tarot vs astrology

gorgeousbutterfly

my therapist said she doesn't like tarot and finds it easier to use astrology. what do you think?

MoonLitCrystal

From what I understand of astrology, it is completely different than Tarot. Aside from the fact that astrology uses celestial bodies and Tarot uses cards, there are a few major differences.

Astrology uses the stars and the planets to explain things such as people's personalities, moods, events that have happened, and events that will happen. Each planet affects things differently, and when certain planets align that can even affects things. As you can probably tell I don't have much of a clue about astrology. While I don't dismiss it completely, I personally don't really take too much stock in what it has to say. But oh well, that's just me. I don't look down on anyone that is into it.

Tarot, on the other hand, simply explains why things are or how things are (depending on the question you ask). It does not come right out and say, "These planets are affecting this aspect of your life." It just says, "This situation is the way it is because of X." I suppose Tarot is open to all sorts of possibilities regarding what is influencing our lives. Tarot is a lot of work though, the cards depend on the reader to give them meaning and make them work.

I think that Tarot is much easier to understand than astrology. I just can't get into astrology when it's talking about Saturn being in my 10th house and Venus aligning with Pluto. I scratch my head and go, "Well what does that have to do with anything?" LOL I can lay out a spread of cards and determine what each of them mean; that's my cup of tea and that's just what makes sense to me.

When you say your therapist uses astrology, what did you mean? Does this person study it in depth and come to their own conclusions on what it means, or do they simply read their horoscope every day? I'm just curious because as I said, I don't have much experience with it.

balenciaga

I like the thoth deck because it uses astrology. I am very interested in astrology, but I cannot master all the math! I do find it very interesting though. And I try to pay attention to planetary aspects and their effect on me.
Tarot seems to be a more personal spiritual journey in some ways. More mundane aspects of life are easier to evaluate as is our relations with others. Tarot is more detailed. But those who use astrology with confidence will probably scoff at these comments (and I will not blame them!) So this is just personal commentary:)

berrieh

For a metaphor: Astrology is the architect. Tarot is the decorator.

You cannot predict specific events with astrology. (This is why I also find the Thoth deck harder to read for some of the most mundane questions.) You can predict energies, cycles, meaningful time periods, etc, and you can do so very far out and with some degree of accuracy, if you're looking at your very specific chart and the very specific chart of the "astrological weather" in tandem. (Not to be confused with your horoscope, which is rubbish.)

Tarot, however, can get into the nitty gritty, though is less good at predicting long-term or finding meaning in very broad events.

So, that's my Tarot vs. Astrology. It's not really about 'better.' That's like asking: "What's better---the number 3 or the color orange."

Well, better for what?

Laucian

Hello - I'm new to this site but not new to tarot nor astrology.

Tarot vs astrology is not like comparing the number 3 to an orange, it is like comparing Geometry to Algebra. You can do well not knowing anything about the other, but if you know both then you are going to be even FASTER and more ACCURATE in your findings.

I use the Thoth tarot too - but in my way of thinking, all tarot decks are based on the same principles but some cards act mnemonically different, reminding me right off about different factors expressed.

I prefer tarot over astrology because for me it is faster. To fully understand an astrological forecast, one should have a grasp as clearly as possible how the individual has responded in the past to certain events - on the other hand, with tarot, I'm usually "instantly" informed how the person has acted in the past and this makes my understanding of the present and future clearer.

siren85

I think that both tarot and astrology require lots of study and practice. Astrology is not as hard as it seems! lol. Both tarot and astrology took me a few years to learn before I really got the hang of it. Both I practiced on myself and friends to help me learn more, which is really critical for both. You can't get anywhere without lots of practice.

Honestly, astrology is alot easier for me lol. Maybe because I have been practicing it for over 4 years. I can more easily look at an astrology chart and get the overall gist of a person's personality right away, in comparison to reading a tarot spread. Astrology just comes more naturally to me. But then again, I still consider myself a beginner in tarot, so we'll see.

I don't particularly like studying 'Transits' and 'Progressions' in astrology though... (ie 'forecasting' or predicting upcoming events) I think Natal astrology and Synastry/Composite are much more accurate and reliable. Transits I've noticed aren't always correct at predicting events, changes, whatever. I've supposedly had dramatic, "life changing" Transits... and nothing happened really lol.

Tarot, IMO, is better for predicting events in comparison to Astrology. I can ask, "How will the party go tonight?", or "What will our relationship become?" and get an answer using tarot.. you can't do that with astrology.

Edit: I see berrieh has basically said what I just said lol.

gorgeousbutterfly

there's predictive astrology though.

Sakura Murasaki

I'm going to take a semi-educated guess, being a fan of astrology myself (though definitely no expert!): looks like predictive astrology takes a look at how likely an event will be based on the positions of the planets within the zodiac, and how the planets relate to each other (through squares, trines, etc.). What I don't know is if predictive astrology allows for the intuitive leaps that Tarot does, so I'll leave that to those who know it intimately...

To me, it's not which system IS better - the question is, which system is better for me, personally. For me, it's Tarot.

Sure, I subscribe to a free horoscope, but I couldn't tell you if it's likely something will happen to me based on Planet A's opposition to Planet B and why. I could tell you better with Tarot; that's the "language" I speak.

I'm gonna go out on a limb for this next sentence: I do believe that both systems can predict specific events. Ancient astrologers had been doing it for kings and queens for centuries (by how much success? Couldn't tell you). Italian cartomancy (there was a thread around here about that a while ago)... VERY specific, which it seems to me here in the west, we don't even try to do...

Well, even if I'm wrong, all I really want to say is that it all lies in belief. Believing in your divination system gives that system power, and imho, I see that the more power people puts in themselves and their system, the better that system seems to work (for them).

willowfox

If you learn horary astrology you will find that it can answer any question that comes into your head and with great accuracy.

Transits are also very useful for pinpointing turbulent times ahead as well as peaceful times.

Astrology tends to be a bit time consuming but with all the online sites that calculate charts for you, setting up a chart is an absolute breeze.

Tarot cards are fast and portable but some answers can be extremely vague as shown by all the people requesting interpretations in "the reading section" of this forum.

So, no system is really better than another when your brain has turned to mush.