HELP!!!! I'm already developing an addiction!!!

raventepes

Faolainn Storm said:
I need help too. Why is there no Tarotholics Anonymous! It seems like many of us here need a group where we can support each other though the withdrawal symptoms of no tarot buying.

We here at AT ARE Tarotholics Anonymous

Faolainn Storm

6 Haunted Days said:
It's actually quite a bit....a 100 a year....that's close to 10 decks a month! Do you really buy 10 decks a month? And see yourself doing this for years?

If only! I currently live on a pension, and am lucky if after the bills and food I've got enough to see a movie! And that's only because I don't have to run a car - don't drive, don't want to.
I have to save up for several weeks to buy a new deck. Which does have one advantage - I get enough time between wanting and buying to seriously reconsider each purchase, and therefore I tend to only buy what I really want.
But of I did have the money I probably would be buying multiple decks per month. At least until I had everything currently available, and then my buying rate would be forced to drop to the rate of publishing - 20 or so a year! :D

Faolainn Storm

Faolainn Storm

raventepes said:
We here at AT ARE Tarotholics Anonymous
Yes but you are not helping me when it comes to buying new decks. Everytime someone raves about a deck I get serious urges to BUY, BUY, BUY! :D

Faolainn Storm

felinefriend

I think I will wait for the BBC deck as a birthday gift to myself. It's just that people love that deck and oh my! It is gorgeous.

I'm really looking forward to my White Cat Deck. That's the one I'm planning to really bond with...

The mini size is perfect for my bitty hands, I may sell the regular size deck if they end up too big.

Alta

I can de-enable you on the BB Cats.... you said you have tiny hands and the deck is larger than average.

SolSionnach

Faolainn Storm said:
Yes but you are not helping me when it comes to buying new decks. Everytime someone raves about a deck I get serious urges to BUY, BUY, BUY! :D

Faolainn Storm

Faolainn,
I've noticed that when I buy a deck because I'm caught up in other folks' raving about it, I'm invariably disappointed. We all have different tastes, etc.

An example is the Deviant Moon Tarot - It does look interesting and quirky, but if I sit down and remember to breathe (lol), I notice that it does *not* do it for me. Same with ANY of those sickly saccharine sweet Doreen Virtue oracles, or that gawd-awful Kris Waldherr "Goddess" tarot. I bought that last one when it first came out, and couldn't get rid of it fast enough!

So here are some tips:
1) remember to breathe
2) remember you need to eat!
3) remember that if you still want it in a month or two, then it's something that you might enjoy.

I put stuff in my Amazon shopping cart, and leave them there for **months**, and often take them out and don't buy them, because I really wasn't that interested in them.

You don't need every deck right now. Even if it's going OOP, they are usually in big printing runs, and will be around for several months. Heck, folks are *still* finding the odd shrinkwrapped Greenwood in out of the way shops and places!

That being said, I hear ya. I've bought and gotten rid of almost 100 decks... and I lost money on almost all of them. And my collection is around 100 decks, and I've gotten to the point that there are very few decks that are new to me, that interest me.

{{hugs}}

Quester

Well I quit smoking and thought to myself...I will never become addicted to anything ever again...that is what I said...and I meant it at the time...
I found myself starting out gradually...a deck here...another there...not that many to start with, but before I knew what was happening I found myself buying more and more just for the thrill of opening that box and feeling the connection that some of the decks give. So here I sit in a little room surrounded by shelves and more shelves of decks that I couldn't say no to.
I now know that I am addicted to tarot! I am so glad tha I am not alone!

mosaica

I'm addicted to the tarot AND to AT! I spend way too much time here every day, reading posts, looking for new decks to add to my wishlist, watching the trading thread. It's really bad, and I keep waiting for my family to ban me from the computer. :)

mysticmonkey

lilangel09 said:
But really, some of the people in the de-enabling thread have said some really good things about DECK ACQUISITION FEVER. You don't think you're really going to read with all of them at once, are you?
Gregory said:
OK this one is easy.

You clearly have a fever. No-one can really want all these decks at the same time; genuine want requires devotion to a deck, lust for it etc. How can you lust after that many at once ? You can't possibly keep them all in your mind at the same time.

It smacks of overindulgence, and soon you will have a nice mental vomit and it will all Go Away. So don't waste your money, or when they arrive you will realise you didn't mean it and you won't be able to buy chocolate for a month.
Ah that Gregory lass is a wise one.

felinefriend: My advice is if any more decks catch your eye put them in your profile wish list and wait. Enjoy the decks you have or you'll swamp yourself with too much information at the start.
Then later if you feel you want to add to your collection look at the list again and see if you still feel the same about the decks on there. I've had a couple of decks that I went off of once the fever calmed down.

Oh and keep out of the tarot deck sub-forum. It's hazardous to your health. :p

Sulis

felinefriend said:
Okay, so I have had to resort to extreme will power not to buy a bohemian baroque cat deck today.

I already have 1 mini and 2 standard sized decks coming in addition to my mini Universal.

HELP! My name is catty and I am a tarot addict.

WAHH!

Remember that more decks will not make you a better reader. If you're just starting out it may be best to get to know the decks you do have before you go on deck buying spree.
When you first start you don't know what types of decks you'll be able to read with either so it may be better if you learned how to read first then you'll know your preferences better.