I need someone to convince me to buy Medieval Scapini

Aina

There's some funny story with Medieval Scapini for me. I wanted to buy it for about 4 months or so. At last I found it and ordered it, it arrived to my house and I returned the order together with the Visconti tarot deck.

I have seen the full deck the night before that and I don't know if it was me or the "reality" but the deck freaked me out. I thought it looked scary, creepy and inappropriate. Now before I totally never noticed anything weird about it. All I saw in it was nice backs, nice color, nice size, nice borders, nice pips, nice Medieval imagery and overall an amazing Medieval deck.

After the month passed I'm peeking at it again on Google. Is it really creepy? Have you noticed? Any experiences using it? How does it feel. Any weird experiences? Anything good to say about the deck to convince me to buy it?

FrauGrandDuchess

There's some funny story with Medieval Scapini for me. I wanted to buy it for about 4 months or so. At last I found it and ordered it, it arrived to my house and I returned the order together with the Visconti tarot deck.

I have seen the full deck the night before that and I don't know if it was me or the "reality" but the deck freaked me out. I thought it looked scary, creepy and inappropriate. Now before I totally never noticed anything weird about it. All I saw in it was nice backs, nice color, nice size, nice borders, nice pips, nice Medieval imagery and overall an amazing Medieval deck.

After the month passed I'm peeking at it again on Google. Is it really creepy? Have you noticed? Any experiences using it? How does it feel. Any weird experiences? Anything good to say about the deck to convince me to buy it?

I am partial -- the Medieval Scapini deck was my first deck and I was immediately drawn to it. I love medieval art and am intrigued by ornate design and abundant symbolism... So it was perfect for me to own, although I do think it was a poor choice as a first deck.

Each card is SO laden with symbolism and a jumble of images that I was constantly overwhelmed, trying to take all of it in. I've read many a post on this dear site condemning this deck for its ugliness, crudeness, or scariness. But it is depicting medieval times, after all. It was a time plagued by social inequality, war, and sickness.

Also, from an art history perspective (I am a student of art history), it's a lovely deck. Especially because Scapini was the artist commissioned to finish the incomplete Visconti-Sforza deck (as published by US Games). While working on that project he was inspired to create his own deck. The figures are at times grotesquely drawn and some would say badly drawn as well. I think their strange quality actually adds to the overall feel of the deck. The accompanying booklet gives some description of the symbolism and reasoning behind each card, but I've also enjoyed reading the book Art and Arcana written by Ronald Decker, which is a much more in-depth look at each card and its symbolism.

It's not a Rider-Waite-Smith clone. It doesn't try to be. But it does draw on much of the same symbolism, and even visually references some cards directly. It's full of surprises. Like a Where's Waldo for tarot enthusiasts. I say get it.

FrauGrandDuchess

Also, this thread (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=205240) brings up an important point -- there are two versions of the deck. The newer one I just saw in person in a store was not as nice feeling as the one I have (which was purchased in 1994 and printed in the 80s). So that is something to consider. The older version is much more pleasing in a tactile sense, with smooth matte cards and beautiful gold details. You may be able to find one to buy or be traded on here!

nisaba

Is it really creepy?
No.

Any experiences using it?
It does good readings.

How does it feel.
Just fine. Most of my decks feel the same, which I can only assume is the feel of my own energy.

Any weird experiences?
er ... What's weird to other people is perfectly normal to me. In fact, I don't think I've ever had an experience I regard as weird. And I'm only afraid of physical danger. After all, what else is there to be afraid of? Nothing else can hurt you.

Anything good to say about the deck to convince me to buy it?
IT's a good working deck, and be definition all the decks designed by Luigi Scapini are desirable.

Le Fanu

Really, nobody can convince you to buy a deck. You either want it or you don't. But just so there's another perspective...
I love medieval art and am intrigued by ornate design and abundant symbolism...Each card is SO laden with symbolism and a jumble of images that I was constantly overwhelmed
I love medieval art and am intrigued by ornate design and abundent symbolism symbolism and have been constantly underwhelmed by this deck.
Also, from an art history perspective (I am a student of art history), it's a lovely deck.
I've got a masters in art history and studied it for years and find it a very uninspiring deck. See? How different we all are. But I'm guessing from your post that you already want to buy it so - hey - why not buy it? Nisaba's good at enabling on the Scapini and she knows her stuff but by asking everyone you risk differing opinions ;)

nisaba

<cackle>

You've gotta remember that this isn't really a mediaeval deck, it's just Medieval [sic.] in name only. It's a modern deck created by a modern artist.

I happen to like his work.

It *is* derivative, though - if you trawl through especially the MAjors, you'll find that he even dresses many of his figures in the same clothes as the Visconti figures from the 1400s.

Now THERE's real mediaeval art.

Aina

I am partial -- the Medieval Scapini deck was my first deck and I was immediately drawn to it. I love medieval art and am intrigued by ornate design and abundant symbolism... So it was perfect for me to own, although I do think it was a poor choice as a first deck.

Each card is SO laden with symbolism and a jumble of images that I was constantly overwhelmed, trying to take all of it in. I've read many a post on this dear site condemning this deck for its ugliness, crudeness, or scariness. But it is depicting medieval times, after all. It was a time plagued by social inequality, war, and sickness.

Also, from an art history perspective (I am a student of art history), it's a lovely deck. Especially because Scapini was the artist commissioned to finish the incomplete Visconti-Sforza deck (as published by US Games). While working on that project he was inspired to create his own deck. The figures are at times grotesquely drawn and some would say badly drawn as well. I think their strange quality actually adds to the overall feel of the deck. The accompanying booklet gives some description of the symbolism and reasoning behind each card, but I've also enjoyed reading the book Art and Arcana written by Ronald Decker, which is a much more in-depth look at each card and its symbolism.

It's not a Rider-Waite-Smith clone. It doesn't try to be. But it does draw on much of the same symbolism, and even visually references some cards directly. It's full of surprises. Like a Where's Waldo for tarot enthusiasts. I say get it.

Thanks for your post! Art History was my favorite subject in school and I do appreciate Medieval art. Visconti is a lot gentler than Medieval Scapini though. I wouldn't say the figures are badly drawn but grotesque is the word! I wouldn't say it's ugly either, but those little angry animals are a little too angry. In any case Medieval were the gloomiest times in Europe and I guess the deck is the way it is because the artist managed to express the mood better than good. Thanks again for your convincing positive Scapini review.

Aina

Really, nobody can convince you to buy a deck. You either want it or you don't. But just so there's another perspective...I love medieval art and am intrigued by ornate design and abundent symbolism symbolism and have been constantly underwhelmed by this deck. I've got a masters in art history and studied it for years and find it a very uninspiring deck. See? How different we all are. But I'm guessing from your post that you already want to buy it so - hey - why not buy it? Nisaba's good at enabling on the Scapini and she knows her stuff but by asking everyone you risk differing opinions ;)

Highly appreciate your reply! Now I am really curious WHY is this deck so uninspiring to you? IS Visconti more inspiring? :)

Aina

<cackle>

You've gotta remember that this isn't really a mediaeval deck, it's just Medieval [sic.] in name only. It's a modern deck created by a modern artist.

I happen to like his work.

It *is* derivative, though - if you trawl through especially the MAjors, you'll find that he even dresses many of his figures in the same clothes as the Visconti figures from the 1400s.

Now THERE's real mediaeval art.

Yes, yes, I know it isn't a real medieval deck but a modern deck being inspired by medieval theme. I guess that modern artists have more freedom to depict humor in their decks because after comparing Visconti and Medieval Scapini it seemed to me that Scapini is making fun of Visconti and simply playing with those clothes, those figures. He gets some really angry little animals attacking the leg of the Fool and there was an angry pig somewhere and the crab also looked aggressively big and the moon liked like he's in a bad mood...Lovely disturbing interpretation of innocent creatures :) But I still can't get it out of my mind.

Le Fanu

Highly appreciate your reply! Now I am really curious WHY is this deck so uninspiring to you? IS Visconti more inspiring? :)
Yes, but even so, the Visconti isn't a favourite. If it is for you then that may be where we differ. I find the Scapini more 70s than Medieval in its art style.

I tend to go for the more woodcut decks. Even Dame Fortune's Wheel feels more historical for me; sort of done in that style with more pop art colours. I do like the Golden Tarot of the Renaissance which is the reworked Grigonneur deck, something between the Visconti and woodcut decks.