Have You Made Your Own Oracle?

yaraluna

Chronata said:
I have made a couple of oracles...crowstones, dreamstones...as well as several just straight lithomancy sets. I have been working on card sets too!

!

Chronata

where can i see pics of the crowstones?

ETA: never mind. i found them. :p

yara

levannah60

Update:

Well,

About a year or so ago, I posted a message that said I was creating my own Oracle Deck based on my stories and writings...I had started with 13 cards....well, Brace yourself my friends....I've about 133 Now. WOW! And more comming. Needless to say, This oracle has outgrown the little envolope I used to use. In addition to this ever growing Oracle Deck, I created a regular 52 card deck based on regular playing cards, only with four diffrent suits. Maybe one day I will get the courage to post these cards up, but for now, they are my little babies....My personal and private little decks...and help me a lot when I have writer's block. Has anyone else created an Oracle Deck that just keeps growing and growing?

dinah1

This is a fascinating post, glad I found it - you must post your cards up levannah60, we'd love to see them.

I've created an oracle deck called WiseCards which consists of 41 cards comprising of some of my paintings, and then some computer generated images. I'm not going to let this deck grow anymore as it feels right ~ but I shall probably make paintings of the cards created on the computer.

http://www.giveitagoguide.co.uk/wisecards/wisecards.html

I didn't set out to make a card deck, but people kept asking and commenting on the meanings behind the paintings. Then I realised that I tend to 'get a painting' when something's bothering me and that people could 'read' them. Hence the WiseCards were born.

I know there are lots of painters on this site - perhaps you too can make decks from your paintings, if you haven't already? It's really worth going back through your work. Would love to here about anyone doing this...

Phoenix Rising

firstly to all those who have created their own decks, very inspirational, and to those who have also published them, great effort.

I have been thinking lately of creating my own oracle deck, the tea leaf fortune cards sort of inspired me to do it, as I like the little messages and the different courts dark man etc, then there's no second guessing and a physical description. Having messages that can cover everything. Not much guess work involved. I'm too impatient to have to stop and think what the cards can mean.

I did create a simple one a few years ago, simple images taken from clip art, unfortuately I lost alot of the cards, I think there were 95 cards altogether. There was no structure to it. There were images like "doctor" "policeman" "pregnancy" "hospital" "bank" "school" "stranger" "friend" "foe" etc.

I did a reading for a friend with them, it came up with "friend, pregnancy" the funny thing it was me!!! Another one was "home, law, harvest, lover"" the police had raided my friends house cause her partner had been secretly growing pot under the house" she was blown away by that.

So I think if one creates the right oracle for them with all that you require then you can have amazingly accurate readings.

Cerulean

Has anyone else created an Oracle Deck that just keeps growing and growing?

Congrads on the 133-Plus Oracles!

....I did start an appreciation to the Ukiyo-e Tarot that added poems and color studies...I took it all apart when I made the 100 Poets series oracle book so everything was re-assembled and additions were made once I did the 100 Poets
book. While I have some bits and pieces, the main study is done and I'm content to let it be a scrapbook that compiles much of the small bits.

My slow-growing project started as a 30-card tribute to Yeat's: A Vision and is expanding into photographic studies that will likely go into 60 cards...a match for a poetic segment and then a modern moody inspiration card. That is satisfying my old old longing to have beautiful moon cards and phases collected and illustrated together...I can just see others doing moon capturing for themselves...mine is organized on Yeats metaphors. I've some Japanese moon images leftover from my 100 Poets project by Yoshi-toshi, but am not certain if they will blend in with this project or just be an East-West moon phase tribute.

I'm doing something a little faster and close to my heart...I'm developing my
understanding of John Keats and his lifetime of poetry--a short life, but his work was inspiring to a lot of Pre-Raphaelites and others. My even-slower realization this Spring on my disappointment with all the Pre-Raphaelite images is there wasn't a tribute to John Keats organized and yet many famous painters or poetic illustrators were inspired by him...I'm organizing for myself such images and others related to his themes and seeing what comes of this.

Maybe these will all merge together in time. Right now, I'm just glad to have divided some of my image-collection and inspired sketches into subject categories!

Thanks for the creative chat,

Cerulean

fina

I'm working on an oracle deck as a gift for my brother. We both love the same series of books, and think the mythology of the series would translate very well into an oracle. And maybe I'm doing it for myself too, maybe ;)

I've done the rough outline of the meanings for about 40 cards now, and have to figure out how I'm going to do the art as I am no artists... It will just be for my use, but it would be pretty cool to pitch the idea to the author when I'm done and see what she thinks of the idea...

FaireMaiden

Pumpkin said:
Have you made your own oracle?
No... but I have made my own scrying mirror and scrying medicine bowl, *vbs*

Glass Owl

Has anyone made an oracle based on the Stephenie Meyer Twilight books?

Cat*

Depeche Mode oracle

I made a Depeche Mode oracle for a friend a while back.

First, I read through a ton of Depeche Mode lyrics (found on a fan page on the internet) and copied 90 short passages (from one word to four lines in length, I believe) that seemed to be diverse and interesting enough to serve as oracle answers. I was most fascinated by how "fresh" even some very well-known lines seemed when they were taken out of their original context.

Second, I put all the quotes into Word (in tables that each covered a complete page without margins). Then I simply selected a nice font, printed the whole thing out and had it copied onto thick paper at a copy shop (because my inkjet printer doesn't provide halfway water-resistant writing).

After that, I cut out all the cards with the paper cutter in the copy shop (note: expect a little imperfection in card sizing) so that I ended up with a nice stack of cards in a very reduced design: black writing on white unlaminated cards.

Finally, I made her a custom-sized box to go with the oracle. Ta-dah! A much appreciated birthday present for a spiritually inclined Depeche Mode lover with a liking of very simple design. :)

The Depeche Mode oracle lives on her kitchen window sill now and she says she uses it often to just pull a single card. It apparently answers her questions. I only had the chance to do a one-card reading for myself before I gave it to her (I needed to make sure it worked, right? ;)) but hope that we'll get around to try doing a spread with the oracle when I'm at her place sometime soon.

Of course, this is nothing sale-able due to copyright matters. But I still find an oracle made of someone favorite texts/lyrics a unique gift idea for word-oriented people. Therefore, other custom-made text-only oracles are already in their planning stages (among others, I was thinking about a Harry Potter one but haven't checked the books yet to see if there are useful snippets of text in there)... :D

blackroseivy

I have plans for a specific set of public-domain children's-book illos. I am REALLY looking forward to it, I have a full set of these books at my parents' & I have been meticulously choosing which pix to use! :D

The meanings are going to harmonize with the stories that the illustrations depict. I will include a little synopsis in my own words of what the story is about, & go from there.

I want the box to look JUST like one of the books, all antiquey & old - it will be VERY kewl! :D

Oh - & I intend to self-publish, if I can't get a publisher for it...