How do you store your cards?

LindaMechele

Score! That's fab, Yellel. I love those book boxes and that's a nice one. Sweet. I need to hit the resale shops again...

(Btw, Philistine, I love your ideas of "theme books" too. I just may do that with one special deck...)

LindaMechele

I tend to use tins for most of my decks. 2 oz stash tins are fine for poker sized or trimmed tarot sized cards.
What are the dimensions of those tins, ShadowDancer? And where do you get them? I'm having a hard time finding tins that are tall/deep enough. If the height and width are right, they're an inch or less tall - too short for a full tarot deck.

However, I have just had printed a 20" sq cushion cover, which I will use to store my own deck and associated paraphernalia . (Pendulum, journal, decks etc) The beauty of the cushion cover is that it can also be a double sided spread cloth. Just a one bag grab and go set up.
So your tarot bag is also a spread cloth? Genius!

LadyV

Nothing special for me. I keep my decks in pouches which are held in a tote bag along with my reading cloth.

starla

I generally keep my decks in their original boxes with the odd exception. I find large format boxes drive me to distraction and have binned one or two. I have some which I keep in old cigar boxes and a few in bags which I've picked up here and there.

I store them in the bottom drawer of a bureau my mother bought when she was first married, as well as in a 1920s oak cupboard which has three shelves in it. I bought it only a few months ago and it sits behind the door in my living room. Above it is a crucifix and rosary that belonged to my husband's grandmother and several orthodox icons from various European countries that my son's godfather visits on his composing and teaching trips. I use it as a sort of altar or shrine and light a candle on there and say my prayers most evenings. It's a good place to store my decks as it gives them the same sacred space and thought that I reserve for my prayers. They are an important part of my spiritual path and I see no reason to separate them from my Christian faith.

Having said all that....there are also decks on my bookcase, decks on my desk, decks in various handbags and drawers...:D

Starla
x

shadowdancer

What are the dimensions of those tins, ShadowDancer? And where do you get them? I'm having a hard time finding tins that are tall/deep enough. If the height and width are right, they're an inch or less tall - too short for a full tarot deck.

So your tarot bag is also a spread cloth? Genius!

The stash tins I bought via ebay, but they are the standard 2 oz stash tins. Ideal for poker sized or slightly larger.

Otherwise I purchased some tins from papermart. Larger but good for those larger decks and maybe a pendulum also. The ones I bought had the plastic windows. You should be able to order them okay if you live in the US.

I was lucky - we were in California from NZ for our honeymoon so dropped by and made a pick up purchase. Otherwise, they do not ship internationally.

http://www.papermart.com/metal-containers/id=19037-INDEX#19037

LindaMechele

Thanks, ShadowDancer. Yeah, I ran up against the papermart barriers of shipping and large case size (But I don't NEED 36!). Lucky you being able to buy direct! I did find some on Ebay, so I'll just try those for the shorter decks, and keep on looking in resale shops for the taller.

Fiver

Ok, this is a little bit of a humble brag but I was so excited I had to share. See attached for my new engraved French cabinet I obtained for my tarot collection. I got this at a ridonkulously huge antique store in my hometown of fort worth, tx (say what?). Yup, in Texas. I don't know crap about it but I'm determined to find out. It's around 4.5 feet high, 3 shelves, and carved doors. From France (supposedly) all oak. Either way, it's perfect to me.

Let me know what y'all think. Feel free to PM me if you possibly know anything about it.

(The girl in the picture is not me, but a family friend)

Attachments

• IMG_00001703.jpg
    IMG_00001703.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_00001700.jpg
    IMG_00001700.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_00001711.jpg
    IMG_00001711.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_00001712.jpg
    IMG_00001712.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 135

Cocobird55

The only thing I know is that it's beautiful! It looks perfect for decks.

SunChariot

Lately I've become dissatisfied with the way I store my decks. I keep the one I'm currently working with in a tarot card sized chest on my altar, which I'm fine with. My problem lies with how I store my other 3 decks. My altar is the top of a 'cube storage' shelf where the drawers are cubed mesh bins and I keep my cards in a mesh bin with my other divination things like my runes and pendulum. The bottom of the bin is full but volume wise it's pretty empty, does that make sense?

I think I'm unhappy with the depth of the bin, it just feels so empty in there and it makes storing crystals with my cards awkward. The emptiness of the bin makes things feel impersonal. I'm so sorry if I'm not making sense!

So, how do you store your cards?

Each is in a pouch that matches it. As for where they are....they fill up the 4 drawers in my 2 night tables AND the rest are in the top shelf of my dresser.

Babs