How to connect with your deck?

lark

I do a daily draw.
Some people love them...some people hate them but...
It is a way of working with a deck that helps you pretty quickly discover if a deck is going to form a connection with you, and be a good talker.

I read for clients so that is a little different...my decks have a job to do, and I want to give the best reading I can to a client.
So if I feel comfortable grabbing a certain deck to do a client reading and it gives me a feeling of confidence and l feel like I can count on it...I know I'm connected.
Sometimes that happens at first sight and sometimes you have to get to know a deck through use.
And sometimes sadly you just never click, but that can be exciting too because that often means another deck moves into it's place.

If I could go back and start my tarot buying all over again I would do one thing differently.
I would NOT make multiple deck purchases.
Sometimes in my enthusiasm as a new collector I had 4- 5 decks come in at the same time.
Once I ordered almost every deck I liked in the US Games catalog.
The guy on the phone wanted to know if I was opening a store..LOL
I couldn't possibly give every deck the time it deserved with that kind of overload.
I'd do it different now...buy one deck get to know it, pass it on, or keep it as a usable deck.

I think you really know when you are connected to an intimate set of decks when you do a reading and someone asks, What deck did you use??? and you can't remember...because then you know it has gone beyond being about a certain deck, and all about the energy of the reading it self.
Then you see your decks as the tools they really are.

greatdane

When I first get a deck, I shuffle, look through it

Some decks I have go through and just journal card by card, write my impressions.

Touching the cards matters to me because I'm really tactile. That's why I only want a physical deck, I like to handle the cards.

But I think with anything, whether reading, gardening, cooking, drawing, the more you engage with it, the more in tune with it you become.

rylla

As one can connect with a deck more or less, maybe it's easier to answer how it feels when you DON'T connect with a deck. For me is placing the cards in a spread, looking at them and drawing a blank. I don't get what the pictures are showing or any impressions from the cards - I have to force myself to use what I know about the meaning of that card because the card in front of me doesn't help me with the interpretation. In other words they don't speak to me. Then I know I am not connecting with those cards. For me the difference between connecting with a deck or not is quite a strong feeling and happens in an instant.

bonebeach

I'm in camp "use it." I don't think it has to be complicated, although you might enjoy more in depth study with some decks.

That said, the one thing I might do when I'm really warming up to a deck, or, conversely, I think I should: I read outside. In the park, in the graveyard, in the coffee shop, anywhere. That's not to everyone's tastes, but I'm just throwing that out there.

Libra 58

As one can connect with a deck more or less, maybe it's easier to answer how it feels when you DON'T connect with a deck. For me is placing the cards in a spread, looking at them and drawing a blank. I don't get what the pictures are showing or any impressions from the cards - I have to force myself to use what I know about the meaning of that card because the card in front of me doesn't help me with the interpretation. In other words they don't speak to me. Then I know I am not connecting with those cards. For me the difference between connecting with a deck or not is quite a strong feeling and happens in an instant.

That was interesting and probably answer my question best of all!
I draw a card every day and have done for the past 7 years.