Got the sun as a final card. Question?

SunriseDesire

OK so I had a question that I asked of my deck the other day. I had dated a man a few years ago, a long distance relationship. We split up, but it was amicable. Anyways, I felt there were some changes in my life which would now make us more compatible. So, to decide if I should contact him again, I did a reading, and I chose the celtic cross. For the outcome the first time, I got King of Cups. My book advised me that a second reading is a good idea when you end with a court card, so i shuffled and dealt again and ended up with the Sun. To me, the Sun is a wonderful card to get for this purpose. It seems to mean a new start on Love. However, I am reading different takes on that card when I look at this site. Anyway, what's everyone's opinion on what I got?

balenciaga

SunriseDesire said:
To me, the Sun is a wonderful card to get for this purpose. It seems to mean a new start on Love

Sun as outcome: Truth. It is all clear, honest, above- board, and out in the open. Positive outlook.

SunriseDesire

that makes me kinda nervous. almost as though i'll get the "i never loved you" speach. oh well. im just nervous in general right now. im trying to keep remembering "positive". it's funny tho, because to me, the sun card seemed like a great card to get when it comes to love.

Thirteen

SunriseDesire said:
To me, the Sun is a wonderful card to get for this purpose. It seems to mean a new start on Love. However, I am reading different takes on that card when I look at this site. Anyway, what's everyone's opinion on what I got?
Two things, first, the more "negative" connotations of the Sun really depend on the rest of the spread or it's position. When people ask "how can the Sun be seen as negative" it is usually because it showed up on a position like "what I fear" or "what I need to fix" or something like that in their spread.

But as you got it in "Outcome" the negative/positive aspect of this card is dependent on the other cards and what they say. Were they generally positive?

Second, I've never heard that you need to do a second spread if the first ends in a court card. (That would seem, to me, to undermine court cards, as if they can't do what other cards do--and why do a whole other spread rather than just lay down a clarifying card?) But whatever I think about this, you did do a first spread before that second spread. And you did get the King/Cups.

I don't think you should ignore the King/Cups result. The suggestion is that this potential romance has matured; the years have made you both wiser in regards to love, commitment and other things that you may have been too "young" to deal with the first time around. The Sun, as Balenciaga points out, doesn't promise romance. But it does promise positive results, a friendly, energetic, sunny and clear-sighted discussion. Like the King/Cups, the Sun says that you both can look at what you had, understand why it was good, why it didn't work, how you've both changed, and if something better could happen now. I would say that your friend will be not only be very happy and delighted to hear from you, but as honest and insightful about your relationship, past and future, as you are.

Gorreti

I'm no expert but I would always consider the Sun to be a positive card - from the RW deck, the sun is shining and sunflowers - which to me are happy and friendly flowers. They are strong and it takes a lot of effort to dig them up, maybe this represents digging up the past - its something you're nervous about and you need to be in a strong frame of mind to do this.....

There's also the carefree child on horseback - he looks to be carefree but because he's wearing a crown of sunflowers to me it symbolises a strong willed person, maybe willed isn't the right word, but he's happy to be himself. He's not afraid of the horse because he feels he's in control.

The horse is heading forward so the child could be you on the horse (travelling to see your ex)

There is also a wall between the sunflowers and the child - this to me in a "love" related question suggests two people with something coming between them - maybe its the distance. I haven't a clue who represents who and I don't know what the rest of your reading said.

Anyway when the sun is shining I'm in a good mood, I feel happy and even if there is a problem - well at least the sun is out, my clothes are drying, I'm getting a tan....

On a non-tarot note, if you're worried about the reaction you may get, you could always guage the situation by doing a friend request on facebook or something? You might also get an insight into what he's up to these days..... Are you sure he's still single?

If he is - go for it! nothing ventured. The worst that can happen is you get the speech you're dreading, but at least you can leave the past behind you and move on. Its a positive future either way in my opinion.

SunriseDesire

ty, goretti. ive already sent the email so now i am in wait and see mode. just something friendly discussing what's new for me [including the changes] and kind of extended the option to be in contact now.... im hoping it works because what i wanted to suggest [depending on his reaction] is us meeting halfway between our homes to go on a date. Just to see what happens. Interesting cuz you mentioned travelling. I hadn't mentioned that to you guys or in the email.

Thirteen, Id never thought you needed to do it again for a court card either. I hadn't worked with my tarot in awhile so i was going by the book to fill in what was a bit rusty for me. I like what you said about the King of Cups being about us maturing, etc. We had broken up over something that he felt was a part of my personality [he's more laid back, doesn't allow things to get to him. I wasn't that way] but he'd never told me it was a problem until we broke up. It's something ive changed....and maybe he learned also to discuss things like that before just ending it??

The rest of the cards were all positive, IMO. I have them written down at home, I dont have that with me.

Gorreti

Like I said earlier - I'm a newbie!!!

The two could represent yin & yang - you and your ex... It also suggests (to me) that you are a highly organised person but feel like your stuck in a rut.

In this position it might mean that you are happy with your life in general but feel something is missing, a relationship perhaps? Are you looking back at your ex because your love life recently is in the toilet? You remember him as being a nice guy compared to some of the idiots you've dated recently and perhaps you think contacting him is easier than looking for someone new. Maybe you've worked so hard at other aspects of your life you have lost your mojo.

The King of swords came up in a reading I did for a friend of mine in the lovers spread, I got a totally wrong theory although the guys here enlightened me. He signifies uncertainty which fits in with how you are feeling

your last post disappeared as I was going through the cards so thats as far as I got with my interpretation of your reading. Anyway I'll check back later

Thirteen

SunriseDesire said:
The rest of the cards were all positive, IMO. I have them written down at home, I dont have that with me.
Well, you couldn't talk about them in this section anyway as that would be fore the reading section :) But it helps to know that the other cards support a positive view of this outcome. If they were negative, we might still say the outcome would be positive, but it'd be more like you'd overcome the negatives to get there rather than that they were all supporting a bright and sunny conclusion.

Ultimately, the cards seem to agree that it's a good idea to make contact.

SunriseDesire

hi, goretti. yeah, i posted the cards [eek! took me awhile to type it out too!] but it disappeared. anyways...it's not that there's no one else i could be with. on the contrary, there's a couple of guys interested. but he's the one i never forgot. not so much that he treated me betteer or anything but that, it's just we had a very unique connection.

sorry, thirteen!! well, the email was sent, so lets see!

balenciaga

Thirteen said:
Second, I've never heard that you need to do a second spread if the first ends in a court card. (That would seem, to me, to undermine court cards

As a side note regarding courts: I have been known to remove them from the deck when they all show up together, flooding a cc, for example. Recently, all Queens were banned. :)