.

ravenest

I just saw David Atinborough's 'Planet Eart' series, Episode;Caves. Has anyone seen that? One cave was at the bottom of a type of collapsed depression, the cavers went in and dug it out and found an entrance. It is a giantic cave that was limestone with other minerals in it and crystals formed throughout. Then water eroded the limestone and left the crystals. - Everywhere! Rooms full of crystals, crystal wallpaper, giant bunches of crystals, crystal coloumns, chandeliers, 5 metre long crystals, crystals everywhere of all shapes throughout this giagantic cave. I was blown away. I wanna go there
WOW!!
Cant remeber the name otherwise I would be googling pics, anyone know the name of this cave?

MCsea

ravenest we must have been watching the same program - how amazing was that!

MARINA

huredriel

Seen the whole series ravenest ...... not due for the second series in the UK for some time I think. Wonderful episode, though can't remember the name. Think they got special permission to film in there as a one-off. Amazing stuff.

(My personal favourite was the snow leopard) :)

Elven

What an amazing cave - thanks for the site marina (you must have been in mineral heaven! :love)

I couldn't resist but heres (from that site) one of the crystals in the cave - nature - she's a artist!!
http://www.resurgentsoftware.com/images/83.jpg

... and last week I went to Jenolan Caves in NSW - which are the oldest of all the big cave systems known and went through the Chifley cave! It was beautiful! I have some pictures, and will downlaod them on here when I get them put to disk - but the beautiful crystal veils and curtain - unbelievable beauty. I adore caves!

Thanks for the thread!
Blessings
Elven x

SilverCloudedWolf

I saw the series too... i think I had my jaw on the floor looking at those caves. I'd love to see that big one with the chandelier if it was open, but I'm not sure I could cope with the hours of climbing. Besides I think I'd be too scared of breaking crystals!!!

Elven, you are so lucky, I don't know of anywhere like that near me.

Silver

Elven

Yes, i feel blessed to have some much natural wonder around me - the caves at Jenolan are about 45 minutes away - 15 minutes down the highway and then another 30 minutes trying to miss potholes long a very thin windey mountain road LOL!!

There are not may pictures here, but a few, the cave system is quite large, but then the tourism department I guess wants people to go there, so they dont provide many pictures.

http://www.jenolancaves.org.au/information.asp?tb=j_caves

greenfrog

Hi ravenest,

Just a question, what Channel was it on, and when was it on?
Sounds like a great show, will try to buy a copy of it on DVD if they have it.

ravenest

greenfrog said:
Hi ravenest,

Just a question, what Channel was it on, and when was it on?
Sounds like a great show, will try to buy a copy of it on DVD if they have it.
ABC 7:30 on ? weekend check your local programme.