Hotei - Patron of Fortune Tellers

Shade

So there I was, browsing through Judika Illes' Element Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells (an indispensable spellbook). I was flipping through the prosperity section when I noticed a mention of Hotei (the laughing full-figured man a lot of my fellow Americans mistakenly think of as the actual Buddha) being the patron saint of fortune tellers. That piqued my interest and I decided to do a bit of googling to see if this was a widely held belief about the charming little guy.

And lo and behold I found quite a few references to him as a patron of fortune tellers as well as restaurant owners, bartenders, politicians, the weak, and children. That's pretty good company as I like everyone on that list with the exception of politicians and children.

I admit I have seen a lot of fortune tellers with the Laughing Buddha on their table but in my leftist, judgey nature I always assumed they were just putting him out because he seemed lucky and anything Eastern is seen as wise and mystical in the US. Mea culpa, mea culpa, I shouldn't be so quick to judge.

I found one reference online to him actually being a fortune teller, per the book The Seven Lucky Gods of Japan by Reiko Chiba: "According to legend, Hotei is also a fortuneteller whose predictions always come true. The only catch is that he will not tell the future to any person who does not sincerely affirm a desire to know the complete truth (Chiba 21). Sometimes, they may end up regretting their excessive curiosity."

My kind of guy. I'll probably seek out a Hotei figurine. I have seen them depicting him holding a number of different objects so I did a little bit of digging to see what the different added symbols mean (though I imagine there are many on this forum who could correct me about these particulars and I invite that wholeheartedly).

Begging Bowl: many monks must live off of what is given to them, a Hotei holding the begging bowl above his head is open to receiving abundance from the heavens.

Fan: Hotei's fan was said to grant wishes, symbolizes happiness

Cloth Sack: Hotei's name means "cloth sack" he is shown as a wanderer with his bag, I have read in places that it contains the sadness of the world he has collected (!!!) or unending wealth.

Ball: the pearl of wisdom (the greatest treasure) or a peach (health, prosperity)

Parasol: deflects misfortune

Last note: I hope I haven't offended anyone who practices Buddhism, Shintoism, or any other spirituality for whom Hotei is sacred. I was delighted by reference to him being a patron of fortune tellers.

Very last note: Catholics also happen to have a patron saint of fortune tellers: Saint Agabus who was a prophet and foretold the imprisonment of Paul.

FLizarraga

Great post! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

One note, though: although Hotei is definitely not Gautama Buddha, he is considered a Buddha in China and Japan.

I didn't know anything about him being the patron of fortune tellers, though. That's REALLY cool. Curiously enough, I have a little Hotei on my desk, practically presiding over all my readings... :bugeyed:

celticnoodle

Thank you, Shade, for this information. Especially on the Catholic Saint, as I am a Catholic, and now if any of those Catholics tell me how I'm going to go to hell for what I do, I'll tell them I am being protected by both of these saints! :laugh: But, I'll especially throw the Catholic Saint, St. Agabus' name around.

I've GOT to find a pic or a medal of St. Agabus, now. :D

ah! found one and some information on him online here: http://www.shamagika.com/blog/st-agabus-patron-saint-of-fortune-tellers-feb-13th.

I'll be printing out that pic of him soon. Love it!

Thanks again. :)

Babalon Jones

I never knew that about Hotei! Oddly, I have two statues of him, that are treasured possessions. My brother made them by pouring beeswax from his hives into a mold, after melting the wax on his wood stove. Since the wax was old, they have a nice golden brown color. And they smell good!

One lives in my house, in the knowledge area according to Feng Shui, now that I think about it, though that wasn't consciously intended. The other is above my desk at work looking down at me.

Mine carry the sack and a fan in the other hand. Cool to know the connection!

celticnoodle

very cool, Babalon Jones. :)

apparently Hotei knew exactly where he was to be placed and must have sent you the ideas. ;) May he bring you continued blessings!

Padma

Ha. I have one made of rose quartz on my dining room table, where I normally draw my cards. Never knew his fortune teller associations! Thanks for letting us know, Shade!

(Nice to know about St Agabus, too!)

Babalon, your beeswax hoteis sound beautiful.

Attachments

• rose quartz (640x640).jpg
    rose quartz (640x640).jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 370

Disa

Thanks for posting all of this.

I have that book, too. I vaguely recall seeing this information, but I didn't look into it at the time.

Interestingly enough I have 6 of these tiny Hotei statues. 3 in my living room in a curio cabinet under my scrying mirror and hour glass. The other 3 my daughter has in her room. I found them at an "antique" market for 50 cents each. On the bottom they wrote "buddha".
I had no idea about Hotei being the patron of fortune tellers.

Interesting info on the Catholic Saint, too. TY for that link CN... A have a friend who may take great comfort in this info :)

Shade

Thank you, Shade, for this information. Especially on the Catholic Saint, as I am a Catholic, and now if any of those Catholics tell me how I'm going to go to hell for what I do, I'll tell them I am being protected by both of these saints! :laugh: But, I'll especially throw the Catholic Saint, St. Agabus' name around.

I really should have said a bit more about Agabus! I looked again at the Element Encyclopedia and this is what Judika recommends: on his feast day (regular one was Feb 13 but Eastern one is March 8 so you are just in time) place your divination tool next to him, burn purple and white candles, and ask for his blessings on you as a diviner. His traditional prayer is:

"Glorious St Agabus, prophet and disciple, do not let my faith be weakened by my fears of what the future will hold. Amen."

Then I would say have an especially nice dinner and raise a toast to him, but I'm a pagan not a Catholic so you may want to get someone else's advice on that last part ;-)

When I began investigating Hoodoo I used to associate St Clare (Santa Clara) with divination. I think it's because I wanted a lovely female saint I could light novena candles for and she was said to have been too ill to attend Mass and was blessed with the ability to see it before her eyes remotely. This by the way is why she is the patron saint of television. I also imagine St Brigid would be kind to us - but again I'm a pagan who associates her with the goddess Brighid.

FLizarraga

I found them at an "antique" market for 50 cents each. On the bottom they wrote "buddha".

In some Buddhists traditions, Hotei is an incarnation of the Buddha Maitreya, the so-called "Buddha of the Future." (Contrary to popular belief, there are an awful lot of Buddhas, or "enlightened ones" in Buddhism, not just one.)

So a lot of Hotei statuettes are marked as "Buddha" or "Maitreya." He is never supposed to represent Shakyamuni, known as the "historical Buddha," whose first images, amazingly enough, were made by Greek artists.......:bugeyed:

As a Buddhist and someone interested in Oriental cultures, I was aware of this, but I had NO CLUE whatsoever about the divination part.

And no, Shade, it's hard to offend a Buddhist, unless you call them names or punch them... ;)

Grizabella

Wow, I didn't know this! I've loved Hotei figurines for years and years and at one time had quite a big collection of them! I still have several. Imagine that! I'm going to check out what they're holding and see if I have one of each but I don't think I do. I'm going to have to do a little more collecting of them.

I have a very big Hotei who has children climbing all over him. He sits on my big Victorian era porcelain elephant.

Thank you for posting this! No wonder I was drawn to Hotei!