Gothic Tarot of the Vampires

AJ

don't mind those whose purpose seems to be pissing on the parade :) It is always exciting to find a deck you enjoy using, which will continue to show you new facets over time.

If I haven't said it already, welcome to AT!

GypsyHeart

I ordered it and am expecting any day. I'm looking forward to it.

rwcarter

AJ said:
don't mind those whose purpose seems to be pissing on the parade :) It is always exciting to find a deck you enjoy using, which will continue to show you new facets over time.

Well, that's the great thing about tarot. A deck that someone else hates and/or doesn't work for them might be the same deck that someone else loves and/or works like a charm for them.

I have the deck in question (I love Vampires), but haven't actually used it yet. But that's because I have far too many decks clamoring for my attention, not because I don't like it.:D

Rodney

desertreader

peace_pixie said:
... was silly enough to trade it away when i was 16 because someone told me a dark deck would attract dark spirits LOL! Once that seed was planted in my head i had to get rid of the deck...

Enjoy your deck, its great to here it spoken of with such passion

Blessings
P_P

Thanks, Peace_pixie! My first tarot teacher said similar things about the Thoth deck. She gave it away because she thought it would attract negative entities to her. (she was the first person I can recall who claimed to see entities everywhere) At that time I had a pretty low opinion of Crowley anyway so after that I wasn't in a hurry to buy the deck. Plus there was one card in the deck that totally creeped me out - funny I can't find that card today.

I own both the large and medium size Thoth now. I want the pocket size eventually.

desertreader

annik said:
I do have this deck. I go to it when I have a dark topic and isn't using the Vargo. I feel there is a different energy between the two decks and it is a good thing (for me at least). Both deck have a appeal to me. The Vargo seems a little bit more etheral and asthetic while the gothic vampire is more energetic, bloody and more raw.

annik, I may call on you with questions. I'll have to look at the Vargo deck again. I can't recall the impression it made on me now.

You're right about the Gothic Vampire -very primal

raventepes

I must say that if you're gonna go with gothic, Go with the Bohemian Gothic. Or both that AND the Vargo. Then combine them.

desertreader

Yurikome said:
Oh I love it, it's my absolute favourite. Very rich and lots of action in the cards, I especially like that. It's a "show, don't tell" kind of deck. Lots of situations to ponder upon from both the mortal and immortal point of view.

I trimmed mine not too long after getting it, first leaving just the tops with the numbers and signs, then cutting those off as well. Some black marker around the edges and it's properly dark now. And I still can't believe the things I didn't notice in the pictures before I did it!

I hope you'll enjoy using it as much as I do :)

Yurikome, I may be calling on you with questions too! You've got a wonderful feel for the deck.

Trimming - I've seen this referred to in other threads. It's a little freaky to me. It feels like it's damaging the cards on purpose. Did you do that on all of them?

desertreader

AJ said:

Thanks, AJ!

desertreader

raventepes said:
I must say that if you're gonna go with gothic, Go with the Bohemian Gothic. Or both that AND the Vargo. Then combine them.

I didn't think I was going "gothic" - The word is in the title of the deck and I like the deck.

The Vargo I can't visualize right now - the Bohemian Gothic makes my brain scream 'CELLULOID MADNESS!' - even more so now.

Yurikome

Oh do ask questions, please :D

Well, this is the only deck of mine I trimmed so far. Since the backs aren't reversible anyway the assymentry of the picture after the cut doesn't bother me at all. (HA, if I were to be bothered with the backs at all I'd be mostly irritated by their bland, washed out color). If you feel you're harming the cards in a way obviously don't do it. For me they're just pictures on paper for me to make use of, and I find I make better use of them without the borders and signs - just the picutre, no distractions. But then again, I'm the intuitive type. I don't go "hmm ace of swords.. well, aces mean beginnings and swords mean this and that etc". I go "hmm why is this guy pulling at the sword instead of running away from the fire? Or is he pushing? There's no blood spilled... yet" etc

Another thing, the borders, for me, were too hmm "technical"? Sort of clashed with the watercolor illustrations, as if I was looking at the pictures on a monitor. Like this they're almost the size of standard playing cards (a bit longer), so that's another plus from my point of view. I was hoping to link some pictures to the trimmed deck, but this will have to wait as my scanner is playing up :/ But in the meanwhile you can have a look at my take on the cards if you're interested - here are some links to threads I started in the exchange forum:
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=80619
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=85380
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=86656