Halloween Tarot Traditions

Sulis

Moderator note

Hi Folks,

Just a gentle reminder to keep this discussion tarot focused rather than just talking about Hallowe'en traditions in general.

Thanks,

Sulis - co-moderator - Talking Tarot

Cerulean

I did break out a deck that I had been saving...

and did a six-card reading, shaped into a bridge-like arch

xxxxxxx 3 xx 4
xxxx 2 xxxxxxxx 5
xx 1 xxxxxxxxxx 6

I think it was a nice, quiet way to do tribute of those who past beyond by remembering them and also doing a reading of 'what wisdom I could bring into my life' from the past.

It was a deck new to my readings--Touchstone Tarot. I'm eager to get the popular press edition next year with the book...right now I'm using the Golden Tarot deck book, as many of the scenic descriptions also work with the main themes of the new deck--not all the details are the same, but the main theme and ideas in the card are similar enough.

Best,

Cerulean

Shade

I just thought I would perform some necromancy and resurrect this thread. What are taroists doing this Halloween season?

I'm reading the very faboo companion to the Vampyre tarot and looking at the Shadow. Also of course reading in public as often as possible as this is the time when people seem most open to Tarot.

MeeWah

I'll bite ;)

At this time of the year, it depends on the type of reading, but I have some favourites: Halloween Tarot (natch); Tarot for Cats (Majors only deck); Crow's Magick; DruidCraft; Deviant Moon; Nigel Jackson; Victorian Romantic...

Also, the Chinese Tarot--October hosts the Moon Goddess Festival, also known as the Autumn Moon Festival.

MeeWah

Almost forgot that I do a Samhain reading, but the particular spread varies. Depends on whatever occurs or catches my eye.

Morwenna

The party I mentioned a few years ago no longer exists because the host got divorced and moved out of state. :( So I don't have any particular venue in mind for the holiday or the preceding weekend. But since it's October, I'm planning on using the Halloween Tarot and spend a bit of time delving into the Vargo Gothic.

Back when it was first posted, I fell in love with Metafizzypop's Haunted House spread (it's in Spreads somewhere; the index has it listed). I need to memorize it so I can pull it out at a moment's notice; that would be fun to try on people in a party atmosphere, but I wouldn't want to have to rely on a crib sheet for positional meanings.

Since I go out every Halloween to join in the neighborhood block-party atmosphere, I wonder if I should bring a deck so I'm prepared should I run into a like-minded fellow-wanderer or householder... :D

tarotbear

By the Light of the Silvery moon ....

Once upon a time - when I was much more Pagan than I am today - a friend and I would go outside on Samhain with our scrying mirrors and see if we could see anything in them. We would also do Tarot readings for each other.

WolfSpirit

As I mentioned earlier, I use the Halloween Tarot this time of the year - not exclusively though.

And this year, as a fun thing, I want to use the Medieval Tarot with the extra 'reworked' cards I got from this magician's site
http://www.medievaltarot.com/index.cfm?page=19&lang=en&shop=true&Category=3
(scroll down a bit for the Medieval Tarot)
There is a normal deck but there are extra sets you can buy with a Devil card without a Devil, an Emperor without a head, the Lovers with the Devil in the background etc.
I cannot do magician's tricks so I will use it for readings. I can see depth and additional meanings in the reworked cards although they are meant to be fun.

WooMonkey

The Halloween Tarot seems the obvious choice, but I REALLY like Debra's post about using the Fantod Pack.
All the predictions would be dire, however. Perhaps I could mix it with the Gummy Bear for some light candy relief...

Glass Owl

Some time ago I started a Halloween Spread Index thread but a lot of them can be used year round. Halloween has always been my favorite holiday so I find myself weaving my love for it along with Tarot. This year I really want to pull out the Deviant Moon and some other dark decks after treat-o-treating time.