Halloween Tarot Traditions

Shade

I was wondering if any other tarot readers do anything special with their cards for the Halloween Season - making the most of the time when the veil between the worlds is thin.

For this month I mainly use decks that fit the spirit of the season: The Halloween Tarot, Archeon, Witchy, this year I'll try out the Deviant Moon.

I also always do the "Spiral of Emergence" (I think that's what it's called) spread that Rachel Pollack discuses in her book Forest of Souls designed for Samhain/Halloween. This is my "big look at the year ahead reading. I may do a little something this year as a dedication to Hecate my Patroness (Matroness?) as a Seer.

What do others do for this special season?

HearthCricket

Hi Shade!

I also like to turn to seasonal decks. Deviant Moon, Bohemian Gothic, Archeon, Halloween, Gothic Vargo, and certain darker oracles, like the Enchanted, Madame Endora and Dragonfae. I also use my runes more, scry more and my pendulums get a lot of attention, too! All in all it is a busy time of year for divination!

I am not sure I will have any specific ritual that I will do, besides the usual reading/scrying. Halloween is busy with kids coming to the door, though afterwards and late into the night (so glad it is on a Friday, this year!!) if I am not tired, I do stay up late and after midnight to see the New Year come in. I find the early hours of November 1st to be particularly haunting.

I like your idea of a dedication to someone. I have been working with my guides, lately, and all of a sudden Kali is everywhere. This was completely unexpected. Maybe I will do something special for her. I will know better when the month is at an end, unless something encourages me to do something earlier, which is always possible!!

All Is One

My Favorite Time Of The Year

I also just do a lot more readings and focus on tuning into this special time.

I just got the Halloween Tarot....oly one reading but it was very good.

The Bohemian Gothis has been on hold with me from Amazon.....hoping it will arrive on time.

The Transparent Tarot, while not Halloweeny will hopefully be here that day.

I plan to use the Tarot of the Dead, and the Deviant and the Thoth all together, for the rest of the month.

I like the Fantastical also and the Meidieval Scapine (I have issues with that word) for this time of year.

Great idea.

With the way my house is now decorated.....purple and orange lights everywhere and all sorts of things (THANK YOU GRIP) my readings will be different....that is for sure.

Cerulean

I change my tarot for the season...

...but the change is entirely personal.

I was given a bag that had Baba-Prague's imprint on it, but the image was linked to the Star Weaver's (Hoshi Matsuri) Festival of the Seventh Day of the Seventh Month...the festival itself includes Bon Odori or re-anactments of dancing to welcome the spirits of the departed, with the drums sounding to attract and scare of the bad...that's an inherited Halloween that seems very appropriate!

All in all, the bag reminded me of stories and my favorite Baba Prague deck for readings, the Fairy Tale. I had boxed up my Bohemian and Victorian for good storage, but my Fairy Tale was fretting for a beautiful bag.

As it turns cooler and I crave warmth, I'm turning to good stories and a new deck!

I want to construct a new layout spread instead of my standards...maybe a jack-o-lantern's smile or an arched cat's meow!

Cerulean

Nevada

But aren't all Tarot decks somewhat Halloweenish? I mean, if Samhain is the time of the thinning of the veil, and if Tarot is a tool for seeing beyond the veil...?

I don't do anything special regarding what deck I use, but I love this time of year.

Some people wish every day was Christmas. I sometimes wish everyday was Halloween. But maybe I should be careful what I wish for.

Nevada

Shade

Cerulean said:
I want to construct a new layout spread instead of my standards...maybe a jack-o-lantern's smile or an arched cat's meow!

Ooh I would love to see what you come up with for a Jack-O-Lantern spread.

You inspired me Cerulean to try something out, i did a little search online for an image to go along with the spread I was thinking of - attached below.

Season of the Witch Spread
The Witch Herself - Significator - sets the tone for the reading, the special powers the querent has and their ability to transform energy
The Cauldron - something percolating in your life - the matter of the reading
The Spellbook - the plan, where things are currently headed
The Black Cat - forces that are here to assist you
The Skull - a message from your ancestors, advice form those who know best
The Broom - what you need to take your plans further

Any suggestions? Since there is a grave in the image I had found I thought about a "things that have passed beyond" but that didn't seem to move the reading forward and witches are notorious for not being limited by such things as the mortal coil - especially on Halloween. I kept trying to squeeze a "Witch's Hat" into the spread but each attempt felt like I was forcing it. (Edited to add: Duh... I'm a dork, I laid out the cards in a pyramid shape making a nice pokey witches hat).

I think I'll test the spread out with my Halloween and Witchy decks.

Attachments

• witch.jpg
    witch.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 115

Debra

Last year I used the Fantod pack at a Halloween party.

It was a gas.

This year I'm trying to get tickets to see Nine Inch Nails. :D

Cerulean

Witch's Hat--love it--but what about the bird above the skull?

Let me check out the shape of your spread and add notes later...I think I'd like seven, which includes the bird

Cerulean

1. Based on Shade's picture
Pointy Hat...
XXXXX 7 XXXXXX
XXX 5 XX 6 XXXX
XX 3 XXXX 4 XXX
X 1 XXXXXX 2 XX

Hope it looks clear...
--------------------------------------------------------
Witch's Broomstick
---1-2-3-9
------4--8
-----5---7

1. Past
2. Present
3. Future hope
4. Immediate future
5. What might drag me down
6. Bottom's up--First action
7. Next step up the ladder
9. Future hope outcome
10. What will boost me upward
11. How high will I fly
12. What wisdom/outcome

What do you think of the Witches' Broomstick?

Best,

Cerulean

Shade

Nice spread Cerulean, I was thinking about that bird. I had thought "Message you will receive" but then I thought that was the same as advice from the ancestors... and the bird is standing on the skull so I linked them in my mind.

Sinduction

Ministry says everyday is Halloween.

I don't see why you wouldn't add on the grave. A lot of how witches are able to leave behind things is the knowledge that said thing is meant to be left. But we are also human and sometimes need a nudge. :D I personally love graves and graveyards as I think there is much wisdom found in such places. So maybe tie it into what is learned or gained from letting go? Just a thought.

I'm so excited to have the Giger deck by the holiday. I think this month it will be the BoGo and that one. I find that not sticking to traditional decks makes it easier to get to the true meaning of the reading. Especially during this time.

I'm so excited!