Grandville, Grimaud, La Sibylle des Salons

ladybird

I have a lovely cartomancy deck with JJ Grandville's illustrations that I'd like to try to find the year it was published in.

It's put out by B.P. Grimaud. There are 52 cards plus an extra La Sibylle des Salons (which I assume may be Mlle Lenormand?). I can't read French so the LWB isn't helping me with a printing date.

Here are some pictures, can someone please help me with any clues or ideas? Thank You!

Attachments

• DSC03202s.jpg
    DSC03202s.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 747
  • DSC03205s.jpg
    DSC03205s.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 737
  • DSC03207s.jpg
    DSC03207s.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 670
  • DSC03208s.jpg
    DSC03208s.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 650
  • DSC03204s.jpg
    DSC03204s.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 668

gregory

The ORIGINAL was published in 1890 - do you actually have one that old ? I think not, from the box. There have been reprints, including a Grimaud one in 1930

There was a third printing of this in 1968 which I bet is yours:

Image here

Freddie here uses it:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=137961

ladybird

Thanks gregory! No, it doesn't seem as old as 1890. It's the same box as the image you posted. So maybe it is 1968? The link with Freddie's pictures has the same Grandville illustrations and card inset but interesting that his cards are numbered differently!

I'll post a picture with my cards soon.

ladybird

Compared with Freddie's cards you'll see the decks are numbered differently. I wonder why they changed the numbering? It looks like Freddie's are in order with the suit and mine are in no particular order. It's nice to read the English translation on his page too, I can't read French so that helps! :)

Attachments

• La Sibylle Des Salons - 1.jpg
    La Sibylle Des Salons - 1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 763
  • La Sibylle Des Salons - 2.jpg
    La Sibylle Des Salons - 2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 695
  • La Sibylle Des Salons - 3.jpg
    La Sibylle Des Salons - 3.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 656
  • La Sibylle Des Salons - 4.jpg
    La Sibylle Des Salons - 4.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 638

ladybird

If that was an oldish reprint - yes. The current one has a brown box. There are several on ebay. I'll get out my Manteia later. Well, tomorrow - it's getting late here !

I am SURE that box of yours isn't 1890 - I was kidding about that !
:D LOL, I missed the tone there. I'd like to see how they were packaged in 1890 though. Yeah, the blue tuck box seems more 20th century. :)

I'll go see about the brown boxed edition to compare. Thanks again!

gregory

That IS odd. Maybe get in touch with Freddie. BUT - also try Teheuti. She knows her stuff about these,

Teheuti

I have a blue-box La Sibylle des Salons that's probably from the 1970s. That's all I know about them. I've never seen an older set except for the links given here. It's not a deck I read with or have been concerned to collect.

ladybird

Thanks for the input on the date, Teheuti. It seems from that era, late 60s-70s. A friend found it at a flea market in France. I'm curious, is your blue box just in French or does it have the English translation on it like the newer decks?

Teheuti

The booklet is in English: "The Art of Fortune-Telling by Cards Taught By the Parlour Sibyl" (B.-P. Grimaud). No date.