HELP!!!! I'm already developing an addiction!!!

felinefriend

Okay, so I have had to resort to extreme will power not to buy a bohemian baroque cat deck today.

I already have 1 mini and 2 standard sized decks coming in addition to my mini Universal.

HELP! My name is catty and I am a tarot addict.

WAHH!

franniee

Oh gosh! I am in no position to offer any help! NONE! but there is a de enabling thread... check it out.... however word to the wise.... i do go there sometimes to shop for new decks to buy. })

raventepes

This forum is scientifically proven to be bad for your bank account :D })

autumnsdaughter

Yeah, it's pretty much a hopeless descent into addiction from here on out.

Avoid the deck threads. All of them.

lilangel09

LOL you guys are so bad! :p

Essentially addictions are indulging, re-indulging, and re-indulging. Snap out of it!

But really, some of the people in the de-enabling thread have said some really good things about DECK ACQUISITION FEVER. You don't think you're really going to read with all of them at once, are you?

Funny who this is coming from (sorry!) but it did really hit home.
gregory said:
OK this one is easy.

You clearly have a fever. No-one can really want all these decks at the same time; genuine want requires devotion to a deck, lust for it etc. How can you lust after that many at once ? You can't possibly keep them all in your mind at the same time.

It smacks of overindulgence, and soon you will have a nice mental vomit and it will all Go Away. So don't waste your money, or when they arrive you will realise you didn't mean it and you won't be able to buy chocolate for a month.
})

There are times where I put of buying a deck so long I end up wanting 5 at once. Then after awhile, the want dwindles away and comes back later, with fewer decks or different decks. I have a wishlist, but I haven't felt the need to purchase any new decks yet. PACE YOURSELF. SAY IT WITH ME:

"I, ___, will not resort to splurging on decks, especially when I do not have the financial means, and will pace myself to _ decks per year."

The second blank cannot be a value more than 100.

And do trade...

Faolainn Storm

I know how you feel. I was already a pretty bad tarot addict before I came here, but the longer I am here, the longer my wishlist gets! :D I have had to put myself on a tarot diet: one deck/book a month! Already bought March's one deck and it's still February!!! :D
And to make it worse, I'm trying to thin down my collection a little, and just when I think I've confimed a deck for the storage box (OCD me can't actually get rid of them, but I do want to put some away) I find someone here raving about how great the deck is, and it's all I can do not to go racing off to find it and give it another go. *GRRR* :mad: So my storge list gets shorter, my 'question mark' list (those I'm not sure of), my 'love it' list and my wishlist all get longer. I'm going BACKWARDS *wail* :eek:
I need help too. Why is there no Tarotholics Anonymous! It seems like many of us here need a group where we can support each other though the withdrawal symptoms of no tarot buying.

"Yesterday, I went into a bookshop and secretly opened a box, just to inhale that 'new deck' smell..." :bugeyed:

Well I wish you all the best with your addiction. Unfortunately there is no cure, so you might as well just give in and join all the rest of us addicts ad we buy, lament and celebrate. :grin: And focus on the fact that you are supporting a wonderful industry and some really great artists! :D

Faolainn Storm

ETA: It just occurred to me that I do have one advantage. For some reason that they won't explain to me *evil look*, paypal has decided my credit card is 'persona non grata'. So, if I want to order over the internet, I have to ask my mother to borrow her card, which she won't do unless I present the cash up front (fair enough). So I have to buy most of my decks in person, in cash! A great discouragement for overspending!

Faolainn Storm

lilangel09 said:
PACE YOURSELF. SAY IT WITH ME:

"I, ___, will not resort to splurging on decks, especially when I do not have the financial means, and will pace myself to __ decks per year."

The second blank cannot be a value more than 100.

Less than 100 a year!!!! Is that physically possible???
I mean really, not splurging on decks you don't have to have is one thing, but not buying something you just *have* to have is completely different.
You're talking here to someone who once went out looking for one deck and came home with six tarots and three oracles! Including the one I set out for and one that had been on my wishlist for nearly ten years.
But to limit oneself to less than 100 a year seems like cruel and unusual punishment to me! :D

Faolainn Storm

Open Arms

I went for three months without buying anything...I was good wasn't I??

Bought four decks this week!!

Oh well....

6 Haunted Days

Before AT I was a sort-of collector....I'd go through phases. But the most I'd buy in a month would be like 3! Now it can be much more than that.

It's the threads, the raves and images....it feeds a part of us and we want more more more. It gets addicting to want to go through that process....

Looking at images, reading the threads about a deck
Buying it and then waiting, checking email and checking the tracking number obsessively.
That delicious anticipation....checking your box etc...
Then the wonderful moment when you have a package and can slowly open it....smelling the new deck, slowly drinking in the images and thoughts as you look at each card...

Then if you really connect with the deck....the joys and sheer happiness of deepening a bond and relationship with that deck!

Yep AT contributes greatly to all this.....or we kinda feed one another's "need".

6 Haunted Days

Faolainn Storm said:
Less than 100 a year!!!! Is that physically possible???
I mean really, not splurging on decks you don't have to have is one thing, but not buying something you just *have* to have is completely different.
You're talking here to someone who once went out looking for one deck and came home with six tarots and three oracles! Including the one I set out for and one that had been on my wishlist for nearly ten years.
But to limit oneself to less than 100 a year seems like cruel and unusual punishment to me! :D

Faolainn Storm

It's actually quite a bit....a 100 a year....that's close to 10 decks a month! Do you really buy 10 decks a month? And see yourself doing this for years?