How do you turn to your Tarot when mentally disturbed??

vee

I don't think the cards do that. Readers do that. The cards are the same - it's our ability to interpret them under a more balanced light that gets disturbed by our mental state. The cards are just the cards...

I agree with this, that's why I try not to read when I'm upset. Clearing my mind allow me to read the cards instead of projecting what I am feeling onto them, at least to a lesser degree!

MareSaturni

Life is more fun to live, believing that the bunnies talk to me :) I'm sorry you don't have talking bunnies :-(

Oh...and there is too a Santa Claus!

I have talking owls, but since they never agree with each other, it's hard to find any solace in their company! :laugh: But it is fun, yeah!

I too consider my cards my friends, but I also know that I cannot understand them very well when I am upset. It's like those days in which everything your co-workers say ("did you finish xyz?", ""can we open the window it's too hot in here?", "can you do abc for me?" etc.) feels like direct criticism. LOL!

;)

pacificwaters

I guess I would in the future gravitate towards what Marina and Vee are saying. No doubt the cards do answer our questions when we are down, but at least for me I felt that my reading capacity was hampered when I was attempting to read them when in the blue.

And I firmly believe that the cards always tell the truth. Just wondering how one would react if actually the Tower shows up when you are low and ask the Deck whats the future like in store for you... It might depress you further... (just a thought)..Wont it????

Mellifluous

I suppose another factor to consider, if you are doing predictive reading while upset, and if you believe tarot works off the energy of the moment, ('if things continue in the same direction as right now...'), is that if you're mired in negative or confused energy, your decisions and actions wouldn't lead to anyplace that great. So, it would almost have to show negative outcomes.

Really though, I think it's more the impossibility of interpreting anything positively while upset, and that - for reasons best known to themselves :joke: - they do just tend to show you your worst fears at such times. I'm not, and never have been, a person who thinks the cards are 'always' right though.

pacificwaters

Is not even asking...When will all this end???..... a predictive question. I guess it is human tendency to turn to an oracle for answers when feeling negative...

And as for the other part I would say...The cards are always right, the reader may not be able to interpret them correctly...That's usually my take about the cards..

Just my views ...:)

hunter

I am finding this thread so interesting, because I am having such a different experience.

Maybe since crisis is my default setting, and I am never well, I don't have anything to compare my unwell readings to? I guess you can't miss what you never had?

I do know that people who think that tarot in general is bad, or just that people with psyche issues shouldn't use tarot, have come around to thinking they are a positive self-soothing choice for ME. Even the most hard core tarot haters laugh at the bunnies, and my stories about my most childish and ridiculous adventures with them.

Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to suggest tarot as a self-soother to others? Or Maybe I should always give a deck with a book like "Tarot Affirmations". Today I am planning on giving the Vanessa and my copy of "Tarot Affirmations" to a new friend that is struggling. My gut says yes, but this thread is making me a little anxious.

I don't know, but maybe if you have a tower moment every week, getting the tower just doesn't make much of an impression? I just think, yeh, so what else is new? Don't you have anything else to say, as I pull another card. I can line up tower, death and the 5 of swords in a row and just start laughing, and think, "I already knew THAT....and?????"

When things are a total mess, I get freaked over too many good cards. I think, "Hmmm....am I supposed to take these literally??? Seriously deck, come on! Are you ACTUALLY saying that is going to happen to ME????? Or am I just going to watch a TV with an episode where that happens to the main character? If you can't stick to answers about ME, I'm not playing with you today, and I'm going to pick another deck that will stick to the business at hand and that is ME!"

Mellifluous

Is not even asking...When will all this end???..... a predictive question. I guess it is human tendency to turn to an oracle for answers when feeling negative...

And as for the other part I would say...The cards are always right, the reader may not be able to interpret them correctly...That's usually my take about the cards..

Just my views ...:)

Yes. It is a predictive question. And yes, I think it is a natural tendency. It's akin to praying, except unlike with silent prayer, you expect to get a clear answer right away from an oracle.

And yes, that it what all people who believe that say. I have years of experience to the contrary, and never saw any basis for believing it anyway. Nothing in life is perfect or always right. Not even tarot.

If you keep a record of your readings, and look over them in hindsight, you'll see there's no way to match actual events and outcomes to certain cards drawn sometimes. You'd never have interpreted them the way things actually unfolded and neither would anyone else have... They were just wrong. It's simply not true that they can always be made to fit retroactively. Not if you believe they have any specific or intrinsic meanings at all. (And I think it's a cop out to claim that every time that happens it's because 'things just changed' since the time of the reading. Sometimes it only takes moments to find out the actual answer to something you asked.) But to each their own.

Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to suggest tarot as a self-soother to others? Or Maybe I should always give a deck with a book like "Tarot Affirmations". Today I am planning on giving the Vanessa and my copy of "Tarot Affirmations" to a new friend that is struggling. My gut says yes, but this thread is making me a little anxious.

Maybe not... not everyone is the same, and you seem to be unique in this way.

(As for why, I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. :) )

I have that deck, (and another called Tarot Affirmations, which is different from the book you're talking about), and books which include affirmations for each card, but it doesn't make any difference what deck I'm using when things are really bad.

That shouldn't necessarily stop you from giving a friend a gift though. :) It's up to them to discover how to use them in the ways that work for them.

VGimlet

I tend not to read for others when I am upset, disturbed or stressed out. I don't feel my readings are the best if I'm not in a good mental place.

However, I will read for myself. I can't say that the cards reflect back what I am feeling.
However, I do find my daily readings will often give me some comfort, or at least an idea of where things are going. Sometimes I take a step back, and read them as if I were reading for someone else in the same situation, so I keep perspective.

I do find it helpful, myself.

hunter

This is the Tarot Affirmations book I gave her.
http://www.amazon.com/Tarot-Affirma...9932/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315622140&sr=8-1

She really liked the Vanessa and the affirmations book :) I made her up a whole bag of self-soothing and recovery items and she was overwhelmed. She was only able to accept such a large bag, because I told her people had done it for me first, and that was why I had so much to share. I told her we are never to pay it backwards and are supposed to pay it forwards, and I was just doing my part in the chain and now it was her turn.

We were in a rush and I didn't have time to tell her about Nonny Mouse :)

For those of us conditioned to believe in scarcity, Nonny Mouse and pay it forward are very healing.

vee

Hunter, I definitely use the Tarot to self soothe. I just control it a little more, I guess, by only doing guidance one card draws or meditation on cards I pick.

I'm kind of always in a crisis mode too, or at least my mind is always harried and off in a thousand directions! :p I have ADHD and PPD and am just generally kind of a mess. When I'm super frustrated or depressed, trying to read a spread and see all the connections is just too much, and it will end up reductionist or I'll be really melodramatic, ie "I drew the Tower because I'm going to muck this up JUST LIKE I MUCK EVERYTHING UP I AM THE WORST." Drawing and/or choosing one card allows me to just focus and relax. *shrug* I think you 're right, everyone is different. It's great that it works so well for you! But in general, I think that when people are in bad mental states, they shouldn't read tarot until they've evened out, especially if they read in a predictive style.