How often ?

Michelle

Just curious to see how often you read for clients. Generally, I feel that every 3 months or so is often enough, unless they have some drastic changes occuring. I do have one client who would like a reading monthly, and it's difficult to convince him otherwise.

What do you all think ?

Thank you!

Namaste,
Michelle

Grizabella

I'd read for him monthly, then.

Why have you restricted clients to only every three months? I'm just curious.

I do know sometimes people will want readings on the same matter very frequently, so in that case I don't think that's productive. But if he wants readings on different things more often, I don't see any problem with it myself. :)

mickcmc

Dependence

I think that you are right to be cautious, but I also think that it really depends on your judgement about the situation.

One of the sad realities about Tarot is that it can attract people who have problems, and sometimes the reading can be seen by those people as a panacea, a way to solve lifes issues without needing to address them themselves.

However, it can also attract emotionally well and together people (like us he says hopefully) who believe that Tarot can help us sort problems out for ourselves. If the guy concerned is in the latter group, and wants advice on different subjects, great. If he is in danger of repeating the same question, or seems particularly vulnerable and potentially at risk of becoming dependent on the readings, rationing them is a very sensible idea for both you and the querents sake.

Just my view but I am a mental health professional as well as being a Tarot enthusiast!

Michelle

Solitaire* said:
I'd read for him monthly, then.

Why have you restricted clients to only every three months? I'm just curious.

I do know sometimes people will want readings on the same matter very frequently, so in that case I don't think that's productive. But if he wants readings on different things more often, I don't see any problem with it myself. :)

Hi Solitaire*,

I guess I never looked at is as restricting them , you've made a good point. Honestly, I think I read somewhere that every 3 months was frequent enough, so I've just gone by that. I didn't want to take advantage of anyone by reading them too often - or repeatedly on the same subject - as you've said.

You've made me think!

Thank you,
Michelle

Michelle

mickcmc said:
I think that you are right to be cautious, but I also think that it really depends on your judgement about the situation.

One of the sad realities about Tarot is that it can attract people who have problems, and sometimes the reading can be seen by those people as a panacea, a way to solve lifes issues without needing to address them themselves.

However, it can also attract emotionally well and together people (like us he says hopefully) who believe that Tarot can help us sort problems out for ourselves. If the guy concerned is in the latter group, and wants advice on different subjects, great. If he is in danger of repeating the same question, or seems particularly vulnerable and potentially at risk of becoming dependent on the readings, rationing them is a very sensible idea for both you and the querents sake.

Just my view but I am a mental health professional as well as being a Tarot enthusiast!

Hi mickcmc,

You have said very well, what I couldn't put into words. This particular gentleman seems like he could become dependent. I read him by phone in late December, then again this Wednesday and he would like to continue the reading in person next Tuesday. He is starting to concern me a bit. His life is quite a mess and if I can help him, I will gladly do so. I just don't want him to feel that he can't do things on his own.

Thank you for your help,
Michelle

Wisp Wings

Okay, I think you just answered my question. The question being is this the one and same man that's wanting to meet you in person for a reading and that you are a bit uneasy about. I would make a rule with him only every three to four months and a definite NO about meeting you in person anywhere. Do not give any information about your life to this person. I didn't get a good feeling about him from the start of the other thread. At best this person is going to use you as a clutch for his life. I think he has far more problems than you may be aware of and yes, he certainly could be or become a stalker. Somehow or the either, he is needing far too much from your input, your life. I would the next time he calls for you, tell him that your guides (even if by guides that means us - the flesh and blood kind) has told you that you aren't to read repeat customers unless three full months has past. Then tell him "Sorry, but that means only four times at the most per year. Would you like me to set up your next appointment time for this?" If he tries to tell you his problems and to sway you otherwise, let him know you have to stay objective and that he, himself has to live his own life and decide for himself.

Hopefully, if at all, you will hear from him only when the time has past. Better yet, he may decide that you just won't do and go find someone that will fit the bill, even if it isn't a reader but a hairstylist.

celticnoodle

Michelle said:
Just curious to see how often you read for clients. Generally, I feel that every 3 months or so is often enough, unless they have some drastic changes occuring. I do have one client who would like a reading monthly, and it's difficult to convince him otherwise.

What do you all think ?

Thank you!

Namaste,
Michelle
I think it also depends on the type of reading you do for your client. If one month you did just a general reading for him, and then a month later something new came about for him, like a job offer, then yeah, you can do another reading on this 'new job offer', even a week after doing the general.

My mother asks for one on a weekly basis. I use to (and sometimes still ) do a daily reading for myself. These are just what to expect for the day/week.

Grizabella

Yeah, if this is the person you mentioned on another thread, then I wouldn't agree to meet him in person. I don't see anything wrong with reading for him by phone once a month, so long as you're just telling him what advice the card show for him and not giving him personal advice yourself. If you've been chatting with him and giving him personal advice instead of sticking to the advice the cards have for him, that may be what's fueling his intense desire to meet you in person. At any rate, just keep it professional on the phone, not personal, and don't meet him in person.

Michelle

Wisp Wings said:
Okay, I think you just answered my question. The question being is this the one and same man that's wanting to meet you in person for a reading and that you are a bit uneasy about. I would make a rule with him only every three to four months and a definite NO about meeting you in person anywhere. Do not give any information about your life to this person. I didn't get a good feeling about him from the start of the other thread. At best this person is going to use you as a clutch for his life. I think he has far more problems than you may be aware of and yes, he certainly could be or become a stalker. Somehow or the either, he is needing far too much from your input, your life. I would the next time he calls for you, tell him that your guides (even if by guides that means us - the flesh and blood kind) has told you that you aren't to read repeat customers unless three full months has past. Then tell him "Sorry, but that means only four times at the most per year. Would you like me to set up your next appointment time for this?" If he tries to tell you his problems and to sway you otherwise, let him know you have to stay objective and that he, himself has to live his own life and decide for himself.

Hopefully, if at all, you will hear from him only when the time has past. Better yet, he may decide that you just won't do and go find someone that will fit the bill, even if it isn't a reader but a hairstylist.

Thank you Wisp Wings,

Yes, it is the same person. I wasn't trying to be deceitful , if that's how it came across :). And I totally agree with you, I can tell already that if given the chance, he would use me as his full time problem solver. I appreciate your advice and feel you have stated the best way to handle him. I think he is confused and lonely, has a really chaotic life and is looking for guidance. I would like to help him but he is going to have to keep it strictly reader/clien , not friend.

Thank you so much,
Michelle

Michelle

celticnoodle said:
I think it also depends on the type of reading you do for your client. If one month you did just a general reading for him, and then a month later something new came about for him, like a job offer, then yeah, you can do another reading on this 'new job offer', even a week after doing the general.

My mother asks for one on a weekly basis. I use to (and sometimes still ) do a daily reading for myself. These are just what to expect for the day/week.

Thank you, Celctinoodle. Right now he seems to have alot of change going on. He changed jobs and is having marital issues, so he does have a lot of questions. I really don't mind reading for him monthly if he truly needs, I just didn't want to appear to be taking advantage of anyone. And he does make me a little uneasy. I think I may read him by phone again and see how that goes.

Thank you !
Michelle