Has anyone had this experience with decks...?

tarotspeaks

Hi All

I seem to keep going for decks that I already own. I like RWS and its clones (such as Golden RWS), TdM, Thoth and Golden Dawn. But because I have been buying these decks as I see them, now I have,

5x RWS (4 from 1970s, 1 NEW)
3x TdM (All from 1980s)
4x Thoth (2x 1970s, 2x NEW)
2x Golden Dawn (1x 1970s, 1x NEW)
1x GOLD (New)
1x Golden RWS

My reasons for getting the decks I already own would be such as, well because it is older, it is different design on the backs, it has been printed in different country, it is cheaper than the shop price, it looks cooler with worn and discolored look, it is second hand on eBay, and had been used by a professional tarot reader who passed away (must have some more psychic power in the cards?)....etc.

And I just seem to be interested in searching for more of these DECKS. Practically, it does not seem to serve any purpose owning the multiple same DECK for me, because I am not a collector as such, I am not intending to be one in the future, and I only seem to use 2 or 3 at the same time - carrying them in my bag.

And I don't seem to be looking at the ones that I am not interested at all - I mean the ones which are not in the category of the traditional or classic decks, just simply because I am not into these new designs in decks.

Have you had similar tendencies some time of your Tarot years or even now? Why are you doing it, or why aren't you?

cheers
TS.

Abrac

That's ok, I'm not a collector either nor do I ever plan on becoming one. ;)

Seriously though, there are some decks I like more than others and I have more of them. If I was independently wealthy and money was no concern I would probably buy every one I saw, but at least for right now I don't have to worry about that.

I go through phases where I become more focused on one deck or one theme, but then it usually passes. I'm learning how to put the brakes on during those times because like I said, it's usually just a phase that passes and then when it's all said and done I look back and think boy, I could sure use that cash I spent on those Tarot decks that are just sitting there in the box.

Speaking for myself, collecting Tarots has been a learning experience where I have learned a lot about myself, my tastes, my true goals, and passing fancies. I'm getting to know a lot better what I truly want to invest in and what would be better simply left alone.

Miren

Well. I've been working on taming impulsive aquisitiveness, but I can answer the question hypothetically.

If I had more money and if I weren't specifically working on limiting acquisitions, I would probably do the same thing. I sometimes like to have different copies of the same book (something I'm also working on) because, say, one is smaller and more portable but one is better quality. Or maybe the paper just feels so good on one edition that even though I own a cheap copy I'd want it.

With decks, I sometimes want to buy multiple copies (even of ones I don't have), so I'd have backups, so I could put cards I like on display but still have a workable deck, because I might lose one, because I like to have pretty things.

So that's the aquisitive side of me talking. The other side says "I'm happy with what I have because they're nice and I don't need doubles. Don't. Stop checking prices. Bad! *smacks hand* Ahem. Sorry. Ok, I'm still working on this. ;) "

I think what you do makes sense. And it would be cool to go through your collection with you, I think. :)

wytchwood

I have 2 golden Dawn decks, A Rider Deluxe, a Radiant Waite, and a Universal Waite, I have a pocket Thoth, a standard Thoth in Spanish, a large Thoth and a US Games Large Thoth, so I know what you mean. I do have other decks as well though.

I started off with the Rider Deluxe (this time round anyway) and the US Games Thoth. I decided the outlining is very scribbly in my Rider Deluxe, so thought I'de try the Universal which was too girly so I went for the Radiant.

The US Games thoth, as you may know, has a greenish tinge to the cards, and I preferred the darker, more intense colouring of the AGMuller version. I then ordered the standard size and the pocket, thinking that the standard would be the same size as the ones I was replacing, and the smaller ones would be easier to handle. In fact, the pocket was tiny and the standard a lot smaller than the US Games. So, I then ordered the large AG Muller, for meditation use!! lol

Plus, I have the Liber T deck which is another Thoth really.

No more though, not of these decks!! As for the 2x Golden Dawn, I'm afraid to say it was a bargain I couldn't resist- I saw it on Ebay in a set with a book I wanted for the right price so I thought I'd get it and maybe trade the deck.

You're not alone, it's a syndrome!!

Thought I might add, that the last few decks I have bought have been completely different- the Buddha, the Classic, the Pythagorean and the DruidCraft, so I think I'm cured! I'm gonna do the One Deck Wonder experiment to cure all this insanity, I'm just waiting for the last two decks to arrive in the post so I can do it properly. I want to only look at one deck for the duration of the experiment, and I won't be able to not look at any new decks that arrive now will I?

Zoe

Emily

I don't go out of my way to get multiple copies of decks but somehow have managed to end up with :-

2 Copies of the Tarot of the Old Path
2 Copies of Tarot of Northern Shadows
5 Copies of Thoth - but all different :)
Various colourations and sizes of the RWS - Original, Standard, Universal, Radiant, Giant, Mini, pocket.
2 Copies of the Tarot of Prague. :)

HearthCricket

I have a couple copies of my favourite, most used decks, simply because I know they will eventually go out of print and be far too expensive to replace. This way I feel like I have a bit of insurance that when they do go OOP I will already have my backup in case I accidently destroy the one I am using. I am pretty careful with my decks, but afterall, they are only cardboard and won't last forever. I guess I figure by the time I have used my doubles up I will be old and not interested in tarot, but too busy trying to find my glasses (assuming I will eventually need them) and move my old body around! :D

VGimlet

I have a few multiple copies of decks. Different reasons for each, really.

Three versions of the Thoth (big green, large AG Muller, standard), I got the green deck before I knew there were different versions. I got the standard deck as a reading deck, and the larger AG Muller as a study deck, since the artwork is awfully tiny on the standard.

Two versions of the Rock & Roll - I planned on using the 2nd edition as my reading deck.

8 different RWS if you count the New Vision. I mean Universal, Radient, mini Universal, etc. Lots more if you count clones.

Two different versions of the Aquarian - my old deck with the solid blue back, and the newer version with black and white. I am actually looking for another copy of the blue-backed vintage deck. Just because.

I plan on getting an extra copy of the Gilded, because it's my reading deck, and I want an extra copy - both because mine is getting a bit trashed by being in my backpack all the time, and just in case.

Alta

I have a few duplicates, though relatively few. I also bought duplicates of decks that I just love and can't bear the thought of ever being without. At one point I had 7 copies of the Prague though have gradually given away or traded most because even I realized that was, um?, excessive? (just plain OTT??).

teomat

tarotspeaks said:
My reasons for getting the decks I already own would be such as, well because it is older, it is different design on the backs, it has been printed in different country, it is cheaper than the shop price, it looks cooler with worn and discolored look, it is second hand on eBay, and had been used by a professional tarot reader who passed away (must have some more psychic power in the cards?)....etc.
This might sound odd, but do you actually LIKE these decks? And, more importantly, are they working for you?

Are you having problems with reading them, and do you think that getting a different version will help?

caridwen

Marion said:
I have a few duplicates, though relatively few. I also bought duplicates of decks that I just love and can't bear the thought of ever being without. At one point I had 7 copies of the Prague though have gradually given away or traded most because even I realized that was, um?, excessive? (just plain OTT??).

7 copies of the Prague!!:p

I dont' love any one deck that much - what does that say about me???:confused: