how much do you pay for a tarot bag

shadowdancer

my tarot bags cost $3 each.. and they are great. A lovely seller from the US via e-bay. I must have purchased in the region of 50 - 60 different designs from her now, and they are very well made.

She also makes wand pouches as well

Tarotphelia

I think it depends what goes into making the bag. We all know we can just stick the deck in a zip lock bag and be done with the functional part . But the tarot bag itself is a valuable and mystical part of the tarot experience in my opinion.

Many people don't understand what goes into designing and sewing things because they never have to do it themselves . And some really don't care too much what contains their decks because one thing is just as good as another to them, which is fine too.

But, other people like myself are very affected by fabrics and colors , and much like intoxicating scents they provide an energetically pleasing experience.

I charge depending on the complexity of the bag and the price of the fabric and embellishments , 5-20.00 ea.

fairyhedgehog

Dark Inquisitor said:
But the tarot bag itself is a valuable and mystical part of the tarot experience in my opinion.

It is for me too. The tarot totes bags I've got are great and I was puzzled why tabbycat's and sulis' bags cost more - until I saw the bags! I've decided that for me it is worth it to pay more for a custom-made, lined bag in gorgeous fabrics than to get something cheaper and less individual.

I also plan to have another go at making my own bags (I'm hoping for the loan of a sewing machine from my Mum) but that probably makes me even more amazed at the quality of the bags I have got from the two ATers. When I think about lining, and cords and beads ... it will all be fun to do, but it would not be cost effective to sell them. Even if mine turn out to be good enough, which is doubtful :D

Tarotphelia

fairyhedgehog said:
I also plan to have another go at making my own bags (I'm hoping for the loan of a sewing machine from my Mum) but that probably makes me even more amazed at the quality of the bags I have got from the two ATers. When I think about lining, and cords and beads ... it will all be fun to do, but it would not be cost effective to sell them. Even if mine turn out to be good enough, which is doubtful :D

You might surprise yourself ! Pm questions if you find yourself stuck at some critical point..

tabbycat

fairyhedgehog said:
I also plan to have another go at making my own bags... it will all be fun to do, but it would not be cost effective to sell them. Even if mine turn out to be good enough, which is doubtful :D
My first efforts at bag-making were pretty pathetic! I've got better with practise and worked out easier ways to put the fabric together neatly. I usually start by finding an irresitible fabric for the outer bag, then matching it up with a suitable lining and finding or making a cord of the right colour. The beads I just seem to stumble across - I'm forever collecting beads to suit my latest favourite fabric, and I do tend to prefer expensive, hard-to-get beads! I make a sample for me, to see how it works, then offer the best ones for sale. I'm just amazed that people like them so much - thank you all for the lovely things you've all said.
I am a horrible perfectionist (Virgo in everything!), so the little stitches and obsessive neatness come as standard. I do weird stuff too - I knot the thread three times and group beads in threes and fives, purely for the magical effect.

Poetic_Pirate

ive made ever bag i have. infact, every time i give a friend a deck, i make them a bag.... ^_^ i love to sew, what can i say?

fairyhedgehog

Dark Inquisitor said:
You might surprise yourself ! Pm questions if you find yourself stuck at some critical point..
Thanks DI, I'll do that if I get stuck! Although I probably need someone leaning over my shoulder saying, "no not like that, like this" :D

tarotbear

I make cloth bags with square bottoms ... it takes five times as long to explain how than to actually do it ~ which is very simple.

Alpha-Omega

I got lucky and found two bags the perfect size for my decks and i paid $0 :)

Tarotphelia

I forgot the most irritating thing about being in the business of making anything for money. TAXES ! In the US, the government will take around 30% of your profit by the time it gets sorted out . Instantly depressing.