How do you select your cards after shuffling?

The Hanged Man

Sometimes I shuffle and deal from the top, sometimes I shuffle and cut and then reorder and deal from the top, sometimes I shuffle and then fan them out and pick at random. It varies all the time, it depends what mood I'm in.

EnglishRose

I shuffle and think of my question. Then i fan out the cards and pick the ones that draw me to them.

Alta

I think I have used most of these methods. :)

I shuffle (riffle shuffle), and then:
.... cut once and deal from the top of the cut, or,
.... cut three times and pick a pile at random and deal from the top, or,
.... fan and select at random.

Also I have done the 'stir them around on the floor and select at random' technique.

Mostly I do the first method.

celticnoodle

I shuffle until it feels right, then cut into 3 piles with my left hand and restack them and then deal from the top of the deck. While I am shuffling, & cutting the deck, I concentrate on my client and their question. Seems to work well for me. I've tried to mix the cards up by placing them face down on the table, but it seems to be more trouble than just shuffling them in my hands. I've also tried laying them out flat on the table and pick the cards out one by one for the reading--but more time consuming that way. I prefer my first method and use that most often.

Jewel

I shuffle while thinking my question, until it feels like is shuffled enough, then cut into 3 piles from left to right, re-stack from left to right, and deal off the top. The only deck I fan is the Faeries Oracle.

starrystarrynight

I shuffle, cut three times, restack from right to left and then deal from the top. I always consider the base or bottom card of the deck as part of the reading--not in a position, but as a sort of overview of the whole spread.

As you can see, everyone has his preferences, and no one way is the only or right way.

SunChariot

Usually what I do after shuffling is divide the deck into three piles, with my right hand. Then hold my left hand over each pile (about one inch above it) to feel which pile is giving off the most energy and/or heat. Then that pile goes on top, with the other two piles on the bottom. And I pull the cards from the top of the deck at that point.

I have tried other things on occasion, and everything I have tried has worked. I just think when we sincerely seek answers, the right cards come to us, no matter how we do it.

I have also tried things like holding the deck in my hand (face down) and letting a number come to mind. It has to be a number no higher than the number of cards in the deck. Let's say I hear a 12 in my mind. Then I just count of 12 cards, and the 12th card is the one.

I have even thrown the cards up in the air and chosen the ones that landed closest to me.

Or spread them all around me, and put some music one and closed my eyes till the end of the song, swaying to the music as I sat there, and till I forgot how the cards were layed out. Then at the end, still with my eyes closed, picked cards at random where my hand felt impelled to go.

It just always works!

Honestly, I have never not gotten the right cards no matter what I do. :grin:

Babs

Bridget

I shuffle a lot before each reading, both to mix the cards and to get myself in a meditative state of mind. I know it's time to stop when the cards stop mixing easily. Then I cut the deck into three piles, restack them, and deal all the cards from the top. I always cut with my left hand. (Because that's what Eden Gray said to do. Old habits die hard. :))

caridwen

I shuffle, cut three times and throw the appropriate number of cards up in the air where they circle my head and land in the correct positions for the spread. This takes concentration and much practice, it also helps to use goggles...hmmm in actual fact, I shuffle, cut three times and take the cards from the top of the deck.

If I need extra cards or clarification cards, I shuffle again although I know others carry on taking from the top. Sometimes I shuffle and fan the cards but I'm usually too lazy to do this even though it gives me my most accurate readings and it also takes a lot of space:)

oh yes and I have noticed that the card at the bottom of the deck is always trying to give me a message. Usually more important than the question I'm asking. I chanced upon this when I noticed one particular card stalked me from the back of the deck for nearly a year...strange but true:D

Annabelle

Any way I feel like it. :)

After shuffling, sometimes I make several little piles and choose cards from each pile. Sometimes I make piles, put the piles back together, and draw from the top. Sometimes I don't cut the deck at all (or make any piles), and just draw cards from the top. Sometimes I cut the deck once, recombine the cards, and draw from the top. Still other times I fan the cards out and pick at random.

One thing I never do is double-dip my divination techniques - i.e. I don't use a pendulum to choose cards, etc.

All that said, though, if I'm reading for someone else, and they are watching me (i.e. in a live reading), then I let them shuffle, have them cut the deck into three piles with their left hand, put the piles back together, and give the deck back to me - and then I pull cards from the top. I do it this way to create a sense of ceremony.