How do you close your readings?

magpie9

I ask if we are done now, and if there's anything else they want to know.

Raindance

I think magpie9's method is good!

Kissa

Reading at home by myself

I haven't read the rest of the messages so this might be redundant, apologies.

When I read with the very talkative and friendly Anna K, I end my reading with an extra card that I call the "off the record" card.
I am the reporter, Anna K is the star I just interviewed and now that I have switched off my recording device, I am gathering my stuff, notes, empty coffee mug, we chit chat "off the record". Anna K has always something fun to say. Humourous, light-hearted advice, before I leave... Or some kind of extra info about one of the official cards of the spread.

ETA: then I actually just gather my stuff slowly and let the cards message sink deeper. I don't like to rush into other things after reading cards, my small brains are still somewhere else anyway ;-)

Rasa

I actually do the 'picking the cards up in the reverse order I layed them down in' thing, but I never really thought much about it, and don't count while I'm doing it. It just kind of made sense to me to pick them up in that way and then gently shuffle them back into the pack.

When I was doing readings out of a store, I had fountain set up with candles on the table. At the beginning of the reading, I'd light the candles as the person was sitting down, and then I'd blow them out after we finished.

If something from the reading still feels really heavy in the room to me, after the querent has left, sometimes I'll bang the deck on the table a couple times to shake out the heebie-jeebies that might be stuck to it.

Alta

Rasa said:
..... sometimes I'll bang the deck on the table a couple times to shake out the heebie-jeebies that might be stuck to it.
I hadn't thought of that as 'ending', but I do that as well. Also to start a reading.

choirqueer

I'll often thank someone for having me read for them.

Jaqueline

Don't forget to thank your cards. . .

Moona

I just suffle the cards two or three times after reading. I have no other closing rituals, but this one is an obsession. I just can´t leave the cards incubating the issue of the day. They must be ready and "innocent" for the next time. :)

Rob

I pick up the cards in any order, put them back in the deck in places I choose at random, and then shuffle until I feel like I'm done. :)