How do you react when you receive a new deck?

MizGrace

I was curious because I just received two decks I sent for and didn't have high hopes for. I am pleasantly surprised by both. I seem to have bought intuitively and made decent choices. I am quite happy with my Cosmic Tarot 1998 box is wrecked and been sellotaped seller never mentioned that but cards book are brand new box is annihilated, that's some serious storage issues, that has made me feel irritated they wont get a positive feedback I will leave it empty. as I found them pretty snappy when I asked where the cards were... they said 'it was weekend in caps lock so didn't send it ok?' I thought ok glad to see you are a 'happy' person didnt respond except with OK capslock back ;-)
Voyager I love, its bright and wacky! really trippy 80s as if you have fell into labyrinth and Bowies mind all in one go ( yes, I enjoyed that cartoon, I wanted to be the girl to wander around with the puppets!).They are all different in their own ways. I need to sit with them and really go over the images to connect. maybe I shouldn't regret both decks being early publishing they are all first prints. 80s Although I am wishing id saved the cash for Witchy decks I feel a bit disappointed in myself as, I could have sat on the money for that 'one deck'
I need to flick through the cosmic and spiral hoping there are some posts on these decks.

How do you feel when you send for a new deck?
What is your reaction when you receive it?
is it a whim purchase? a need a must? or a want?
do you regret buying the deck after if so which do you regret and why?

*P.S I am in a lot of pain today I was in kitchen to feed the 'monster cat' and my back stuck groans must be old age.if im slow to reply sorry.on the up hand day off or till back sorts its self so I can sit with my decks. I will keep my laptop nearby but for yawn* paperwork. I dont usually give a negative but the female I bought the cards from id never buy from again. the box was sellotaped when it said NEW and box a little battered. sellotaped and dog eared and ripped isnt a little damaged. my backs making me grumpy.

DDwarks

It takes me a long time to chose a deck. I hate wasting money!
Once I've researched and made a connection through online window shopping that's it.....gotta have it now!

I've received today the Ancient Egyptian Tarot and I was like a kid at Christmas.
I've looked at all the cards one by one and gave myself a little 3 cards spread.
I absolutely love it and plan on buying another 2 as it's going to be my main reading deck.

The only decks I end up regretting buying (before receiving them that is) are the ones I haven't taken the time to "research"...I don't lead with the heart in case you hadn't noticed lol!
I usually feel better when I finally receive them and get to have a proper real look but not always.
I end up not even declaring I own them.

I'm waiting for another 2 decks to arrive now. One I've been dreaming about ( Reason wants it) and one see how it goes ( I listened to my heart!).

Back pain is just awful! I'm a sufferer too and I get what your saying about feeling old!
I feel like a rusty old tin most days because of it. So yeah, I feel your pain !

MizGrace

Enjoy your Ancient Egyptian Tarot DDawks wise advice not to just go and buy something!
I like that philosophy and I am going to try my best to stick to it.
I need to ask a question about my Cosmic having doubts if its the real thing or not uht-oh! p.s back pain yes its horrible!

Redfaery

I haven't regretted buying a deck since I joined Aeclectic, because now I'm better able to research them before I buy, and I stick to doing that. Granted, I've only had like, 10 or 12 decks ever, and that's not a lot compared to many here...In the past I did a lot of impulse buying, and I regretted the decks before I even got them home. I think researching decks before you buy is a much better way to go. ;)

ana luisa

*How do you feel when you send for a new deck?
Excited but not overly so. I have been VERY disappointed before so, a bit on the "let's wait and see".

*What is your reaction when you receive it?
It's funny you ask that :D I grab the brown package and go find a place where nobody can find me. It is an intimate stuff almost like eloping with a lover.

*Is it a whim purchase? a need a must? or a want?
I dont know how far you are in your Tarot journey but in the beginning, I tended to buy on a whim. There were so many gorgeous decks it was impossible to resist ! Then, as time wnet by, I realized that:

- whims tend to fade
- not all beautiful decks read well
- before buying I should look if possible at all cards to get the feel of the deck and try a mock reading with it. Yes, it is possible.
- decks with art that does not appeal to me usually read like a dream (but that's a personal quirk )
- some decks that didn't appeal to me AT ALL, may become a MUST/ WANT years later

*Do you regret buying the deck after if so which do you regret and why?
My disappointments aren't usually related to the deck as far as reading or art but the quality of stock and of images. For instance:

My Legacy of the Divine - LOVE the deck, it reads like a dream BUT the ink is coming off of the cards and the gorgeous images are fading. Luster is going fast and I do not have cash to buy replacements.

Pictorial Key - Paper stock is SO thin I cannot get myself to shuffle it without worrying about utter damage.

(the exception to the rule) Victorian Romantic - Gorgeous deck, wonderful stock. However, it refuses to talk. (THAT, imo, is the saddest of regrets). I still keep it for art's sake and in hopes that one day it will eventually want to start opening up...

Wisdom of the House of Night - I didn't realize knowledge of the stories would be important for the reading (in my case, at least). And the edges are DANGEROUS, man! Like ninja blades. Will eventually round the corners and lose some of its silver gilding...

Btw, I was SO excited to find a fellow ATer who also likes the Voyager!!! Love this guy to pieces! It you wish , we could open a thread to practice using it :thumbsup:
Hope your back is a bit better... (serious alliteration here...)

3ill.yazi

I try not to open them too quickly cuz I ripped a deck once doing that. Pause and breathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MizGrace

Redfaery Hello :) I think I am not far off your amount but im heading to twenty before long.
I am banning myself from buying any decks right now. I do get caught up in the imagery and not how it reads.

Ana Luisa - Voyager! sounds like a plan. if you wish to open a thread feel free to pm me perhaps we can figure something out :)
I would like to bookmark the study group also I think it will be of great help to me. TYVM for link CrystalSeas :)
3ill.Yazi ripped a deck I think I would get cross too still cant blame self, they should have wrappe dit carefully.
I once ripped material on a coat id ordered online because it was a rainy day and the packaging was soaked. I managed to tear the material too. I feel your pain.

I think I moreso locked my back leaning over sketching for hours on end and then when fed monster cat! she looked at me as if to say'Humans are so stupid mew ( im secretly laughing but, hurry up I want some food!)

nisaba

How do you feel when you send for a new deck?
A feeling of anticipation.

What is your reaction when you receive it?

Sheer and utter delight.

is it a whim purchase? a need a must? or a want?

I already own Tarot decks, so it can't be a must or a need. I'm not rich enough to buy anything I want just on a whim. So it'd be a want.

do you regret buying the deck after if so which do you regret and why?

I've never regretted a single deck. Even the hideous ones are delightful *because* they're hideous.