How to connect with your deck?

Libra 58

How do you know that you are connected to your deck, what do you feel? I have many decks but only used about 6 of them, one deck at a time for a year each to read with and they are only just decks for me. So what to do?

Michael Sternbach

Use your deck and look at it often. Perhaps read books about it and take notes (other people's as well as your own thoughts) in a journal. You will feel it when (and to what degree, and in what way) you are "connected" to a deck.

RiverRunsDeep

How do you know that you are connected to your deck, what do you feel?

When I connect with a deck, I feel a delicious sense of anticipation to use the deck, and the readings flow smoothly and almost effortlessly.

I have many decks but only used about 6 of them, one deck at a time for a year each to read with and they are only just decks for me. So what to do?

Personally, I can't "force" myself to connect with a deck; I either like it, or I don't. If I don't, I sell or trade the deck for cards that are more appealing. I like to spend time researching decks and googling images, so I know which decks are likely to strike a chord for me. I know that I love dark decks, that the color/theme/style of the artwork is important to me, and that I prefer illustrated minors. When you hone in on your specific interests and preferences, it is somewhat easier to find a deck you are likely to connect with.

If you are hoping to connect with a deck you already own, but seems like a dud....I have no good advice except, as I already mentioned, to pass it on to someone else and find something that is more appealing to your personal taste. Best of luck!

nisaba

How do you know that you are connected to your deck, what do you feel?

You feel okay about using it.

I have many decks but only used about 6 of them, one deck at a time for a year each to read with and they are only just decks for me.

That's fine. Did they work, did you understand them? Then you are connected to them.

So what to do?
Keep on keeping on. :)

Citrin

Use it. :) And don't be afraid to use it "too often" or not only purely for divination. Use it in meditation (Does not have to be as complex as it sounds! Maybe put on 5 minutes of nature sounds music, clear your mind, sit and look at one of the cards that you like, done!), simply look at the cards for inspiration, put one out on your altar (If you have one, I don't but sometimes like to keep a card at my desk instead), etc...

And make sure that the decks you have make you feel something when looking through them. Do the images evoke any emotions? Do any cards make you feel uncomfortable? Or happy? Or comforted? Etc... Make sure you feel something, because if you don't they might not be the decks "for you" and you might want to trade them for something that draws you in more. :)

Thoughtful

l get the connection when l instantly feel that buzz of excitement and get the feel of my intuition kicking in. You need to feel a warm and welcoming feel in your deck. That's what makes the connection l believe

If you don't feel a connection after a few days/weeks then maybe not the deck for you.
Many decks l have opened have been disappointingly low key and flat, no matter how l try to work with them it all falls down.

For me its a very quick knowing.

gregory

You feel okay about using it.

That's fine. Did they work, did you understand them? Then you are connected to them.

Keep on keeping on. :)
What she said. If you get good readings form them - you're connected. I see by the electric light on my desk, but I am not connected to the power supply as such - god forbid !

Libra 58

Thank you all for your answers! I will try to work with them more often, instead of just looking at the pictures!

KandiSkull

Peronsally, I love using the cards every day as a method of spellwork or prayer. I pull 3 cards first thing in the morning and spend time refecting on them and see how they appear in my life that day. More often than not the accuracy surprises me. Meditation is another great way to get familiar with the cards. Pick one card and meditate with it, think about the meaning of the card and relate it to your life, the memories you've experienced that would be represented in that card. Good luck with your deck and your tarot path!

Nemia

I always have a deck with me in my bag or on my desk. I shuffle, put it back in order, pick a card to encourage me and to cut down on procrastination (Chariot! Chariot!! Chariot!!!), and I change this deck every couple of days. I like the idea of keeping my decks nice and warm ;-) even if I have no question to ask them.