I Ching/Yi Jing Study Group: Basic Questions

Sophie

Marion said:
Well, among the experts here, I am likely the most simple-minded. There are 64 hexagrams plus 6 possibilities for moving lines in each. I started in 1984 and use it a lot and I have never even tried to memorize all that. I always use the book as a starting point.

That being said, yes, after a while you remember quite a few of the hexagrams and some of the more striking lines.
I am like you. Never tried to memorise anything, but it sticks.

I like to look at the shape of the ideogrammes. There is much information there. Not only text - but image.

bradford

Terms

RE:
Today I'm after what are the Chinese Yijing terms for:
Old Yin, Old Yang, Young Yin, Young Yang

Tai Yin, Tai Yang, Shao Yin, Shao Yang

Bit of trivia here:
Yin and yang are not part of the original Yijing.
Yin is only used to mean "shade" at 61.2
Even in the Wings, Gang and Rou (firm and flexible)
are more common than Yin and Yang.

bradford

Terms

And more trivia-
You'll find almost half of published authors writing Shao Yang as binary 10 and the rest writing it as 01. The latter is correct. This nomeclature didn't come into being until Shao Yong in the 11th century, making his work the final word on the question. This may help us learn which of the authors has been doing the assignments and who's just making stuff up.
The question of whether "heads" (or the side of the Chinese coin with four characters) has a value of 2 or 3 is equally disputed, but it has no right answer. This becomes a personal preference, but it's a choice to stay with once made.

shandar

Oh Woe is Me

My basic problem is that I am from the northern European culture and so steeped in Germanic and Latin-based language, I feel like a bird flying into the glass window of Chinese pictograms. It is so frustrating. I want to understand the language so I can personally interpret it, but that will take some time. And, as the quintescential wand personality, I am drawn by the poetry, then by the pictograms, then by the changing/transforming/striking lines, and this and that. All these ditjes and datjes have my head spinning.

The language draws me in and is uplifting, and the Confucian moral overlay makes me think. The Yijing is so vast. It is like looking at a building with a simple facade. However, upon entering you are presented with exquisite architecture and forms which would take lifetimes to explore.

I just don't know how to proceed.

Fulgour

bradford said:
RE: Today I'm after what are the Chinese Yijing terms for:
Old Yin, Old Yang, Young Yin, Young Yang
Tai Yin, Tai Yang, Shao Yin, Shao Yang
Gang and Rou (firm and flexible) are more common
than Yin and Yang.
If I wanted to develop my own (home) references,
would I be on solid ground if I used the terms:

Tai Rou (Tai Yin ~ Old Yin)
Tai Gang (Tai Yang ~ Old Yang)
Shao Rou (Tai Rou ~ Young Yin)
Shao Gang (Tai Gang ~ Young Yang)

? :)

Oh yeah... and I'm pretty sure it's good form to use:
"Ba Gua" for the 8 Trigrams, but what about
"Liu Shi Si Gua" for the 64 Hexagrams... can
that be acceptably shortened in some way?

bradford

Chinese

Fulgaur-
The word Gua, diagram, refers to both sets of eight and sixty four (and the four too, for that matter). But it's accepted form to use Gua for the hexagrams, Ba Gua for the Trigrams (single or plural) and Si Xiang for the four. Several ways to say the Two. My Glossary has all the important terms describing dimensions of the Yi, as well as all the words used 5 or more times.

Shandar-
There is NOTHING easy about either Chinese OR the Yijing. That's why I wrote my book - to hit all the ought-to-know stuff about both in just two volumes.
To save people the extra years I had to put in. There are people who call themselves Masters in this field, but I understand that as meaning "pretentious egotist".

shandar

Thanks B

I know I'm whining. I read Hatcher daily, and am awaiting other resources. My frustration is not understanding the language. But I trudge along, working like Ben Franklin, one word at a time.

I am reading part 5, with the translations and have a question: The character for Qian is composed of the sun, sun's rays, the earth, and a sprout with its root. Should we be dissecting the pictogram and understanding its component parts, or just forgetting that for now and digesting the pictogram in its entirety.

bradford

Ideograms

Hi Shandar-
Etymology isn't the science it pretends to be. And it's gotten the academics (including Kunst & Shaughnessy) into some truly hopeless messes. I would use character composition carefully, as a valuable side path, and focus on dictionary definitions primarily. Use things like etymology and historical references as added sources. LiSe Heyboer (you know the site) has a pretty fair handle on etymology without going too far overboard,

shandar

Ideograms

You are right. I am reviewing Kunst's unpublished notes. While recognizing that the work is academic and hence has be examined from that point of view, I have to admit I find the etymological detective work just a little humorous.

In this regard, and because I am the Ace/Kn of Wands, I consulted the oracle and obtained 30 Li with changing lines at 1 and 5. Li becomes 56 Traveling/Wandering, becomes 33 - Distancing. The Oracle has said it all.

I was looking on the web for ancient chinese fonts and found the Hong Kong University, "Chant" site. This is an extremely interesting site, which has been working very hard to translate ancient texts. They say that you must download their font set to view their documents, but I can't find the font download page.

Brad, where did you get your font set?

bradford

Ideograms

The font set I use in the Matrix and Glossary is Apple Li Sung Lite.
It came with my iMac (OS 9.1) in the Language Kits.
CJK fonts are huge so I narrowed my choices down to that and Taipei.
I still don't input the characters. All my Chinese texts were cut and paste.