Gonna learn Thoth if it kills me - Majors

Aeon418

Abrac said:
I see the lowered left hand as sexual in nature.
This isn't an Aeon of Osiris Hierophant, so maybe it's a benediction of the sexual nature.

Aeon418

cardlady22 said:
When I look at dice pips, I like the thought that 1 through 4 is showing two-dimensional shapes. The 5 is where we go 3-D! A blooming, or explosion, into all directions.
You can go 3-D with just 4 points.

Abrac

Gematria

Nicky, I feel the same way about Gematria, and Kabbalah as well. I know that will probably get me tarred and feathered here, but I find them both utterly useless. There, I said it!

Edit: I don't really have anything against either one if a person finds them useful, but as I see it they are more of a secret code as anything, used by those who understand it. They communicate something else which can usually be arrived at by other means. To me it's a lot less confusing to just do an end run around them. ;)

Abrac

Nine Nails

The nine nails may be suggestive of the ninth Tarot trump, The Hermit.

In his 'Remarks on the method of receiving Liber Legis' in Equinox of the Gods, Crowleys writes: "Now the other letter, Theta or Teth, has the value of Nine, which is that of AVB, the Secret Magick of Obeah, and of the Sephira Yesod, which is the seat in man of the sexual function by whose Magick he overcomes even Death."

In my view the snake is a reference to male sexuality and the dove female.

Aeon418

Abrac said:
In my view the snake is a reference to male sexuality and the dove female.
Almost but a little too narrow. Instead of gender, think direction.

Serpent - Kundalini - rising.

Dove - Shekhinah - descending.

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
Almost but a little too narrow. Instead of gender, think direction.

Serpent - Kundalini - rising.

Dove - Shekhinah - descending.

And perhaps Dove = Netzach the ascending Fire sphere.
and Snake = Mercury the descending water sphere.
Both joined bythe path of Peh the Tower, which also shows the Dove and the Serpent.

nicky

Bees

Found this reference strolling around the net:

Bees were also called "hymenoptera," meaning "veiled-wing," after the hymen
or the veil that covered the inner sanctum of the Goddess temples, the veil
having been the physical counterpart in women's bodies. (Barbara Walker,
"The Women's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets," p. 407.

Abrac

I found this old image that looks remarkably like our nailed snake. It has ties to alchemy, but its true origin is probably the Old Testament, Numbers 21:4-9. It was said to have healing properties and could even save a person from death. This sounds a lot like Crowley's words I quoted before: "Now the other letter, Theta or Teth, has the value of Nine, which is that of AVB, the Secret Magick of Obeah, and of the Sephira Yesod, which is the seat in man of the sexual function by whose Magick he overcomes even Death." I would bet the farm that Crowley, Harris or both drew inspiration from this image.

Serpent

Aeon418

similia said:
And perhaps Dove = Netzach the ascending Fire sphere.
and Snake = Mercury the descending water sphere.
Both joined bythe path of Peh the Tower, which also shows the Dove and the Serpent.
Nephesh - the animal soul. NPhSh - Nun Peh Shin. Try tracing in on the Tree of Life.

Risng Kundalini Serpent - Nun, Death, Scorpio.

Descending Spirit Dove - Shin , Aeon, Fire.

In each case it's the same Libido energy. It's just going in different directions.

Le Fanu

Nice thread, but all these names! Here is where I begin to get submerged and bow out...

Antimony? Kundalini? Shekhina? Peh? Gematria?The Aeon of Osiris? Obeah (with or without his Secret Magic)? The list is endless (I was following it all up to a certain point).

Everybody seems so familiar with all these names. Even with DuQuette and Snuffin which Im working through, I have no idea...

And here´s little old me thinking I could use the Thoth for daily draws and see what it has to say about my insignificant little daily routine...

How do I reconcile the Eternal Majesty and Magnificence of Thoth erudition, and use it to illuminate a life as insignificant as mine? :)