*Hoo*boy - yet another "head-butt-w/-ignorance" story...

blackroseivy

Actually, more like :rolleyes:

So I'm doing my very 1st real craft show. :p NOT very profitable for what I enjoy calling "real art", if you know what I mean. I'm still $47 in the hole.

But that isn't what I'm here to talk about. ;)

It was a weekend thing - yesterday, the space across from mine next to the outside door was empty; today, there was a booth set up w/all KINDS of lovely lovely Swarovski beading! ("OOOO SPARKLIES!!" :D I thought...)

The lady & I got talking; she was very nice, older than me by quite some years, & full of friendly advice, which I don't mind at all. She even thought my work was lovely; we bartered, me 3 mini painting-brooches ('40's vintage findings sold as dollhouse frames, but they came & had pin-backs!) for 2 beautiful (& more highly-priced) Swarovski & silver earrings.

Well.

At the very end when I was packing to leave, the lady came over & handed me 1 more thing: a fairy w/another Swarovski dangle, gave me a half-hug & was saying something - I forget what exactly - but she finished by saying, "Oh you'll wish I knew lottery #'s" - or something to that effect - & I responded by casually saying, "Oh I read Tarot cards..."

MISTAKE! :rolleyes:

She immediately drew away, looked at me over her glasses, shook her head & said, slowly, "Step awaaaaaaaaay from the Tarot cards!!" (yes I'm serious) & went on in such a vein a bit. She ended by saying something like, "If you have a lot of doo-doo in your life that keeps happening - " at which point I interrupted her: "As a matter of fact I DID have doo-doo [her actual words, btw] in my life, & it's pretty much going away now." Which is so far true, that if it hadn't been, I wouldn't have been standing there talking to her. Told her I'd been studying them since I was 12, am developing my own decks...

She just shook her head slowly & faux-wisely.

I turned away, shaking MY head slightly, & secretly rolling my eyes. Dismissive enough to end the conversation - but we ended on a friendly note.

Being somewhat enlightened, I knew better than to argue, or to say ANYTHING past that point. Except: "Tarot ain't never bit ME!" :p

She was on about something - "There are gaming cards, all KINDS of cards - but NOT Tarot cards!!" (emphasis hers) Like my friend Aileen said afterward, "Oh YEAH, they're all ok - but Tarot cards AREN'T?!"

I even know that the entire silly superstition regarding this poor little stack of very old pictures undoubtedly stems in the main from the early Papal attempts to have them banned - because of their use for GAMBLING, a VERY great Medieval sin...

I put the crystal in sunlight in an attempt to cleanse them of "ignorance vibes."

All I can add to this story is: Why? Why? Why? :rolleyes: (again)

nisaba

<smile> If you're wporking a stall near her again, don't raise Tarot yourself but if she does (and she will), tell her a great line I saw someone else here use a day or two ago: "They're only pieces of cardboard with printer's ink in them - cardboard and ink has never harmed anyone yet."

rwcarter

bri,

I think you handled yourself very well.

And since you ostensibly handled the crystals that had the "ignorance vibes" on them, did you put yourself in the sunlight or at least take a shower to make sure those vibes didn't rub off on you? :laugh:

Rodney

blackroseivy

I'm hoping that my in-born aura will protect me against that!! :p

nisaba

<grin> The crystals were given to you in goodwill anyway, ebfore any of the conversation turned unpleasant. Just enjoy that goodwill.

blackroseivy

Eh, you are right - & as I say, perfectly nice, just kinda iggerant. ;)

Briar Rose

I am so sorry this happened to you! :heart: My dearest wishes to you.

I am thinking that maybe testing the waters like mentioning Harry Potter, or a movie like Stardust, or mentioning that there were these cards in the movie before we just lift up our veil!

But then you were being spontaneous. Shame on her for making such a big deal out it.

Are those Swarovski lead free, or do that have lead in them?

Mateo06

You would think these types of people would realize their favorite poker deck is derived from a tarot deck? That if one is evil, then in turn both should be evil.
I wouldn't be able to hold my tongue as well as you did...

blackroseivy

Briar Rose said:
Are those Swarovski lead free, or do that have lead in them?

Glass crystal always has lead in it - that's what makes it crystal, as opposed to plain glass. ;)

Thanx everyone, it's nice to know that I am so supported here! :D

blackroseivy

Mateo06 said:
You would think these types of people would realize their favorite poker deck is derived from a tarot deck? That if one is evil, then in turn both should be evil.
I wouldn't be able to hold my tongue as well as you did...

Oh, & a POKER deck really IS used for gambling - tut tut!! :eek: