I need someone to convince me to buy Medieval Scapini

Aina

Yes, but even so, the Visconti isn't a favourite. If it is for you then that may be where we differ. I find the Scapini more 70s than Medieval in its art style.

I tend to go for the more woodcut decks. Even Dame Fortune's Wheel feels more historical for me; sort of done in that style with more pop art colours. I do like the Golden Tarot of the Renaissance which is the reworked Grigonneur deck, something between the Visconti and woodcut decks.

No, I do not own Visconti but I do like it. I like Tarot of Marseilles and Ancient Italian Tarot as well as Minchiate and that style that Catholic postcards are made in. I like a little bit of tasteful kitsch and the style that was made from burning metal with the acid, that looks like ink drawing or something heavily shaded.

I don't know many woodcut decks (Marseilles?) but my first tarot was Jonathan Dee's that looks like woodcut and it feels nice. Also I wanted t buy Light and Shadow tarot that's black and white and has a really nice linoleum or wood cutting art examples. DO you have that deck by any chance? If yes, then how's the card-stock?

Hmm, I've never even googled Dame Fortune's Wheel but I've heard the name a lot. I will go now and check it out.

*After googling*
Dame Fortune's Wheel looks really nice!

Cheiromancer

I think we are kindred spirits, Aina! I have ordered a Medieval Scapini deck (with some trepidation) and also the Dame Fortune.

Whoa! I just looked at the amazon page, and it says its been delivered! I better go check the mail... :D

edit: It's here, and it is beautiful! I don't quite understand some of the details (the Star is a man!?) but already I can tell that I love it. Illustrated pips, but not with RWS readings!

kalliope

This was one of my first three or four decks, back in the 90's. I think I have one of the "good" printings, and was drawn by The Popess/High Priestess in the window of the cutout box, and it's still a card I find beautiful.

For as much as I find it attractive, I've never read with it much. Some of the minors are definitely more inspired by Etteilla's meanings than the RWS, and that threw me off for years. I did, however, once start on a project to study the Dame Fortune's Wheel and the Medieval Scapini together, since they have that in common, and I found that helpful. I used Huson's Mystical Origins of the Tarot as a guide, and would recommend it. (Got sidetracked and never finished that project, though.)

Aina, I know a bit what you mean about the grotesqueness of the art, in some cards at least. But I do like the quirkiness of it. I find the deck to have two incongruent aesthetic styles, though. Some of the cards, especially the Majors, strike me as lovely or ornate (The Popess, Justice, The Sun). I also love the Knight of Wands, Ace of Disks, Two of Wands, Queens of Swords and Cups. I enjoy the threat of The Moon and The Tower.

But then most of the Minors have a humorous, sly vibe which feels very different. It helps me tremendously to think of the deck as theatrical: lots of over the top "characters," almost goofy faces, and scenes that look like they'd be crass comedies if brought to the stage. I think of traveling theater companies from a medieval-esque era. That shady Page of Swords! The strange knights of the Two of Swords, the scrambling, comedic Knight of Swords, the gamblers of the Seven of Coins, the high-jinks of the Eight of Wands... If you can get on board with this aspect of the deck, you might be able to enjoy it.

kalliope

I don't quite understand some of the details (the Star is a man!?)

What? You think?? She's definitely got a female chest. Although she does have a somewhat masculine jawline. Is that why you say she appears to be a man?

FrauGrandDuchess

Le Fanu's suggestion of the Golden Tarot is a great one. Kalliope is spot on about the Scapini deck being theatrical! I have never applied that word to describe the deck but it is totally true.

Cheiromancer

What? You think?? She's definitely got a female chest. Although she does have a somewhat masculine jawline. Is that why you say she appears to be a man?

Are we talking about the Dame Fortune Tarot? By Paul Huson and Lo Scarabeo?

kalliope

Are we talking about the Dame Fortune Tarot? By Paul Huson and Lo Scarabeo?

Ah -- I thought you were talking about the Medieval Scapini, since the DFW was sort of mentioned only in passing. Makes much more sense!

As for the DFW Star, Huson I think mentions a little about the maleness in his book. Earlier decks had mostly androgynous or male figures figures, and modern decks moved to mostly female figures for the Star.

sapienza

Some of the minors are definitely more inspired by Etteilla's meanings than the RWS, and that threw me off for years. I did, however, once start on a project to study the Dame Fortune's Wheel and the Medieval Scapini together, since they have that in common, and I found that helpful. I used Huson's Mystical Origins of the Tarot as a guide, and would recommend it. (Got sidetracked and never finished that project, though.)
I think the two decks work well together and Huson's Mystical Origins is a great companion to working with them both. Once I discovered the Etteilla meanings the Scapini suddenly made sense to me. It's a very interesting deck with many layers but definitely try and get hold of the good/earlier printing, there is no comparison.

Le Fanu

No, she is a man. Many people dislike this deck (irrationally to me) because the Star card features a man.

(ETA; referring here to Dame Fortune's Wheel)

Morwenna

It's full of surprises. Like a Where's Waldo for tarot enthusiasts.

That's a perfect analogy! :D

As for the angry animals, I haven't noticed that really, but if I did I wouldn't think much about it, because much actual medieval art does have animals that look like that; I've seen similar ones in pictures of books of hours and the like.

I don't quite love the deck to pieces, but I am quite fond of it. (Yes, I have the good printing.)