"Great danger"

SphinYote

I usually tell them that they have very little faith in their God if they think sheets of cardboard with ink on them are dangerous.

Little Baron

Busybodies. I wish people would go about their own business and not feel the need to butt into everyone elses.

LB

*Just off out into the garden to sacrifice a pig*

Briar Rose

I think people that don't read Tarot are weird!

Mariana

Dear all, please be gentle with these people instead of condemning them. I grew up in a family like that and understand what they're coming from. They don't mean to judge you, most of the time, they're just afraid and may really be concerned for you, because they truly believe that evil forces use occult means to infiltrate in people's lives. I know it sounds naive, but then again, believing that tarot cards do reveal a truth, may sound just as naive. Really, most christians are just idealists who want to work towards a better world, just like most people here, even if they approach it differently.

Also, please be careful with generalising 'christian'. There are lots of types of christianity. Some very fundamentalist, some very open and loving and liberating. American christians are very different from European christians, etc etc.

But yes, it's very, very frustrating to get that reaction. It annoys me too, every time it happens. That's why I don't tell strangers about being interested in tarot. (Well, here in Europe most people won't object for religious reasons, but because they think it's a silly superstition that no intelligent person can take seriously.) There are even some friends I can't tell, not because they would judge me, but because they would be genuinely concerned and I don't want to upset them for nothing. I guess people's negative reaction is just something I try to anticipate and circumvent. Whenever I do get that reaction, I just reply that I think a fear-based approach to life is even more dangerous, because it tends to lead to black-and-white thinking and demonising the opposite side. As a general remark, so they can't feel attacked. That's all. And then I go about my business.

Gemini Rising

Thank you, Mariana! That was very insightful!

gregory

If they want respect for their beliefs, then they should respect those of others - whether they disapprove or not. I happen to think the beliefs of most organised religions are potentially just as dangerous as tarot - probably more so; when was there last a war over tarot ??? - but I don't go around telling them they are wicked and that religion generally oppresses and often starts wars..... even though that happens to be my view.

...........I don't tell them that YET............. })

And I will never say so to Indigo rose, of course. :D

PS - I agree, Mariana - it is often fear based. But fear is not an excuse for unacceptable behaviour.

Little Baron

I think that what I find offensive is how many people find it ok to step inside my space and critisise how I live my life, but I am not extended the same priviledge. I know that not all Christians are the same, but the majority I have met, have had ignorance as a large part of their make up.

I am not Christian, but I have spent many years reading about Christianity. I have also spend my own time looking into both Buddhism and Vodou. Before making any kind of judgement, I researched. And generally, I don't think it is my right to step into somebody else's spritual belief system and make a whole load of noise. I can understand how fear can be a motivator. But knowledge is a great way to disable fear and I wish more people would go seek some before spouting off about things that they know little to nothing about.

LB

Little Baron

Exactly, Gregory.

LB

Baroli

Hey LB!!!

I am a Christian, card carrying Baptist, LOL Do I appear scary? ROFLMAO

I have to agree with Gregory on this one. Don't reply to the email, someone is obviously on a crusade. :D:D:D

Baroli

PS. It's just plain common sense to respect what other believe.

Grizabella

Mariana said:
Dear all, please be gentle with these people instead of condemning them. I grew up in a family like that and understand what they're coming from. They don't mean to judge you, most of the time, they're just afraid and may really be concerned for you, because they truly believe that evil forces use occult means to infiltrate in people's lives.

They're doing it more because they're afraid of their God and afraid that if they don't "win souls for Christ" in this way, then they won't get to heaven, either, in a majority of cases. It's concern for their own fate that causes them to do this, more than concern for the souls of the people they prey on, although they may be loving and idealistic, as you say.

Mariana said:
Whenever I do get that reaction, I just reply that I think a fear-based approach to life is even more dangerous, because it tends to lead to black-and-white thinking and demonising the opposite side. As a general remark, so they can't feel attacked. That's all. And then I go about my business.

Great response!