How does the tarot speak to you?

Grizabella

You know, this question is asked over and over again, and try as we might, we can never quite come to a definitive answer.

The longer I use Tarot, the more fascinating, mystical, and awe inspiring it becomes for me. The more I think I've figured it out and know how it works, the more I learn that I've no clue how it works. The more I tire of it, the more enthused I become about it. The more bored I've become by it, the more smitten I've become with it. Tarot is like the ultimate lover. I'll never be without it as long as I live.

There's no real answer to this question, I don't think. It speaks to me in a place where nothing else can reach in a language of its own that I don't consciously understand and yet the answers are loud and clear. Sometimes the stepping off place is things I've learned about meanings, symbolism, etc. but then I find I've stepped into a realm I didn't know was there and have never learned about like the Fool stepping off his cliff.

The longer I use the cards, the more developed this becomes.

Fianic

You guys are right that it's a question we'd probably never answer, but I believe that it's important that we keep wondering and observe as do readings so that we may at least come closer to the answer :).

Sorry if this question is overdone to some of you, it just never occurred to me in the year I've been reading Tarot as I've largely done it on my own. It did seem that the Tarot tries to express itself in ways the reader can personally understand. I've only started to wonder whether it actually had a "universal" language recently as I've only really been active in this forum in the past few weeks and started looking qt other people's readings.

Padma

You guys are right that it's a question we'd probably never answer, but I believe that it's important that we keep wondering and observe as do readings so that we may at least come closer to the answer :).

Sorry if this question is overdone to some of you, it just never occurred to me in the year I've been reading Tarot as I've largely done it on my own. It did seem that the Tarot tries to express itself in ways the reader can personally understand. I've only started to wonder whether it actually had a "universal" language recently as I've only really been active in this forum in the past few weeks and started looking qt other people's readings.

I think all the posts here are correct in how they have answered you - all were different, but all were right too. Just like Tarot, and just like all the people who interpret the same card differently. I asked a similar question as you did, Fianic, in my 'One Tarot Spirit?" thread. My question was, does each deck have a voice and mind of its own, or is Tarot one voice that speaks through all the cards? And you are asking, does the Tarot speak to each person in a way that person can understand? Or is it a Universal language?

My personal views are much like Carla's post; however, I think SunChariot is alos correct. The card comes up, you see it, you interpret it in a way that feels "right" to you, and then there you have your answer. Others may add to it, but only *your* inner voice can tell you.

I am starting to think the Tarot is acutally a reflection and voice from our very own soul and mind, and the cards are just the keys that unlock our own voices. We already know - inside us, somewhere - what happens next. The Tarot will open the door to that knowledge if we use it to do so...I thnk they are just tools.