Hold On - You asked the cards WHAT?!

Sophie

memries said:
Are you sure it is not the Page of Cups that means you should have fish for dinner ?
Ah, but I used a Marseille deck :D Page of Cups might have meant - eat a young tender animal (maybe veal - which was also on the menu). See?

Jewel-ry

Even has a plate!!

Moonleap

Rogan:

We are all at different levels in life, not just Tarot. Whatever gets you through the night is alright.

Sophie

Moonleap said:
We are all at different levels in life, not just Tarot. Whatever gets you through the night is alright.
Hey, I have to make it to suppertime - let alone through the night! (this is a very boring day).

Alta

Two comments.
One, a seemingly trivial question can open the door to some very serious answers. "Should I dye my hair?" leading the reading to open up to huge gaping issues in a marriage going very wrong.
Two: tarot addiction does not come from trivial questions, it comes from fixations. Picking that emotional scab again and again.

floracove

Marion said:
tarot addiction does not come from trivial questions, it comes from fixations. Picking that emotional scab again and again.
For real!
Why keep torturing yourself, when the answer just keeps on coming, or just responds by giving you more info, you either do not understand, or do not want to hear?

Just because, you may not want, the answer given, even though you asked, it's answered you, and eventually, gets tired of trying, to help you see, then throws kinks in the works that frustrate you, because your not getting the answer you may have hoped to receive.

tarotbear

I hold Tarot and Tarot card reading in the highest respect - in fact, in the final chapter of my book I discuss why - including the fact that I always capitalize the 'T' in Tarot - out of respect for my cards, my practice, and what I do.

This is not to say that 6 acolytes have to burn incense, wear hooded robes when they appraoch the Tarot table, speak only in Latin, and have not had sex for seven years before they can ask for a reading.

Your car is also a tool; is driving to the movies more noble than driving to the convenience store? Your kitchen stove is a tool; is making a large dinner more noble than frying an egg? Are you saying that unless it invloves a question of earth-shattering importance (in who's eyes, I might add) that merely asking a question about the status quo has no business being asked?

I understand the basis of your question - why not take some responsibilty for the more trivial aspects of your life rather than burden your Tarot deck with such questions as 'What color should I dye my hair? Should I get a belly-button piercing? or What flavor condoms should I buy?'

I may agree that we have or do sometimes trivialize our cards - but they are such a part of us that grabbing your cards can be the natural extension of your arm - for some of us. But if you only read because you have an earth-shattering question to ask - then you'd probably only do one reading every 2-3 years.

firemaiden

The question, was rephrased - are we too dependent on tarot? (as evidenced by all kinds of questions)....

This is something I have often wondered, if people get too dependent on tarot or on divination - I got worried when a shopkeeper said to me - she must read her cards every single day, she needs to know what is going to happen.

I would prefer to use the cards in the opposite way - not to see what "fate" holds in store for me but to lay out what I intend to create.

I think it would be going over board to make a major life decision based merely on what the cards say, unless you happen to be so severely psychic that you really do KNOW, (but if a person is that psychic s/he probably doesn't need cards to tell him/her what s/he need to know either) however it can help to use them to think things through.

tarotbear

When I was working my butt off I did a daily reading; one would think the unemployed have all the time in the world, but since I am out of a routine I now ask a seven-day spread for the following week on a Saturday.

Was I obsessive/compulsive to ask my cards every day what the day held in store? No - not at all. I was in a stressful environment (not that being unemployed for 11 weeks is NOT stressful!) and needed an 'edge' to stay ahead of the pack. My daily reading helped me face some difficult times with courage and fortitude. Did I get answers to the great mysteries of life? No - but I got through the day and that is all I was asking for. If I owned a small business or had two support two children on one salary - I'd use my cards every day, too!

But the underlying question now surfacing is 'are we dependent on our cards?' {Or are others dependent on our reading the cards for them?}. Many people hate using the word 'addiction,' but are you askling 'have we become addicted to our cards so that we have lost the ability to have a single thought that is not our own?' We should better ask if we, as readers have become the 'enablers' here.

Time to go heat up a can a soup for lunch! I can make a decision when I get to the storage shelves and see what's there - no need to bother my cards for that! LOL! :smoker: